Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2021, 02:43 PM
Suspended

Default People with Tri-Power This is your Rebuild Information

http://oldcarmanualproject.com/ Go to Site Index first, Carburetor Manuals in e-book (pdf) format, Rochester 2-Jet Carburetor Manual.

People with Tri-Power This is your Rebuild Information

updated February 22, 2003, Warning Note: This date on the page, if you don't see this date beware of a copy page made to divert you to another site. In the past I got caught up with Ransom- ware, same page different date. What they did was to make an exact copy of this page but the date was off. I only realized it when it was too late. They tried to extort money from me to release my own photos on my computer. Also, it is a good idea to run the site through your anti-virus to scan it. Good luck, I have more on my computer if you want. I found that going through the Forums helped me. As I said I can save you time if you ask, I will post what I think you need. Mike out. P.S. This is not a job to be afraid of, if I can do it so can you. Also, I just tried the site I am sending you to and it works well, just follow my instructions to the letter. Keep in mind even if you elect to send them out, you should learn about the system, so you can maintain them.

Old 11-01-2021, 03:52 PM
Suspended

[QUOTE=tekuhn;6291761]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRADERMIKE 2012 View Post

I have the Thomas Bonsall "The Source Book" and there is no option for the 8-lug wheels. That's why I was surprised to see them on the GTO in the video. As Keith said, must have been a prototype that never happened.
Mike thinks: "Is it one of those Canadian Pontiacs"? Were they mixed Chevy parts in?

Can't discount that someone is using the Aluminum Rims if they fit off another Pontiac as an upgrade for better Braking system on their Vehicle.

By the way who is Thomas Bonsall "The Source Book".

Old 11-01-2021, 04:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

8 lug wheels are 5 on 5 pattern.GTOs and Chevys are 5 on 4.75.Cant get mixed up on the line only be done in Engineering.Tom

Old 11-01-2021, 06:27 PM
Suspended

http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/m...ch1973__2G.htm
"MIKE SAID VISIT THIS SITE" copy and Paiste all of the link or press on it!
NOTE: THIS IS THE REVISED LINK TO THE OLD CAR MANUAL PROJECT, WITH THE CORRECT SAFE DATE.THERE IS A TON OF INFORMATION HERE. This one is Rochester Carbs.

Last edited by TRADERMIKE 2012; 11-01-2021 at 06:35 PM.
Old 11-01-2021, 06:55 PM
Suspended

Quote:
http://oldcarmanualproject.com/ Go to Site Index first, Carburetor Manuals in e-book (pdf) format, Rochester 2-Jet Carburetor Manual.

People with Tri-Power This is your Rebuild Information.

updated February 22, 2003, Warning Note: This date on the page, if you don't see this date beware of a copy page made to divert you to another site. In the past I got caught up with Ransom- ware, same page different date. What they did was to make an exact copy of this page but the date was off. I only realized it when it was too late. They tried to extort money from me to release my own photos on my computer. Also, it is a good idea to run the site through your anti-virus to scan it. Good luck, I have more on my computer if you want. I found that going through the Forums helped me. As I said I can save you time if you ask, I will post what I think you need. Mike out. P.S. This is not a job to be afraid of, if I can do it so can you. Also, I just tried the site I am sending you to and it works well, just follow my instructions to the letter. Keep in mind even if you elect to send them out, you should learn about the system, so you can maintain them.

Mike Said:
See post # 144 above please, for a direct safe way to access "OLD CAR MANUAL PROJECT" This is the one about Rochester 2GV Tri- Power Carbs. OR USE:
Web site:
http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/
Link:

Old 11-04-2021, 07:17 AM
Suspended

https://www.mecum.com/lots/LN1021-46...o-convertible/
Mike said:
Keith this is a Royal Bobcat recently sold at Auction.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/detroitspeedinc/albums

Detroit Speed has some good builds, I watched Race car driver Kile Bush Camaro being Turned into a Retro-mod and learned many secrets about Body tricks.

Old 11-04-2021, 07:28 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
Filmed at the GM Milford Proving Ground. You can see the 16% Grade, Oval Track, Seven Sisters Ride & Handling Loop, Belgian Block rough road, etc.

I worked there for four years, before moving to Mesa Arizona to work at the Desert Proving Ground for four years.

K
Mike wants to know: "If Keith ever took a Vehicle over the Test Track?"

Old 11-04-2021, 07:35 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
8 lug wheels are 5 on 5 pattern. GTOs and Chevys are 5 on 4.75. Can't get mixed up on the line only be done in Engineering. Tom
Are the 8 lug Outer Wheel a "Hub Cap" over the 5x5 Bolt Circle Pattern Rim? From what I read Hub Is Aluminum for heat dissipation and somewhat larger.

Old 11-04-2021, 10:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The wheel is the wheel that bolts to the 8 lug drum,there is a trim ring that snaps onto the wheel.The early drums were call short rib and the later were the long fin drums.There is a small hub cap that snaps into the drum.The "hub cap" changed over the years.Tom

Old 11-04-2021, 11:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Front and rear wheel centers are different.

Rear 'wheel center/brake drum' goes on the axle flange with five lugs.

Front 'wheel center/brake drum' has a wheel bearing hub that mounts on the front spindle. No five lugs on front.

Front and rear used a small center hub cap. Rear covered the five lugs and front covered the wheel bearing dust cap.

Front and rear outer rims bolted to the wheel centers with eight lugs.

Front center

Rear center

Full set

Clay

Old 11-05-2021, 12:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
All day, every day.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 11-05-2021, 12:41 AM
Suspended

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/202...ormance-camaro

Once Owned By Smokey Yunick, This Chevrolet Small-Block Intake Manifold May Be The Last Remnant Of A Canceled High-Performance Camaro
By Daniel Strohl on Nov 4th, 2021 at 2:23 pm LINK above.

The 1966 GM ban on Tri-Powered Vehicles other than Covette did Ruin a good thing! Read this Article and see if you agree.

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/202...ne-of-them-all

Above is the second part of this Article.

Last edited by TRADERMIKE 2012; 11-05-2021 at 01:09 AM.
Old 11-05-2021, 12:46 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by "QUICK-SILVER" View Post

Front 'wheel center/brake drum' has a wheel bearing hub that mounts on the front spindle. No five lugs on front.

Front and rear used a small center hub cap. Rear covered the five lugs and front covered the wheel bearing dust cap.

Front center

Rear center

Full set

Clay
What is the size diameter of the Studs and are they larger than my 7/16" lugs on my 1979 Pontiac TA?

Old 11-05-2021, 01:17 AM
Suspended

Quote:

Front center

Rear center

Full set

Clay
Mike wants to know: "On the Rear Do the Lug nuts "EGG" out the Aluminum Part"?

On the Front, "Do they cast the center Bearing into the Aluminum Center and how does that hold up, can they slip apart"? Actually, now that I look at the front again as long as the Bearing "does not" freeze up it should hold out as the wheels are always rolling and greased.

Last edited by TRADERMIKE 2012; 11-05-2021 at 01:48 AM.
Old 11-05-2021, 01:34 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Mike said: I was almost sure you had mentioned your driving of the GM Proving Grounds in the Articles you had me read, just wanted to make sure, because I read a lot of Articles lately. That must have been the fun part of the day! Did you see the Mecum Auction about a car like yours that I posted? Given the record and Provenance about your car being Royal Bobcat vs his and yours being older and un- molested vs his Convertible you see where I am going ...?

Mike Thanks: "Every one for their posts on everything!

Last edited by TRADERMIKE 2012; 11-05-2021 at 01:40 AM.
Old 11-05-2021, 09:06 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:

Full set

Clay
I bet those rims give the tire shop fits. How do you attach those to the spin balancer for example?

1963 Tempest Convertible (195-1bbl, 3-speed transaxle. 428 RAIV, 5-speed, IRS planned) Pictures
Old 11-05-2021, 11:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekuhn View Post
I bet those rims give the tire shop fits. How do you attach those to the spin balancer for example?
Back in the day, you would have used an 'On The Car' spin balancer.

I think I've seen flat adapters so you could use a bubble balancer.

Clay

Old 11-05-2021, 11:36 AM
Senior Chief

Yeah. I think if I owned a car with them today, I'd have to make an adapter so they could be properly dynamically balanced.

1963 Tempest Convertible (195-1bbl, 3-speed transaxle. 428 RAIV, 5-speed, IRS planned) Pictures
Old 11-05-2021, 01:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A plate is made to be able to balance 8 lugs.Have seen the on ebay.I have one on the spare in my trunk.Tom

Old 11-05-2021, 05:34 PM
Senior Chief

While driving on the proving grounds can be fun, if your job is a durability test driver, it can be boring. You have a schedule to follow and keep, as to stops, braking and accelerations. I have driven thousands of miles at the GM Milford Proving Grounds in all kinds of cars, GM and many competitors. There are over 130 miles of roads on the 4,000+ acre site. There are reproductions of any kind of road you can think of. Lots of the old commercials and promotions we all love to watch were shot at the proving grounds.

Closed Thread