THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-13-2014, 11:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Do you have an 'exit' strategy?

I received a call Sunday that an old family friend had passed away. His wife of over 50 years had passed away just a few years ago, I I knew he wasn't doing too well so the call didn't surprise me. But it, along with what has been going on in my life in the past couple of years, got me to thinking. He owned two or three really nice older cars. No children, only a niece and nephew that he thought a lot of to pass stuff on to. Cars are one thing, but he had a basement full of desirable Chevy parts. He had worked at a Chevy dealership owned by his cousin from the late 50's to the early 90's. He probably did every job in the 'back of the house', from sweeping the floor on up to service writer and then parts manager. How he obtained some of these parts is story for another thread.

I don't know he niece or nephew. They may be car nuts, but chances are they are not. In my case, my wife is disabled. Both of my children live away and have no interest in my car or what little parts or tools I have. To those of you who have children who help you with your cars and/or have interest in the hobby, then you have no problem. You simply will your stuff to them. But how many of you are in the same shape I'm in??

And for me it's getting closer and closer. I live out in a rural area, so there are only a few events I can drive to. My 'friend' that has been helping me has suddenly abandoned me. I haven't heard from him at all since early October, right after my accident. Without help I can't load a trailer or unload, etc. so attending an out of town event is out of the question. Also if I want to attend something like Norwalk, or a National Convention, I have to get someone to come in and stay with my wife. Not an easy task when we have no family in our area.

So, do you have an exit strategy?? I'm seriously considering putting my car up for sale and just giving up the hobby altogether. It would be hard because I've been fooling with cars for almost 50 years. But I guess there comes a time in your life you have to realize you just can't do it anymore.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 01-13-2014, 11:47 PM
formerly Steved400

Send a message via Yahoo to Steve Hoog

I have been clearing everything out for a couple of years now, down the bare essentials for a gear head and VERY happy to be shed of many things I didn't need.

Old 01-13-2014, 11:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

why give up?..fight til the end, enjoy your car while you can...

just get in it, drive the wheels off it til you or it expires..screw the shows if its work..just drive it and enjoy it.

you should talk to friend or pastor or your doctor..i can hear you..and you are depressed,,,talk to someone..it gets better..

its just a phase and t will pass..dont give up your hobby because someone abandond you or someone you cared for passed..enjoy the breath you breathe..and enjoy your toy

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to marxjunk For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2014, 12:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Jerry, It sounds like your old family friend wasn't overly concerned about what happens to his stuff and you shouldn't either. Enjoy what you have and can do today and tomorrow. I have two cars and 35 years of snap-on and mac tools I am not concerned about them after I go. My son is not into mechanic's or cars for that matter so what he does with this stuff ??? Jerry everybody has a different take on things so I guess there's no real answer. Tom

TOM
Old 01-14-2014, 12:37 AM
Senior Chief

I'm 56. Livin' the dream on 35 acres.

This year my older brother has been fighting a nasty cancer battle. It pushed me to do what I have been considering for a while. I started cleaning up.

I'm down to 2 hobby cars and have sold a lot of my excess car parts. For me, it's the right thing to do.

Steve summed it up well. I am actually happy to be doing it, especially knowing a lot of parts have gone to guys who need them for their projects.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carl S For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2014, 12:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I just worry about family members pitching everything in the trash and calling a salvage yard to haul away the car.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:51 AM

Your dead, what does it matter where your stuff goes? why not live now and enjoy what you built rather then worry about what happens to it down the road. As old as these cars are, it will eventually make its way into the hands of a car nut again.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I learned an important life lesson when I got divorced in 2001, had to sell the house and clear out a 1200 square foot pole building of things I'd been collecting for years, parts, tools, cars, because I had to move into a 1 bdrm apartment. Much of the stuff I gave away because of only having 2 weeks to clean everything out wasn't long enough to sell everything. I took 3 dump truck loads to a junkyard and got $0 for it. IT'S JUST STUFF!!!! there are other things more important than where your stuff ends up.

I was bitter for a long time about giving up some of my prized possessions it was making me depressed and the bitterness was eating me up. I finally let go of the resentment and I'm fine without my stuff. Life goes on without stuff.

I get to go to the races and enjoy them, knowing how much time racing dirt cars consumes. I just go home and go to bed and don't have to work all week to get a car ready for next weekend. I even stopped selling T Shirts at shows because I never got to see the race cars and show cars being tied to a T shirt booth. I have decided to build 2 project cars that if I had kept all my saved stuff I wouldn't be able to do. Funny how some events change your outlook and what you never thought you couldn't live without, you really can live without.

Just my reflections, each person is different and makes up their own mind.

I'm not suggesting anyone sell their parts or cars tools etc. Just step back and look and see what's important in your life at this time. Some things can be replaced later on, some things aren't as important as we'd like to believe. Everyone has different values and needs, so you have to decide what's right for you at this time in your life.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

The Following User Says Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2014, 02:02 AM
formerly Steved400

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxwolf321 View Post
Your dead, what does it matter where your stuff goes? why not live now and enjoy what you built rather then worry about what happens to it down the road. As old as these cars are, it will eventually make its way into the hands of a car nut again.
This is exactly why I am dividing all goodies up to my kids now; they all have open door to came ask and get anything they want right now, I prefer it this way. I get pleasure in seeing who wants what for the right reasons. On my young ones I am packing bags with my stuff and including letters of what they meant to me, why I am giving it to them, and any other important information. Books, redlines, WWII items, family treasures, guitars, and so forth. My brother is going to hold these bags for them until they are 18; a little money too for them

I am VERY happy to know it all goes where it is wanted and will be used. The only one I am struggling with at this point is Shay, he wants all my car stuff left but has nowhere to store it. As it can't be guaranteed safe keeping here in my house after my wife takes over; I am 99% sure my wife will do the right thing, but something out of her control might happen.

I would love to give many things to Gary; but he has like 10,000 X's the stuff I have every had combined in my life, so he doesn't need more. I can't have a good conscious in giving him more; when I'm trying to get him to shed the majority of his load for his peace of mind.

You don't realize what a burden it is on your heart to have all this excess; until you shed some. Then you find a happier place; at least some will.

My favorite verses of all times, KJV Matthew 6:

Quote:
19 Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:

20 But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:

21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hoog View Post
I have been clearing everything out for a couple of years now, down the bare essentials for a gear head and VERY happy to be shed of many things I didn't need.
This.

I'm in my early 50's and in perfect health but am cleaning up a bit.

I just don't need all that stuff that I will never use, nor do I want to stick my kids with the cleanup. I'm still dealing with all the stuff my dad had. I don't want that for my kids.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 01-14-2014, 09:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I just worry my wife will sell everything for what I told her I paid for it.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ho428 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2014, 09:18 AM

Just turned 50. Beautiful understanding wife of 5 years. No kids. All my sibs are POS idiots. I plan on continuing as if I'm still 20 until my body gives out. If I go suddenly, my wife can do whatever she wants with what is left - she is very smart and will get top dollar. If she goes before me, I'll probably sell most everything so it goes to a good home. I don't want it going in an estate sale to vultures.
I do need to find some local contacts in which to share this hobby with, but haven't gotten there yet. I plan on attending some local cruise ins as well as Norwalk once I get one of the projects road worthy. Maybe I'll make some local connections there.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I was worried about my parts as well. Somewhat worried about the cars to. So I told the wife that Lord forbid that I die before you. I want you to call X a forum member here and let him come and get the parts and any car he wants first and let him sell it off and then come and get another until everything is gone. Now I do have 9 grandkids 6 of which are boys and most have expressed interest in the cars. I told them they would be allowed to buy a car at a discount not a freebie. That money is designated for the wife. When she dies they can all split it up. I would be so afraid to let the wife sell anything. She would probably let them set for a few months then if they wouldnt start I would hate to see what she asked for them. A dead battery could get someone a 75% discount.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:29 AM
formerly Steved400

Quote:
Originally Posted by ho428 View Post
I just worry my wife will sell everything for what I told her I paid for it.
HAHA.... Ace post!!!

Old 01-14-2014, 09:38 AM

I've found that all the extra 'stuff' becomes a burden to how you want to live your life. I have been giving the kids stuff I haven't used for decades... in the hopes that they can use it.

Example: Being 58, I've decided that I no longer need a 32' extension ladder. Not only is it taking up space in my garage, I don't feel like climbing a ladder that high ever again. Why should I? I have sons and son-in-laws for that! LOL The kid who got the ladder is happy to do my climbing for me. Same thing with chain saws, heavy sledge hammers, etc.

I keep the stuff I really want and give the rest away.

Kurt

The Following User Says Thank You to Kurt Zimmerman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2014, 10:48 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Exit Strategy :
Lord Forgive me for any wrong I've done and accept this one time offer coupon into heaven , And please watch over my friends and family until we meet again.
Because thats all that really matters.

The only thing I think of is some money scavenger coming in and taking advantage of a bad time. But I don't think that can happen as long as my wife has any say.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiedlerh View Post
I just worry about family members pitching everything in the trash and calling a salvage yard to haul away the car.
I write Do Not Throw Away" on the boxes I have in the attic! lol. The only way that I have been able to get the wife to pay attention is when we are moving thing around (ie Christmas) I point thing out and tell her that they are hard to replace and very expensive.

I have health problems with no children or a will.

69 OHC ZH Sprint Hurst 3 Speed 3:55 (1 of 213)
99 Valkyrie 1520cc Flat 6 108hp/110tq - For Sale
http://sohcsix.yuku.com/forums/1/OHC-lounge
Wanted: 1969 OHC "H" Camshaft
Old 01-14-2014, 01:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think some of you may be missing the larger point...It's not so much about how much the stuff is worth and who will get it. The larger issue, and the one I worry about sometimes, is the fact that if something happens to you, it can be a MAJOR pain to the survivors to have to do something with all your STUFF. Especially, when they may have no idea what it is, much less what it's worth.
Believe me, it's a lot of work for your survivors to clean out a garage full of old car parts, tools, etc.....Especially one that has been gathered over a period of 30 or 40 YEARS.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Greg Reid For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2014, 01:37 PM

I always try and keep in mind the things I need and things I want. If I have some extra cash I will buy things I want but things I need will always come first. Also when things stop being fun and become work in regards to my car then it is time to sell. I get to a point where I am tripping over stuff then it is time to sell I tend to hold onto things right now. The wife and I have 4 cars for just the 2 of us and my dad is talking about giving me his truck. I dont know where I would put it but I cant say no.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Zimmerman View Post
I no longer need a 32' extension ladder. I don't feel like climbing a ladder that high ever again.
Kurt
that struck me funny, so true