THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 02-20-2022, 12:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Have you ever..

..wanted a method for holding an assembled engine in place so that you can bolt up a transmission, align a clutch, etc?

Pictured is something I made up a few years ago that lets me do all of that on Pontiac engines. Plus it provides assembled storage and can be moved around the shop easily with a pallet jack, and you can load into a pick-up or trailer for transporting. I call it my engine sled.

Materials used were heavy wall 2" square tubing, 2" angle iron and 2 1/2" x 3/8" flat bar.

This is Racerboy's 400 H.O. engine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2549.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	584569   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2556.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	584570   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4701.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	584571   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4703.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	584572  

The Following User Says Thank You to 400 4spd. For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2022, 12:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dataway was looking for something like your description a couple years ago. I saw this fabbed setup, and posted it to give him an idea of what someone else had done for an LS engine.

I don't know if he ever made one up for a Pontiac, or not, but I really like the idea of the one pictured.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 02-20-2022, 01:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
Dataway was looking for something like your description a couple years ago. I saw this fabbed setup, and posted it to give him an idea of what someone else had done for an LS engine.

I don't know if he ever made one up for a Pontiac, or not, but I really like the idea of the one pictured.

That looks like a lot of stress on that motor mount area, lots of Trans overhang!

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.
Bill Nye.
Old 02-20-2022, 02:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedRamAirII View Post
That looks like a lot of stress on that motor mount area, lots of Trans overhang!
Wouldn't be any difference of R&R ing a transmission and letting the assembly hang by the mounts. The mounting points aren't that weak that I'd be concerned, The LS block is aluminum so if anything the cast iron is probably stronger. Consider also the torque of any engine is completely concentrated on the left mount area of the block, so it's pretty robust in that area.

LS engines do have a lot of ribs cast in the mount area, but Pontiacs also have ribs running top to bottom in the block castings. The re-design of the late model 3 point mounts was to spread the load over 2 main bulkheads in the block, rather than the older 2 bolt mount that only tied into one bulkhead.

I'm certainly not an engineer, but would consider a Pontiac block sturdy enough to withstand that weight, even a 4L80E hanging on it. In my search for 4l80e's, I've seen a lot more with cracked bell housing areas than I ever imagined. The local Marketplace currently has 3 with damaged bellhousings available. Maybe the reason that GM added a 7th bolt to the later engines/transmissions at 12 o clock.

If Dataway made his rig maybe he'll weigh in, just not sure if he ever made it.

FWIW, I sent Dataway a PM to see if he ever made the one he was talking about.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Last edited by Sirrotica; 02-20-2022 at 02:30 PM.
Old 02-20-2022, 02:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There is definitely a torque reaction force on the transmission interface. Can't remember the last time I saw a Muncie transmission with all 4 original mounting ears still intact. If the holding rig was a concern in the pics, another smaller strut could be added at an angle to the trans mount. Don't know if it would be needed.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2022, 03:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

One time I built something similar, except with wood 2x4s. I included a support for the trans mount. It wasn't as durable but worked well enough for a one time deal.

Old 02-20-2022, 06:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here is the stand I made with inspiration from members.

Basically a modified three wheel stand. Use additional supports on the rear that connect to the cylinder head to offset the tranny weight. Has radiator support up front control panel support. The uprights to the motor mounts, heads, radiator support and control panel are all slip fit into sockets in the wheeled base. Makes it much easier to store away if you can pull all that stuff off.

Was able to test run the engine and run the transmission through the gears.

Seems to be a decent solution. You can also pull all the extra stuff off, stick the rotating bellhousing mount back in and use it as a conventional engine stand.

If it only had the struts to the motor mounts area ... and they were securely bolted to the block .... I don't think it would break anything ... but I wouldn't want to lean very hard on the tail shaft. Struts would have to be pretty freakin strong though.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Motor-Trans-Mate-2.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	584576  

Old 02-20-2022, 09:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

4004spd...all you need to do is add wheels.