THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 11-17-2016, 12:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Doran View Post
Will, the 'new' 2016 with a manual are almost all snapped up; You can order a 2017 if desired. ( rumors of LSA motor are false ).

There are more used manuals coming on the market as folks who need to have the latest / greatest upgrade to 2017. Keep an eye out.

So far I luv the car. Other than the mylink info entertainment system, I have no real complaints. If not for my commute and kids going to school in NYC, I'd have gotten the manual also.
I would not have paid $52k for the car, but for $39k + TTL I'm happy. Just needs to last me well past 100k miles.

I know we share a like for the WRX cars. On the SS forums, amazing how many STi/WRX prior owners have moved over to the SS.
Well color me envious!

Yeah, I loved my WRX but even a used SS is beyond me currently. I'm in "financial regrouping" mode after knee surgery prevented me from working for four months at the beginning of the year AND I blew some dough on another truck. I'm driving a cheap Honda beater for my daily right now. At least it's a manual. ;-)

Old 11-17-2016, 08:04 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
I'm coming off a 2008 G35 with 237K miles ( passed down to wife ) so I know how much fun a good DD can be.
I struggle with DD choices and have never considered the SS. I've been through a number of G35's and G37's and loved them - but I never warmed to the Q50. My current DD is a 2016 Mazda 6 (manual touring) but I do a lot of miles and it is due for replacement as it's about to run out of warranty. I test drove a new WRX a couple of weeks back and while the idea appealed (manual, AWD) I was ultimately disappointed. Not sure if RWD is a smart choice given my location, but there sure isn't much to choose from out there in the new car marketplace if you're looking for a fun AWD/FWD DD.

1974 Trans Am, 400 4-speed, 3.42 rear.

Old 11-17-2016, 11:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiacstogo View Post
I struggle with DD choices and have never considered the SS. I've been through a number of G35's and G37's and loved them - but I never warmed to the Q50. My current DD is a 2016 Mazda 6 (manual touring) but I do a lot of miles and it is due for replacement as it's about to run out of warranty. I test drove a new WRX a couple of weeks back and while the idea appealed (manual, AWD) I was ultimately disappointed. Not sure if RWD is a smart choice given my location, but there sure isn't much to choose from out there in the new car marketplace if you're looking for a fun AWD/FWD DD.
What didn't you like about the WRX? Mine was an 06 and I haven't driven any of the new ones. They have quite a bit more power than the 06 so I naturally assumed they'd be even more fun...

Interesting that you don't like the Q50. One of my friends had a G35, then a G37, and now a Q50 and he says exactly the same thing.

Old 11-17-2016, 11:50 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will View Post
What didn't you like about the WRX? Mine was an 06 and I haven't driven any of the new ones. They have quite a bit more power than the 06 so I naturally assumed they'd be even more fun...

Interesting that you don't like the Q50. One of my friends had a G35, then a G37, and now a Q50 and he says exactly the same thing.
I liked the looks of the Q50 when they first came out but I got to drive quite a few when I would have my G37 serviced (loaners) and they just felt bigger and softer. I guess that's somewhat of a natural progression in all cars, but I could never get excited about buying one. It's a shame, because I was definitely a fan of the first generation G35's and enjoyed the G37's as well - 328HP and AWD made for a fun long distance DD (I do a lot of miles).

On paper I should have loved the WRX - once I convinced myself that an old fart like me could own one. However the two test drives left me cold. The refinement wasn't there and I expected a lot more go given the 268HP rating.

I was a big fan of the G8's when Pontiac first made them available in the US as I grew up around Holdens and Falcons in NZ. The SS should appeal too, though I don't think the styling is a nice as the G8. Just not sure if RWD is a smart move given my location - if it were then a new Charger RT may be an option as well (AWD Chargers are no longer available in a V8).

Short of the European offerings there just isn't much out there for someone looking for a comfortable, fast, AWD DD. I will probably take a look at a WRX again, and I probably owe it to myself to take a fresh look at a Q50.

Sorry for the hijack!

1974 Trans Am, 400 4-speed, 3.42 rear.

Old 11-17-2016, 02:15 PM
Senior Chief

I stole a '05 Caddy CTS-V with 13k and a Magnuson supercharger on it last summer. Paid $18,200 for it. Approximately 560 HP and Z06 running gear. 4 doors and gets 23 on the highway...needs a much better tune to take it to the next level but it's running well.

Examples with 100k on them are in the 10-12k range...LS6 or LS2 engine and a T56 on the first generation. Car is a blast to drive.

Old 11-20-2016, 09:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiacstogo View Post
I liked the looks of the Q50 when they first came out but I got to drive quite a few when I would have my G37 serviced (loaners) and they just felt bigger and softer. I guess that's somewhat of a natural progression in all cars, but I could never get excited about buying one. It's a shame, because I was definitely a fan of the first generation G35's and enjoyed the G37's as well - 328HP and AWD made for a fun long distance DD (I do a lot of miles).

On paper I should have loved the WRX - once I convinced myself that an old fart like me could own one. However the two test drives left me cold. The refinement wasn't there and I expected a lot more go given the 268HP rating.

I was a big fan of the G8's when Pontiac first made them available in the US as I grew up around Holdens and Falcons in NZ. The SS should appeal too, though I don't think the styling is a nice as the G8. Just not sure if RWD is a smart move given my location - if it were then a new Charger RT may be an option as well (AWD Chargers are no longer available in a V8).

Short of the European offerings there just isn't much out there for someone looking for a comfortable, fast, AWD DD. I will probably take a look at a WRX again, and I probably owe it to myself to take a fresh look at a Q50.
Your story sounds almost identical to mine. The WRX is now a bit outdated and frankly over priced. The Focus RS or Golf R are the AWD choices that have beaten Subaru at their own game. However they are pushing $40k. Your G35/G37/Q50 descriptions are identical to mine. My G35x has 238k and runs like the day I got it. If you able to work at home or dodge the occasional big snow storm, you'll be fine with RWD and good tires. I put winter tires on all my family cars.

Totally agree the G8 has a much nicer look. The SS does everything better, but agree on looks. As I tried to touch on in my initial post, it takes a bit of guts, balls, and risk to buy a sports car as a DD. There are certainly easier choices, but far less fun.

If you can find a SS at 20% off 2016 or wait to see if the deal is available for 2017, you will spend less than a WRX and WAY LESS than an STI. That is what closed the deal for me. Yes you can buy a WRX for $25k stripped, but if you drive a lot like us, a stripped car is not enjoyable. Loaded they are $34k WRX and $42k STI. The SS w/20% is right in the middle and literally is loaded with sunroof / spare / M6 as the only options. Crazy stuff like HUD, magnetic shock ride, launch control, cooled seats, etc are all included.

Will sorry to hear of your temporary knee problems, but fingers crossed.

2016 Chevy SS; Sold
2001 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
2008 Infiniti G35x
Old 11-22-2016, 03:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

Will sorry to hear of your temporary knee problems, but fingers crossed.
Thanks Jim but I'm all good now. Or at least as good as can be expected. The hardest thing is going to be taking it easy when skiing. I've never been one to hold back and that's why I've blown both knees in the last three years... Guess I'm not 25 any more, LOL!