THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-05-2015, 01:22 PM

Just found this on the net. Its Rome, but you get the idea:

"More than 230 people died in accidents in 2006 in the Italian capital, where motorists thunder down narrow cobbled alleyways, swerve around pedestrians on zebra crossings and disregard road signs. There were 21,000 collisions in which 28,000 people were injured, according to the Road Safety Insurance Foundation.

Kamikaze driving and traffic congestion are among the drawbacks of living in a city whose motorists, according to Bill Bryson, "park their cars the way I would park if I had just spilled a beaker of hydrochloric acid in my lap." "

Ha, ha, hydrochloric acid!

Old 01-05-2015, 01:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry I couldn't resist;http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/4831041312.html
Car is begging to go back home.

TOM
Old 01-08-2015, 08:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis73 View Post
What does a DeTomaso Pantera go for over there these days?

I always liked the Fiat Spiders (pre Pininfarina), like the early 70s 124s. Carb and ignition issues are fixed easily and then you have a great little Italian roadster.

Panteras are out of my price range, but would love to have one. Maybe I'll end up finding a project car. Kind of like the Jensen Interceptors -- neat cars with large American V-8's. Jensens can be found in my price range, but many are rhd and most (all?) are automatics.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf ista View Post
The Lancia Delta Integrale is a cool car no doubt. A road going version of a very successful rally car with plenty of power. I seen a few about these parts years ago but they were as rare as hens teeth. The basic Delta was sold here too and there used to be plenty of them. None left now though. All rotted away and scrapped. They were sold as a small family hatchback but aside from the usual rust problems of the time they were known for being unreliable with very dodgy electrics. Honestly, I would be wary of eighties Fiat based cars.
There are still a fair number of the Integrales in Europe. I can afford a very clean one.

Rust issues are no fun and electric issues aren't much better so anything I buy will get a full inspection.

Thanks

Old 01-08-2015, 08:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69goatboy View Post
Whatever you get, buy some extra side view mirrors.......by the case.
Streets are narrow, and no one cares.
Plus the swarms of scooters are thicker than the mosquitoes (which are bad as well).
Traffic is pretty crazy in Seoul, and I do fine. I'm sure Naples will be worse, but hope to have a short commute.

Scott

Old 01-08-2015, 08:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf ista View Post
Just found this on the net. Its Rome, but you get the idea:

"More than 230 people died in accidents in 2006 in the Italian capital, where motorists thunder down narrow cobbled alleyways, swerve around pedestrians on zebra crossings and disregard road signs. There were 21,000 collisions in which 28,000 people were injured, according to the Road Safety Insurance Foundation.

Kamikaze driving and traffic congestion are among the drawbacks of living in a city whose motorists, according to Bill Bryson, "park their cars the way I would park if I had just spilled a beaker of hydrochloric acid in my lap." "

Ha, ha, hydrochloric acid!
Yep. Complete anarchy. Should be fun.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by salem1912 View Post
Sorry I couldn't resist;http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/4831041312.html
Car is begging to go back home.
Listing deleted. What was it?

Scott

Old 03-10-2015, 09:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Have been doing more research.

BMW E30 M3's are about out of the question - too damn expensive!

Still like the Fiat Dino, esp. with the 2.4 V6. However, I don't think I will be able to find parts for these very easily. Don't want a car to be sidelined for a week or two because I can't find a brake rotor, water pump, wheel bearing, etc.

Alfa Romeo GTV 1750s are looking better and better -- right size for driving around Naples, extensive aftermarket support, easy to hot rod, make great little track day cars, etc. Still fairly affordable, too. $20k will get you a nice one.

Alfa Romeo Montreal is another intriguing car - small V8 (2.6L, I think), exotic look, but just really jumped in price. Projects are going for $25k; probably couldn't find a driver for less than $40k. Probably difficult to find parts for these, too.

Scott

Old 06-08-2015, 07:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Getting closer -- headed to Italy in about 3 weeks. Should find out soon after we arrive whether we'll be on base (no garage, but there's a auto hobby center where I can use bays, tools, lifts, etc) or off base (was looking at a place recently that had room for 6 cars in the garage!!!).

Anyway, my smartest bet is probably the 105 series Alfa Romeo - plentiful, relatively inexpensive, readily available parts, great aftermarket support, and they make nice looking little rally cars, too.

Slightly less practical is the late 60's early 70's Fiat Dino. The 2.4 Coupes were produced on the Ferrari assembly line alongside the 246's, used the same drivetrain, and much of the same suspension components. These can be found for less than $30k, but the nicer ones are starting to bring significantly more.

The Jensen Interceptors are another possibility, with big block Mopar power (383 or 440).

And yet another possibility is a Sunbeam Alpine -- you can find a nice one for $10k -- and with a bit of work (including changing steering and "massaging" the firewall) you can stuff it with a SBF and toploader 4 sp and have a Tiger clone.

A few remote possibilities - Lamborghini Urraco, Maserati Merak, and Ferrari 308GT4. All can be had for $30k or less, but the Lambo's and Masser's are getting pretty rare and $30k won't get you a very nice one.

Scott

Old 06-08-2015, 07:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This link has super deals on hot european cars, owners motivated to sell

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=554591681343697

Old 07-19-2015, 01:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ok, so we've been here a few weeks, and absolutely love it!

Picked up a super clean low mile 99 BMW 318i. Has a slushbox because the wife doesn't drive a stick. It's just something to get around in until the wife's SUV (Infiniti FX-37) arrives and I pick something up. If I play my cards, right, we'll keep the Bimmer so I don't need to drive the classic car if the weather is sh*tty.

Found a very nice house to rent a mile from work -- in a safe gated parco (subdivision). Oh, yeah, it has an ENORMOUS garage!

Driving here is pretty interesting. On the autostrade (highway/interstate), if the speed limit is 80 km/h, folks are either doing 60 km/h or 160 km/h. Not much in between. Have to watch it if you're in the left lane -- I usually keep it around 100 km/h and the folks coming up behind me are hauling a$$, blinking lights, etc.

I have driven a bit in Naples - sheer madness - but doable. No reason to go there except for shopping or sightseeing, neither of which appeal to me.

Starting to focus on car search -- looking like Alfa Romeo GT Junior, preferably 1968-1970 or so. The GT Junior's are just like the GTV's, but smaller engine, and much less expensive. Kind of like a GTO with 400/2bbl vs. a Ram Air III car.

Scott

Old 07-19-2015, 07:58 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

What town do you live in?

Old 07-19-2015, 08:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Twister View Post
What town do you live in?
Lago Patria, about 35 km north of Naples.

Scott

Old 07-19-2015, 10:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up Well...

knowing how you love challenge...find that Gullwing with your name on it! Seriously...I'm for the "barn find" scenario. Also...my cousin was head of the Opel plants in Bochum, Germany and he drove an Opel like I have NEVER seen...think it was called Diplomat or something...so always be mindful that there are exotic cars that few have knowledge of. Good luck on your endeavor and cruise those back roads! Find something special!!!

"Gas is STILL your cheapest thrill!"

Your opinion of me is none of my business.
Old 07-19-2015, 01:23 PM
Senior Chief

Lancia Stratos would be pretty cool !

Old 07-20-2015, 02:52 AM
Senior Chief

These little Alfas can look pretty good when done up. A sister had one as her first car and my brother in law took me out for a spin one afternoon...90+ mph through a long sweeper and a bit of a drift sure got my attention. This isn't a shot of her car, just an example of one.

Another sister had a 1969 Fiat 124ac coupe as her first car and they're not a bad looking little car either.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	403290  

Old 07-20-2015, 02:58 AM
Senior Chief

Don't know why this didn't load in last post.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	49
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	403291  

Old 07-20-2015, 03:00 AM
Senior Chief

Weird, only one at a time it seems.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	48
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	403292  

Old 07-20-2015, 11:34 AM

If it was me I would get a European m3 I think a 95 has the independent throttle bodies. Don't know what else it has that the US cars don't. Sweet little cars and a lot easier and cheaper to maintain. Parts would be plentiful. Probably all RHD though over there.

Old 07-20-2015, 03:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRNMTGOAT View Post
Lancia Stratos would be pretty cool !
Yes, and they're all over Italy in my price range, too! I'll post some pics right after I feed my unicorn!