THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 12-24-2021, 03:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Welcome to the forum Bill.

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 12-24-2021, 04:30 PM
Boost Engineer

My suggestion would be to talk to Luhn Performance and install a Hydra-boost system like Ford has had on their
Mustangs since 1996. A very light touch on the brake pedal is all that is required. The Power Steering Pump does
all of the work along with the Hydra-boost Master Cylinder. That system is used also on a lot of boosted vehicles.

Caution, Seat belt and Shoulder belt fastened and tight. If you do a gorilla stomp you will smash your chest on the steering wheel and your face with whatever is in front of it.

A VERY VERY light touch is required. KNOWN TECHNOLOGY.

Luhn might be able to design a HYDRAULIC CLUTCH SYSTEM like the Hydro-boost brake system normally installed.
It would take some engineering though.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 12-25-2021, 01:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've used the Speed Direct clutch rods on a couple of my second gen birds and they work great. Very smooth, and easy to push the clutch in with these rods.

https://www.speeddirect.com/clutch-linkage

Old 12-29-2021, 06:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Shift Too Far View Post
A good friend of mine brought this thread to my attention.
First I want to compliment the guys posting on this thread for the creative ideas they have provided. In one form or another I have explored most of them.

We are currently working on a fourth generation of a hand operated clutch to operate a clutch as normal. In other words smooth operation with easy lift off or to power shift. I achieved this in a 1990 ZR-1 using a modified hydra boost unit backed up to the factory master cylinder with some fabricated additional leverage. That unit sat in place of the battery which was moved onboard into a storage compartment behind the seat similar to the older Vettes. This system worked well and the car was driven 17,000 miles.
Next was a 2006 Z06. The power assist used was a vacuum booster (modified) backed up to the OE master cylinder. I removed the windshield washer jar which is located inside the fender liner behind the front left tire. This system was a much easier and cleaner install and took advantage of the extra space. 27,000 miles driven. It worked so nice that I repeated it in a 2013 427 with another 4,000 miles driven.
Some general information. On the ZR-1 it uses a slave cylinder. Pressure on the clutch pedal is 35 to 38 pounds. The Z06 uses a hydraulic release bearing and the pedal effort is 22 to 24 pounds at the pedal. Ultimately using a hand clutch you need to bring this down to just a few pounds of squeezing your fingers just a couple of inches or less. Remember that even at 22-24 at the pedal there is another eleven inches or so of leverage with that pedal going to the master cylinder.
My goals of installation have always been minimally or non invasive to the cars using existing bolt holes and cavities under the hood/ body and the same for inside the car. I wanted as little seen as possible no matter where it was. Keeping the cars with a normal clean look.
Recently I picked up a 1969 427 roadster and there is a new set of space constraints. I have been very fortunate as another good friend of mine an accomplished engineer is helping with a new design set up. Being a finance guy myself he has gone way over my head with whiz bang technology. Our project is currently held up like everything else waiting on shipments. Once perfected in the next couple of months we are hoping to be able to provide a kit for installation. This unit will be electro hydraulic and take up minimal space.
Lastly these are not cheap installations to achieve. The materials cost alone in each of these cases approaches $2k depending on needs, this does not include labor. Each of the units I have built allowed the option of driving the car normally or driving the car with the hand clutch, requiring two onboard OE master cylinders.
So far I have only built these for myself. If we are successful in putting a kit together in this latest gen build then we would have them for outside interest.
Please feel free to private message if I can help further.
Bill

Bill, thank you for joining on and posting. I haven't been on here in a few days or I would have responded sooner. I am going to make my customer aware of this conversation and see if he wants to pursue some of these ideas. Also I will be sending you a private message for your contact information.
Steve

Old 12-29-2021, 06:58 PM

Vertigto thank you for the welcome.

Steve no problem I’ll watch for it.

Have been out of town or these would have been posted sooner. Just a few pics to help visualize what was described above.
First pics are from the passenger compartment. In my case there is a hand control lever for throttle and braking that the clutch lever is connected too. In the case of the OP the clutch lever would likely best fit to the shifter for convenience. Two fingers operate the clutch.
The last pic is the bulk of what is hidden inside the fender. What’s not shown but still hidden is the additional master cylinder and hydraulic lines that connect to the forward side of pictured assembly.
The only visible piece under the hood is a small remote clutch reservoir that’s sits next to the OE reservoir.
Just want to say again that the ideas posted here from members are impressive. Only wish there were forums like these when starting this project years ago.
To the OP, don’t let your client talk himself out of the effort. For someone who enjoys shifting it is a true pleasure in life and worth the trouble. And thanks to you for trying to accommodate him.
Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FD115B20-8E2B-4D1D-89CB-A655B4F70DA9.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	580910   Click image for larger version

Name:	F6605740-DE68-4520-9E78-51D8E9366C25.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	580911   Click image for larger version

Name:	84904418-B7FA-4005-B3E8-271353012951.jpg