Old 07-07-2018, 10:13 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 68 Vinyl Dash Insert Install

A few years ago my brother got me a Instrument Cluster and Dash Housing set, anyone ever install one of the woodgrain vinyl inserts?

Seems like it may be a little tricky since it's basically a sticker and being vinyl may be prone to stretching if one had to pull it to readjust.

Also the vinyl insert I've had for a while and is for the original carrier, Ames lists one for the original and one for the reproduction.

When I inquired about the difference between them the lady at Ames told me she didn't know but apparently there is one.

I wouldn't think there should be if it's a good reproduction but I'll call again to speak with someone else and regardless order the vinyl for the repo carrier.

I'll let you know what I find out about the new carrier and vinyl, thanks for the help,

Frank

Old 07-09-2018, 12:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What do you mean by 'carrier'? I'm guessing you mean the actual plastic instrument panel?
I've installed three of them in the last 10 years. The concave curvature of the instrument panel makes it a little tricky but take your time, should work out ok.
The last one I did, I hedged my bets by using trim adhesive on the panel just like the originals had. It's been in place for 6 or 7 years now and no peeling or lifting whatsoever.
Test fit it without removing the backing just to make sure it will fit properly. You may have to slightly trim it here and there.
Once you peel the backing, start in the vertical center, ie. the low spot in the concave panel, and work from the center up, then center down alternately, of course going side to side as you progress.
If you choose not to use the weatherstrip adhesive, it is possible to wet the entire thing with a spray bottle and just a drop of dishwashing detergent. This will let you reposition it multiple times. Once it's in place, let it dry for a day or two and it will be set.

Old 07-09-2018, 12:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Did GTO dashes from the factory use the thin metal backing plate for the woodgrain insert?

Old 07-09-2018, 12:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No, although they are sold now. I can't see any reason for it myself although I suppose it makes it a little less tricky if you applied the vinyl to the metal on your workbench, then the metal/vinyl assembly to the dash as a ridgid piece.

Old 07-09-2018, 03:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Did a "real" GTO dash have the pebble grain plastic behind the insert, or was it smooth. I know the aftermarket vinyl inserts don't seem to like the pebble finish much.

Since my GTO dash is long gone, I have a Lemans dash ... with the pebble finish of course.

Old 07-09-2018, 03:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I want to say the original woodgrain insert in my car had a thin metal backing plate to it, but it's been 25 years so I might be mistaken. At any rate, it was definitely thicker than the repro woodgrain I have in there now.

All dashes had the pebble texture, the woodgrain was applied on top.

'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)
Old 07-09-2018, 03:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Did a "real" GTO dash have the pebble grain plastic behind the insert, or was it smooth. I know the aftermarket vinyl inserts don't seem to like the pebble finish much.

Since my GTO dash is long gone, I have a Lemans dash ... with the pebble finish of course.
My original dash has the pebble texture under the woodgrain overlay.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Old 07-09-2018, 05:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for the help guys, yes Greg the instrument panel, they call it a carrier in the book.

So I can actually wet that vinyl and the glue will still adhere? If so that's great, that'll allow me to adjust it as necessary and probably the way I'll go.

And dry fitting it will help also if it needs trimmed as you said. When you used the trim adhesive did it allow you to adjust somewhat?

I just don't want to make a mess and rather not use it if the water works, sounds like the method for applying graphics.

Thanks again,
Frank

Old 07-09-2018, 10:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

All GTO's and Lemans had a thin plastic backer under the vinyl " wood grain sticker " over the pebble surface . Tempest was pebble only I believe. A few years back you could get the plain "sticker" or one that would work right over the pebble surface . I don't think that applies today and is why you need the aluminum backing for between the pebble surface and the "sticker/decal".

Old 07-10-2018, 12:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I could also almost swear when I pulled my original dash apart there was a very thin metal backer, I remember it because it had rust starting to form on the back side of it that was bare steel with no paint or anything ... and this was in 1977.

Need to find some pics of junkyard GTO dashes .. should be able to spot a backer if the woodgrain is peeling off or a steel backer is rusting.

Old 07-10-2018, 07:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Maybe so but I've never seen the backer on the vinyl and I've stripped at least two. Personally, I wouldn't bother with it. Like using two gaskets...introduces another place for failure. Just my opinion...and yes, the dash is pebble grained on both instrument panels I have in my possession.
Also, I did not use the metal backer on mine as it is now and it worked just fine with the sticker directly over the pebble. Been in place for several years.

Frank, I wouldn't bet on being able to adjust it with the added contact cement. As for the soapy water, my disclaimer is that I haven't done it with the instrument panel vinyl but I've used the technique for years in other adhesive-backed vinyl type applications such as R/C plane decals and so forth. It's kind of a well-known technique for applying exterior graphics on all kinds of things.
Might check this article (that I just googled) before you make a decision.
http://www.signindustry.com/vinyl/ar...L_wetapps.php3

Here are a couple or three photos from the chrome spray paint thread-
First pic was as found under the original vinyl-

After black paint-

After 'chrome' paint-

And after vinyl-

Last edited by Greg Reid; 07-10-2018 at 07:40 AM.
Old 07-10-2018, 12:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sweet, hope my next one goes on that nice.

Old 07-10-2018, 05:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

This is my original backer under decal. Should be an easy thing to spot if you look where glove box door meets dash bezel , side view .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	487614   Click image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	487615  

Old 07-10-2018, 06:12 PM

I made my own "backer". The original was glued to the chromed plastic pebble grain bezel. No way was the original coming off without being destroyed. Pulled it off in pieces and reassembled with tape to make a template from balsa wood. Stuck the applique to the balsa wood and contact cemented all of it to the dash bezel that was re-chromed and painted, etc. Been on the car for 30 years without issue. The applique sold by Pontiac Parts vendors is far too thin to apply and hide the pebble grain underneath it.

1994 25th Anniversary Trans Am WS-6 Clone,
1986 Buick Grand National
Old 07-11-2018, 12:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6869GTO View Post
This is my original backer under decal. Should be an easy thing to spot if you look where glove box door meets dash bezel , side view .
Exactly! ... It wasn't rusty metal .. it was a color that reminded of rust.

Why is it an issue to get a reproduction that fits properly? 2D pieces like this are very easy to have made. I've had numerous similar products done in the past. All of mine were small enough to scan an original on a flat bed scanner, import to AutoCad in a known DPI, do the necessary CAD work ... send the file to one of the many places that can CNC laser/waterjet/die stamp the required material and you are good to go.

The last decal I tried was like putting scotch tape on an orange. Peeling off as we speak.

Old 07-11-2018, 09:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Interesting. I've never seen that backer and I had no problem with the pebble grain showing through my repop vinyl wood-grain applied directly over it.
I seem to recall....possibly...that there are two different manufacturers for the repop stuff? Maybe one is thinner than the other?

Old 07-11-2018, 12:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The "sticker" I got was probably 10+ years ago from Ames, their cheapest one at the time I think. The pebble stuff didn't show through, but adhesion was not good since it was only touching the top of the "pebbles". Of course my prep was probably not ideal either.

Hard to believe no one is making these already done .... woodgrain already on the backer, ready to install. Certainly not rocket science compared to some of the complex reproduction stuff out there.

Old 07-14-2018, 04:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Hard to believe no one is making these already done .... woodgrain already on the backer, ready to install.
Spoke with a Ames rep. (very helpful), she told me the reason for the separate backers and inserts is a slight difference in fitment as mentioned before.

The price is more than likely a factor, as they do list a backer, page 64 part # A272JB for the original and # 272JPB for the repo, both $89.00.

With that price and the vinyl, same page, original part # A272J, repo # A272JP at $26.00 plus shipping, $14.00 would be about $130.00 to the door.

With the vinyl insert being as thin as what it is you may be able to get away with using it directly over the old one, assuming you are using the original carrier.

Someone decided a stereo was more important than the dash in my car, " a common thing in the day", that's why I needed a new carrier.

Also inquired about the install, it was suggested I talk to a rep so a call back Monday is the works, let you know what I find out.

Appreciate all the posts, comments and info, just goes to show it's hard to tell sometimes what's original or if someone has been there.

After all that's the name of the game isn't it, you want to make it look like no was has.

Thanks again,
Frank