Ames Customer Satisfaction Forum Post a 'current' compliment, suggestion or issue with regard to an Ames service or product.

Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 08:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgto69 View Post
To Zombiepopper: The reason why ACC does not cut the hole in the carpet for the hi bean switch is because this allows you to get the carpeting in the proper position. Cutting the hole is not a big deal.
To rohrt: when placing an order just request to the sales associate that you do not want ACC to cut the extra carpet. It's not a problem.
Thanks for the confirmation on that.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

that's all great info......except most of us don't order direct from ACC, we buy from the catalog from PY,AMES etc.
So it's what ever they have on the shelf to be sent out.
They have no clue if the carpet is cut to short or what ever problems there may be,it's a trust thing...carpet made right the first time.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:44 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969GTO View Post
that's all great info......except most of us don't order direct from ACC, we buy from the catalog from PY,AMES etc.
So it's what ever they have on the shelf to be sent out.
They have no clue if the carpet is cut to short or what ever problems there may be,it's a trust thing...carpet made right the first time.
When you make a special request, PY drop ships the carpet with the special instructions as apposed to shipping it from stock. That being said, I see enough complaints here to investigate further this 'short' situation but keep in mind that this is a couple of problems and ACC sends out thousands of carpets a month. It could have been a particular run where the guy that laid the carpet in the cutting mold just screwed up. Could be that some people aren't installing it correctly. etc. Either way, ACC stands behind their product. If they cut it wrong, they will replace it.....and PY will help you.

Someone will post here when we have some additional information.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:51 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombiePopper View Post
I'll be avoiding acc carpet sets from now on.
There's only 2 suppliers of classic carpet. They are both high volume operations. Material cost is critical for them. They both try and make the carpet the exact size as original. We've distributed both and have had occasional complaints with both. Not saying you just accept a mistake. I'm just saying that making an assumption that ACC makes a practice of producing incorrectly sized carpets is a little bit over the top.

In this case, we'd like to make arrangements for ACC to pickup the front piece that you say doesn't fit and have them look at it. If they cut it wrong, they'll replace it for free.

Old 08-25-2014, 11:54 AM

Default Performance years carpets, bad news???

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgto69 View Post
To Zombiepopper: The reason why ACC does not cut the hole in the carpet for the hi beam switch is because this allows you to get the carpeting in the proper position. Cutting the hole is not a big deal.

To rohrt: when placing an order just request to the sales associate that you do not want ACC to cut the extra carpet. It's not a problem.
I re-read my post and it comes-off really snarky and I didnt intend for it to sound that way, so I hope you don't take it that way.

Really?????
Sooooo,
Is that why the catalog description says dimmer switch grommet is included (and the hole already cut)????
Sorry, don't buy it.
Either PY catalog is wrong in several ways (which is what you're saying)
Orrrr, acc screwed up,
I'll accept the 2nd since the carpet is cut short also.

Esp considering the fact that several guys have commented in this very thread, that the dimmer switch hole/grommet were pre-installed.

Old 08-25-2014, 11:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default ACC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccass View Post
When you make a special request, PY drop ships the carpet with the special instructions as apposed to shipping it from stock. That being said, I see enough complaints here to investigate further this 'short' situation but keep in mind that this is a couple of problems and ACC sends out thousands of carpets a month. It could have been a particular run where the guy that laid the carpet in the cutting mold just screwed up. Could be that some people aren't installing it correctly. etc. Either way, ACC stands behind their product. If they cut it wrong, they will replace it.....and PY will help you.

Someone will post here when we have some additional information.
A special request for a Stock fitting carpet should not be needed,it's a stock factory fit.
A carpet orderd from the book is expected to fit.
As for as installing correctly,I laid my carpet in according to the vinal pad on the drivers side foot area flat, made the holes for the belts and consol and shifter a lot of work to find the carpet was cut short.
Now what? go to all that trouble again? have the car sit for how long battling the vender with no carpet in it?
Just warning others.
A couple of problems compaired to thousands made? I bet that there are more but don't know about this tread or are just living with it as I have.

Old 08-25-2014, 12:10 PM

Quote:
A special request for a Stock fitting carpet should not be needed,it's a stock factory fit.

As for as installing correctly,I laid my carpet in according to the vinal pad on the drivers side foot area flat, made the holes for the belts and consol and shifter a lot of work to find the carpet was cut short.

Now what? go to all that trouble again? have the car sit for how long battling the vender with no carpet in it?

Just warning others.

A couple of problems compaired to thousands made? I bet that there are more but don't know about this tread or are just living with it as I have.

Agree 100%
When I laid mine in the car, I made sure everything lined up and fit,
The down side was, (because it was short) that I either had to expose the front floor pan,
Or
Expose the backseat pan below the backseat cushion. There wasn't any other option.
I attempted to split the difference but the result would've been the carpet fitting even worse,
And it would've exposed both the front and rear floorpans (a smaller amount than either but still exposed and the carpet would've sagged down at the rear seat).

As far as having acc look at the carpet, the carpet was a 1pc set so there isn't a front and a back section like a 2pc.

Old 08-25-2014, 01:18 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I re-read my post and it comes-off really snarky and I didnt intend for it to sound that way, so I hope you don't take it that way.

Really?????
Sooooo,
Is that why the catalog description says dimmer switch grommet is included (and the hole already cut)????
Sorry, don't buy it.
Either PY catalog is wrong in several ways (which is what you're saying)
Orrrr, acc screwed up,
I'll accept the 2nd since the carpet is cut short also.

Esp considering the fact that several guys have commented in this very thread, that the dimmer switch hole/grommet were pre-installed.
Only one customer suggested the hole was pre-cut. I wonder if he was referring to the 'hole' as the grommet? The fact is that NOBODY supplies their carpets with a pre-cut hole. So you need to 'buy' our reply! ;) Snarky right back at you. ;)

oh, please point out where you see 'hole already cut' in our catalog or website so we can fix that.

Old 08-25-2014, 01:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Afraid that was me who suggested grommet hole was precut (my post sure reads that way). It was not precut. Grommet was included. I had to trim some excess material at the sides (1 1/2"?) but that was a benefit IMO to get a perfect fit.

Old 08-25-2014, 01:53 PM

Then I was mistaken, I thought I read 2 or 3 posts about the dimmer hole comment.

I'll double check my catalog for it, I could've swore it mentions dimmer hole....

Old 08-26-2014, 10:40 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Just warning others.
I agree on all of your disappointment and inconveniences. I was just explaining that just because you buy from a distributor, doesn't mean you can't make a special request. You inferred that it would be difficult or it couldn't be done. Plus, Don't shoot the messenger here. We're trying to help. :) If the carpet mfg's say, 'this is the way we have to mass produce these carpets', then the special request idea is better than completely closing the door on your needs.

For now, if anyone feels they got a short cut carpet and wants a better one, then unfortunately, yes you have to be inconvenienced and go through the hassle to exchange it. But for the same reason why you say you want to 'warn' everyone because you are a nice guy and dont' want people to go what you had to go through, then be a nice guy and let ACC see the problem so they can resolve it. That's how mfg's change things. Follow what I'm saying? :)

Old 08-26-2014, 10:47 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Agree 100%
When I laid mine in the car, I made sure everything lined up and fit,
The down side was, (because it was short) that I either had to expose the front floor pan,
Or
Expose the backseat pan below the backseat cushion. There wasn't any other option.
I attempted to split the difference but the result would've been the carpet fitting even worse,
And it would've exposed both the front and rear floorpans (a smaller amount than either but still exposed and the carpet would've sagged down at the rear seat).

As far as having acc look at the carpet, the carpet was a 1pc set so there isn't a front and a back section like a 2pc.
I didn't mean to infer you installed yours incorrectly. I was just saying that not ALL complaints turn out to be defects. Also, I was picturing a 2 piece which requires a little more diligence to install correctly. Unfortunately, with a 1 piece, you need to return the whole thing. I'm pretty sure we can arrange to have ACC do a call tag and pick it up. They are very prompt and could get you a replacement within a day or so of getting the other one back.
Another option would be to order another carpet first and then return the other one later, but if your confidence is shaken and you think ACC is going to send you another short carpet, then I'd suggest option 1 to be safe.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ccass: ok nice then.
what does a person do if the [bad carpet/short cut] was installed 2 years-ish ago?
what are if any steps does a person need to do?
also.....lets say that I am allowed to do a return, insted of me loosing summer/fall driving time [I live in NY] could I do the return in the late fall when the car is being put up for the winter?
And I still have to disagree with any mention of a buyer having to make a special request for a non-odd ball car [69 GTO] since thousands were made, if that was the case,PY would be out of bussiness [and the others] because we would just cur out the middle man.
I know you [PY/AMES etc.] don't make the carpets.
Any way.......your suggestions on a possible return???
Also.......thank you for being involved,I have been reading other post [PYPES down pipes] and notice you are looking into that for a fellow member.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:49 AM
Administrator

See answers in bold below....
Quote:
Ccass: ok nice then.
what does a person do if the [bad carpet/short cut] was installed 2 years-ish ago?
what are if any steps does a person need to do?
Is this a show car? In other words, does the carpet look like it's been used for 2 years or does it look basically new? What color? I'd be a little concerned that a color might not match as it may be a different production run or your carpet may have faded slightly. If you don't have a concern in this regard, then I'd say we'll get this arranged.
also.....lets say that I am allowed to do a return, insted of me loosing summer/fall driving time [I live in NY] could I do the return in the late fall when the car is being put up for the winter? well it's been 2 years. I don't think another couple of months will make a difference.
And I still have to disagree with any mention of a buyer having to make a special request for a non-odd ball car [69 GTO] since thousands were made, if that was the case,PY would be out of bussiness [and the others] because we would just cur out the middle man.
I know you [PY/AMES etc.] don't make the carpets.
I agree with you. I was just trying to promote that we have very good relationships with our suppliers and you'd be surprised at the type of things we can get done on your behalf if needed. It was poor timing and an accidental diversion on my part
Any way.......your suggestions on a possible return???
Also.......thank you for being involved,I have been reading other post [PYPES down pipes] and notice you are looking into that for a fellow member.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Show car-no-just a fair weather car.
Color-black
What do I need to do[and other members] to make this exchange happen?
Do I [we] need to dig out my old reciept

Old 08-27-2014, 03:07 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Show car-no-just a fair weather car.
Color-black
What do I need to do[and other members] to make this exchange happen?
Do I [we] need to dig out my old reciept
I think black would be ok.

when you are ready to return the miscut piece, e-mail bobh@performanceyears.com with your name, address and contact into and he will make arrangements for you to send it to ACC. Please reference this topic in your e-mail as this is a unique situation. At that time, we'll contact ACC and get them up to speed.

No need for the receipt. We can look up your order on our system.

Old 09-18-2014, 03:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Does this abnormality translate to other models? 64 GP? Winter time is interior time from firewall to trunk pan, headliner to carpet, complete color change. Looks to me like $2500 USD should about cover it right down to the armrest pads.

My wife says she'd llike my car a lot more if it wasn't mine.

64 Grand Prix 389 .030, 1.65 Scorpion Rollers, Tripower, RARE Long Branch, Custom Stainless Exhaust and mufflers, 3.90 posi 200-4R. 068 cam.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:45 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willshire View Post
Does this abnormality translate to other models? 64 GP? Winter time is interior time from firewall to trunk pan, headliner to carpet, complete color change. Looks to me like $2500 USD should about cover it right down to the armrest pads.
There is no epidemic problem with ACC carpets. The problems experienced by a couple of the members here are isolated problems that ACC is willing to address and take care of.

Old 09-19-2014, 02:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I didn't mean to imply this was an epidemic. I noticed a couple guys had the same issue and was wondering if it was fixed. I live in ontario so cross border return shipping will be costly. I am reviewing the PY catalog now trying to get a price on my entire interior. My version must be old as some part #'s i entered aren't working or are for something different.

My wife says she'd llike my car a lot more if it wasn't mine.

64 Grand Prix 389 .030, 1.65 Scorpion Rollers, Tripower, RARE Long Branch, Custom Stainless Exhaust and mufflers, 3.90 posi 200-4R. 068 cam.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willshire View Post
I didn't mean to imply this was an epidemic. I noticed a couple guys had the same issue and was wondering if it was fixed. I live in ontario so cross border return shipping will be costly. I am reviewing the PY catalog now trying to get a price on my entire interior. My version must be old as some part #'s i entered aren't working or are for something different.
No offense taken!

When you get into needing interior parts that involve colors, the part number needs a letter at the end. If you don't enter it, nothing comes up. It's kind of a pain. For example, a 1964 GP seat upholstery kit in black is W5464AS55 blue is W5464AS54. Black Carpet for a 64 GP is W10430A red carpet is W10430B. So if you only key in what you see in the catalog W5464A or W10430, you won't get the results you want. In this particular case, it might be easier to shop by category; ie; Interior, carpets, 61-64 carpets. Then you'll see all the carpets and all the colors available for your year.

Another option is to have one of the staff help you. If you can send an e-mail of the description of the items you need, we can do the quote for you.