Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 01-04-2002, 12:52 AM

Hello guy's. This is my first time on and I have a question. I am rebuilding the 400 in my 78 t/a I am having a problem with my push rod length. I had the 6x heads milled 0.060 and now it seems as if my stock push rods are to long. Talking to the machine shop they are now telling me {after the fact} that I have to by an adjustable push rod and refigure my valve train geometry. First thing I have no idea how to do this {and they are no help} the other thing is I have read and been told that you can use big block Chevy rocker studs which makes the valves adjustable. Is this true? If so what do I need know and what parts do I need {besides studs}. Do I adjust the valves as I would for a Chevy? Thanks for any help that you can give me.

Old 01-04-2002, 12:52 AM

Hello guy's. This is my first time on and I have a question. I am rebuilding the 400 in my 78 t/a I am having a problem with my push rod length. I had the 6x heads milled 0.060 and now it seems as if my stock push rods are to long. Talking to the machine shop they are now telling me {after the fact} that I have to by an adjustable push rod and refigure my valve train geometry. First thing I have no idea how to do this {and they are no help} the other thing is I have read and been told that you can use big block Chevy rocker studs which makes the valves adjustable. Is this true? If so what do I need know and what parts do I need {besides studs}. Do I adjust the valves as I would for a Chevy? Thanks for any help that you can give me.

Old 01-04-2002, 01:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

First off, changing your rocker studs will not change your pushrod geometry, it will just allow you to adjust the valve train. To make it easy, if you think your push rods were correct to begin with, just buy a set that is 0.060" shorter. If you are not sure, buy an adjustable push rod. The challenge is that you will either have to use light valve springs with your hydraulic lifter, or you will have to use a solid lifter. If you use a solid lifter you have to make sure you know the difference in the height the push rod sits at between the two. The result you are after is to get the rocker contact point in the center of the valve stem at one half the valve lift of the cam. It sounds more complicated than it is. However, it is an eye test with standard rockers. It is much easier to do with roller rockers. Another way is to put grease on the valve stem, rotate the engine through the cam lift cycle for that lobe, and check the track of the rocker on the valve stem. Again the result you are after is for it to swing the same distance from the center of the valve stem on both sides. Remember that a hydraulic lifter will not be fully extended in normal operation. It will be depressed anywhere from 0.000-0.0100” depending on what lifters you are running and how you adjust them.

Old 01-04-2002, 07:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Give me a call i can get you an adjustable pushrod & rocker studs & explain to you what to do but it is very similiar to what OMT said. 1-800-517-1035 ext 6225.