Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 03-12-2024, 05:46 PM

Default Brake Lights stay on

An unusual problem that I'm hoping someone has a solution for:

When I apply the brakes on my '69 GTO the brake lights illuminate properly. However when I release the brake pedal and begin to accelerate the brake lights often stay illuminated for several seconds (sometimes as long as 5 sec).

I noticed one night that the brake pedal seems to be returning to its normal height very slowly after I release it. I can actually slip the toe of my left foot under the pedal and "lift" it back into its normal position (I don't have to do this every time I brake, however).

Any idea why this is occurring? Other than this issue the brakes seem to be adjusted fine and operating properly.

TIA!

Old 03-12-2024, 06:39 PM

I had a similar problem. The original rear drum brake show return springs were weak. Replacement fixed it. Other causes could be a restriction in the hydraulic lines or swollen brake hoses. Power brakes may have a broken return spring in the booster.

Old 03-13-2024, 08:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Check the switch at the pedal

Old 03-13-2024, 10:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

If the brake pedal is returning slowly, it's likely not immediately closing the brake light switch.

You need to fix the issue with the pedal and likely also adjust the depth of the brake light switch.

If you have a brake power booster on your car, typically there is a large spring inside that also acts as a return on the pedal. This spring may be wearing. Manual master cylinders only have the springs inside the bore that push back on the pedal. Typically a pedal mounted spring is installed to help. If that spring is worn and stretched it may simply need replacement.

Old 03-13-2024, 12:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There is also a return spring, I think, on the pedal itself, to complete the pedal return after the booster and MC have pushed as far as they can. Maybe or maybe not? The earlier GTOs did have the pedal return spring inside the car.

"Bill"!

Old 03-13-2024, 12:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill ryder View Post
There is also a return spring, I think, on the pedal itself, to complete the pedal return after the booster and MC have pushed as far as they can. Maybe or maybe not? The earlier GTOs did have the pedal return spring inside the car.

"Bill"!
I'm sure there were some rules in that regard. Speaking only of first gen birds, it appears that manual transmission cars with manual brakes got a return spring. Automatic transmission or power brake cars don't seen to have gotten the spring and I've read reports that 69 model year cars didn't get a spring at all.

As long as it doesn't interfere with your foot, adding even a light spring to help isn't going to hurt anything. It would certainly help the OP's issue as well.

Old 03-13-2024, 07:56 PM

Fix the problem first.

The Following User Says Thank You to Red80TA For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2024, 07:15 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCMDGTO View Post
Check the switch at the pedal
I have had an issue where the small L shaped bracket at the pedal that holds the brake light switch got bent over time just enough to not allow the button on the switch to get fully depressed, this was on a 4 speed 68 Firebird with a return spring. Sometimes the lights would go off, a small tug on the pedal would engage the switch.

I find it not uncommon for the pedal to return slowly at the very top of the arch, especially if it doesn't have a spring. A 'slight' bending of the L bracket fixed my problem.

Frank