Old 05-20-2010, 06:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Ram Air

My 68 GTO still has its numbers matching 400 HO with 360 H.P. and 4-speed. It is a non-console car with no PS or PB. I would love to add Ram Air. Have any of you had any expierence with the aftermarket Ram Air setups that are on the market. Previous owner added a Perfomer Intake and Holley Street Avenger carb. This engine runs very smooth and is very powerful. I don't know if this intake is taller than the stock or not. I am concerned about the hood closing with this intake and carb. Any suggestions?

Old 05-20-2010, 06:54 PM

The Performer intake is the same height as a stock intake and the Holley carb isn't any taller than a stock Q-jet carb.

I'm not sure if the Holley carb will be compatible with the air cleaner base. I know the float bowls will hit the base in some cases, but that might just be happening with the Holley double-pumper carbs.

I'd be very tempted to put a stock iron intake and carb back in place, to futher enhance the 'numbers matching' aspect and to likely realize a performance gain.

But that's just me.

The factory intakes are known to out-power the Performer intake on the 400/428/455 engines, the only real advantage of the Performer is the ability to bolt on a square-bore Holley carb (Q-jets will fit as well).

Old 05-20-2010, 08:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I didn't know that about the intakes. I guess the Pontiac engineers knew what they were doing.The Holley carb is new and runs great.I hate to start messing with it cause it runs so good like it is. Maybe someone would like to trade an factory intake and quardajet for my setup. I am going to start searching for correct intake on our forum and probaly ebay. Can someone give me some numbers to look for.

Last edited by rememberfireball#22; 05-20-2010 at 08:21 PM. Reason: additional text
Old 05-20-2010, 09:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The aftermarker 68 RA bases are designed to clear the Holley carb.

An original base will hit the Holley carb

Old 05-20-2010, 09:20 PM

The 68 ram air set up has no flaps so you are running stright thru to the air cleaner all the time. That's a major problem if you plan on driving the car much. I have to stuff towels in mine when I wash it and have been lucky and not hit a bad thunder storm in the year I've had it.

2004 GTO
Old 05-20-2010, 09:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks, I don't drive the car much. Maybe once a week in good weather to a cruise in. Stored in garage in winter.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The aftermarket systems seem decent although expensive if you go with the '69 setup with the flaps.

'69 GTO Ragtop, 455, RA, KRE SD Perf ported heads and "old Faithful" cam, Sean Murphy Q-Jet, Tremec 5spd, Moser Trutrac 3:73, Hotchkiss, Speedtech, Wilwood
'64 Lemans Convertible, Tremec TKO600
Old 05-21-2010, 09:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rememberfireball#22 View Post
I am going to start searching for correct intake on our forum and probaly ebay. Can someone give me some numbers to look for.
I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I do know that the factory switched from the standard 68 cast iron intake to the "69" iron intake near the end of 68 production for the Firebirds. The GTO's probably had the same thing happen. My 68 400 Bird received the "69" intake. It is a 05D car. I don't know when the switch ocurred, but probably around the first part of May is my guess. So if you find a good date code for either intake part number, you should be fine--if you are that picky about it.

Most charts just show the "68" intake part number is why I'm throwing this out.

I'm assuming that the HO used the standard intake--I believe it did.

Some people know all of their rights, but none of their obligations.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:42 AM

All of the GTO 400 engines including HO and Ram Air used the same standard iron intake, this also includes the rare round-exhaust port Ram Air II engines.

Old 05-22-2010, 12:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

What you are thinking about is that there were two casting / part numbers used in 1968 for intakes. The early cars received 9790140 intakes and later on they went to 9794234 intakes. The confusion comes in when people also see that the 9794234 number was used throughout 1969 as the standard intake. These are both correct and are determined by date code.

Land of Lakes Muscle Car Classic
Facebook Event
Facebook Wall (Kurt Smith,Minneapolis)
Old 05-22-2010, 08:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man View Post

...the only real advantage of the Performer is the ability to bolt on a square-bore Holley carb (Q-jets will fit as well).
Can you elaborate on that Bart? I have a squarebore Holley on a Performer intake on my '66. I was going to chunk it because I really am more comfortable with the spreadbore Rochester carbs... Is there an adapter or something available?

Old 05-22-2010, 02:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I found a correct intake on our "for sale" forum and have purchased it. Also found a Qjet for a 67 Ram Air 4-speed for 375.00. Card is rebuilt and bench flow tested and is supposed to be ready to bolt on. Number is 7027273WC. Can anyone tell me if this will work on my 68 4-speed?

Last edited by rememberfireball#22; 05-22-2010 at 02:42 PM. Reason: additional text
Old 05-23-2010, 06:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
Can you elaborate on that Bart? I have a squarebore Holley on a Performer intake on my '66. I was going to chunk it because I really am more comfortable with the spreadbore Rochester carbs... Is there an adapter or something available?

Ooops...My mistake. The one on my car is a Torker II.

Old 05-23-2010, 03:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rememberfireball#22 View Post
I found a correct intake on our "for sale" forum and have purchased it. Also found a Qjet for a 67 Ram Air 4-speed for 375.00. Card is rebuilt and bench flow tested and is supposed to be ready to bolt on. Number is 7027273WC. Can anyone tell me if this will work on my 68 4-speed?
It will work. I question if that's real though... 67 was a one year only carb main body with the round ID tag. A regular (non HO) 67 GTO carb will bring that as a core. If it's real, buy it to resell and find a correct carb for your car.

My site... needs updated-
www.fastrestorations.com

68 GTO's (RA II, RA I, HO, convert, Pro Street, Racecar, etc.), 2 69 GTO Judges, 70 GTO racecar -10.77 @ 124mph, 68 Tempest survivor, 3 03 Aztecs!
Old 05-23-2010, 05:13 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have purchased carb and paid my money and rolled the dice. I bought off of ebay. The seller has good feedback.The item # is 180510510396. You can see the number stamped in one of the pictures. Ya'll take a look and tell me what you think. Thanks

Last edited by rememberfireball#22; 05-23-2010 at 05:53 PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

He says right in the auction that it's a restamped or "reproduction" carb. Also says he can stamp the date of your choice.
At any rate, it sure looks nice and if it performs well, you got what you wanted.

Quote:
Part No. 7027273 WC - No Date code on throttle base but it can be stamped if you'd like.

Quote:
...it has been masterfully recolored. It's a perfect reproduction or restamped carburetor. Thank you....

Old 05-24-2010, 08:03 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

You are correct Greg, and you are also Paul,it would be great if it was the real thing. But all I was after was a good running and looking carb.From checking other sites, it appears that 375.00 to 400.00 is about average for a rebuilt carb.I love this forum, so many great people that know so much more than me about our great GTO's.I have recieved so much good help and advice.

Last edited by rememberfireball#22; 05-24-2010 at 08:17 AM.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's very odd they'd waste the time to stamp a 67 number into a carb! Not correct for anything at that point. For what it's worth we have been through two of those good-looking ebay carbs... neither was rebuilt correctly, but they sure were pretty! Our host sells VERY nice carbs for around 500.00, you get a warranty and customer service, my buddies with the ebay junk just got taken. I do hope your experience is better than thiers, based on the 67 stamp, I have to wonder....

My site... needs updated-
www.fastrestorations.com

68 GTO's (RA II, RA I, HO, convert, Pro Street, Racecar, etc.), 2 69 GTO Judges, 70 GTO racecar -10.77 @ 124mph, 68 Tempest survivor, 3 03 Aztecs!
Old 05-24-2010, 12:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Well, we'll just have to see. The guy had some very good feedback. Only one mad customer with complant out of 30 .I have bought two cars and a bunch of parts off of ebay and have been lucky so far.This may turn out bad, but I have already paid my money and have no choice but to continue on. One problem though, when the carb gets here,I won't know if it is any good or not as I probaly won't have all my parts together for awhile. I still have to send my dist to Sun Tuned for work. According to my PayPal receipt , the sellers last name is Monzon and his email is RamAir242@yahoo.com, does anybody on here know anything about seller or had any dealings? Wish me luck.

Last edited by rememberfireball#22; 05-24-2010 at 01:22 PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:11 PM

Paul it just goes to show how little the Erape seller knows.

I'll bet they're just slapping carbs together and painting them. May even be epoxying the old numbers.

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill