THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 09-24-2020, 02:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Arrow Pontiac - The Story Of Our Obsession

No matter if one is performance minded or just love Pontiac's, this is diverse and has something for everyone.

When you have a little time, take a look and enjoy. I thought it was very good, interesting and informative.

The history, "Not all of it was good but most of it was memorable". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Odb0eFs_3xU&t=123s

Frank

Last edited by 4zpeed; 09-24-2020 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Start the video at the beginning
Old 09-24-2020, 08:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I got as far as the early 1930s, talking about their straight six but instead showing us a picture of the 1960s overhead cam six.

Old 09-24-2020, 10:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andretti View Post
I got as far as the early 1930s, talking about their straight six but instead showing us a picture of the 1960s overhead cam six.
Ah yes, Chief of the six's.

I noticed that too, I thought the content was pretty good but they really needed allot more pictures pertaining to the dialog.

It's like they only had so many images to show, when the time came I was looking to see a 69 TA but that never happened.

Frank

Old 09-25-2020, 07:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4zpeed View Post
It's like they only had so many images to show, when the time came I was looking to see a 69 TA but that never happened.
He explains this in other videos, apparently it's a licensing thing. Youtube will pull your video if you use any pictures that aren't explicitly public domain or paid for (with proof) to one of the licensing agencies that likes to police the internet. He likely could have made some contacts here or other places and gotten permission to use photos, but considering how difficult it is to make those connections and be trusted, I don't blame him for not doing it.

Old 09-25-2020, 05:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben M. View Post
He explains this in other videos, apparently it's a licensing thing.
I see now, thanks for the comment Ben, makes sense to me. He does spit a pretty entertaining narrative, kept me interested.

Frank

Old 09-25-2020, 05:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

One thing that I don't believe that some people know is that if the said company (GM/Pontiac in this case) hasn't used a trademark for over 25 years, they have no claim to it.

The Indianhead insignia/logo was last used as a high beam indicator in 1970, after 1995 they lost their claim to use it as a trademark.

Since I've used the Indianhead logo on my own Tee shirts I was obligated to find this out. If the guy is worried about it there is plenty of info outlining the laws pertaining to copyright, trademark, and licensing infringements.

Examples below:

The Arrowhead is still under the copyright. GM/Pontiac still uses it on their Pontiac website. When/if they quit using it, the 25 year wait starts.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 09-27-2020, 08:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
If the guy is worried about it there is plenty of info outlining the laws pertaining to copyright, trademark, and licensing infringements.
You can be legally in the right but all it takes is one of those agencies that likes to run around on the internet filing a "claim" and YouTube, et al will pull the video rather than question and then it's up to you to prove otherwise. And any picture that he uses that he didn't specifically take he has to have license for in writing (Getty, et al are bad about filing random claims against photos they have taken and copyrighted off of random sites and claim they are theirs). Music is a real pickle because they have lawyers that police the internet like mad, photos are just taking their cue.

Anyone who is trying to make money off of ad revenue on videos on YouTube has to be extra careful.

Old 09-27-2020, 10:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben M. View Post
You can be legally in the right but all it takes is one of those agencies that likes to run around on the internet filing a "claim" and YouTube, et al will pull the video rather than question and then it's up to you to prove otherwise. And any picture that he uses that he didn't specifically take he has to have license for in writing (Getty, et al are bad about filing random claims against photos they have taken and copyrighted off of random sites and claim they are theirs). Music is a real pickle because they have lawyers that police the internet like mad, photos are just taking their cue.

Anyone who is trying to make money off of ad revenue on videos on YouTube has to be extra careful.
I'm not well versed in internet, or video claims, but felt I needed to be on the right side of the law as far as GM/Pontiac, so I researched the portion of laws that affected my business.

GM does have people that pay attention to anyone using their trademarks, and has legal people watching their use. Maybe I was just lucky, but I never ran afoul of them.

There have been other people that I know of that have had legal contacts from the GM/Pontiac by selling merchandise with their trademarks on them. I wanted to avoid that, and talked to quite a few of the people that had been affected, before I did the Tee shirts.

Ames was one of the businesses that had been contacted by their legal department, so Steve was the first person talked to about it. His advice was to stay off of the internet, which I did, so that does make sense that these people watch the internet mostly. Probably because with search engines, they don't have to leave their office.

Also spoke with Jim Wangers, because he was so well tied to the Pontiac advertising department, he told me not to worry about it. Now while not true legal advice, I trusted their judgement.

Funny thing is GM is one of the entities that uses other peoples trademarks, sometimes with consent, and compensation, and sometimes with out. Trans Am, and Can Am are ones that they paid for, GTO not paid for, and due to it's ambiguity of just being some letters, not a word, it was not paid for. The FIA used it before GM/Pontiac did. It's not known if the FIA ever tried to contest it.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Last edited by Sirrotica; 09-27-2020 at 10:17 AM.