Old 08-10-2017, 09:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That must have been a long time ago because I can barely remember it.LOL I did sell a few 70's the last couple of years that had WS blocks. Those blocks are getting harder to find. Still need another one .

Old 08-10-2017, 10:55 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by weranc55 View Post
That must have been a long time ago because I can barely remember it.LOL I did sell a few 70's the last couple of years that had WS blocks. Those blocks are getting harder to find. Still need another one .

It's been a couple maybe 3 years. I still kick myself in the ass for letting that one go, but how was I to know I'd end up actually needing one at some point, least of all one that was literally in the perfect date range. Wish I had the vin written down somewhere. Be nice to know if that block was the right one for my car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 08-10-2017, 12:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll see if I have a picture of the Vin somewhere. It was either in a blue car or a white car I sold down in kisimee a few years ago. I do know that the Vin on one of the blocks was very hard to read .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6981.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	460799  

Old 08-10-2017, 04:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by weranc55 View Post
I'll see if I have a picture of the Vin somewhere. It was either in a blue car or a white car I sold down in kisimee a few years ago. I do know that the Vin on one of the blocks was very hard to read .
When you say Kissimee I'm assuming you mean Florida. I sold a 70 Lucerne blue/parchment interior A/C T/A to I believe to someone in Tampa back in the eighties. I still have the entire drivetrain to that car. I always wondered if that car was still around. I tried posting on here a while back but got no responses.

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
Old 08-10-2017, 04:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

/\ really, you replaced, and saved the original entire drive train!?

Was numbers a non-issue when you did this?

call me curious.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 08-10-2017, 05:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I did the same thing back in the 1980s.

Let's say I found a running driving early T/A or Formula that had a mechanical issue, such as a rod knock. I would buy it, swap in a garden variety Grand Prix 455 and use it as a driver. Then let's say I found something else I wanted and decided to sell the car. Most buyers back then didn't care about the numbers matching status of the engine. If the new buyer didn't care about the original engine, it went into the basement.

Old 08-11-2017, 08:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well hind sight is 20 20. I was in college, I had my 78 T/A, my 72 455HO Formula and a totally rustfree 70 T/A A/C car. I had a storage problem(about 1985) and one had to go. My 78 I bought brand new so that wasn't going anywhere. I always liked my Formula and the 70 was the last acquisition. I stripped the 70 of anything that was T/A specific. I have the sway bars, the gauges the interior, the engine hood scoop to oil pan, the trans and converter and of course the 12 bolt and driveshaft. I even saved the wheels but somehow, don't ask me how but I only have one wheel left. It killed me then to sell it but I really had no choice. Currently, the engine is in my 78. The original engine from my 78 blew and broke block. It came apart like 2 dollar watch. Broke the crank in four pieces. So really the only numbers matching car I have left is my Formula. Of course I would love to have it back, if I knew then what I know now I probably would have tried to do something. Funny thing was I sold the car and about a month or two later I saw it for sale again for the exact price I sold it for but by someone else.

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
Old 08-11-2017, 10:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieT/A View Post
Well hind sight is 20 20. ...The original engine from my 78 blew and broke block. It came apart like 2 dollar watch. Broke the crank in four pieces. ....
LOL!

2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 08-12-2017, 10:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I did that with a 74SD formy and a 71 TA back then, lol.

Old 08-14-2018, 05:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

So, here is an update. The car was found completely by accident. Guy sent me a text asking if I had a bunch of one year only 70 parts. I ask him, is this for a Trans Am (thinking spending all this money on a base model formula is not wise) he responds with texting a pic of his vin tag. I look at it yep 887. I think look a little closer...... damn that vin looks familiar . Last 6 109720. Hmmmmm. I ask him do you ha e your original block? He says yes I do. I say are you sure, I only ask because and I send him a picture of the vin stamped in my block. He responds well maybe I don’t, guy I bought it from said the original block was one of the two he gave me. He does some research blah blah blah and comes back with nope it went to such and such a machine shop and they sold it to the guy I bought it from which is less then 20 miles from where the car sits today......

Old 08-14-2018, 05:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Doubt I'll find the original block to my blue 70: built in CA, title is from MN, and car was sold to Fabulous Firebirds (MO) by someone in OH. Car had a roll cage for racing.

Old 08-14-2018, 06:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTASSBIRD View Post
So, here is an update. The car was found completely by accident. Guy sent me a text asking if I had a bunch of one year only 70 parts. I ask him, is this for a Trans Am (thinking spending all this money on a base model formula is not wise) he responds with texting a pic of his vin tag. I look at it yep 887. I think look a little closer...... damn that vin looks familiar . Last 6 109720. Hmmmmm. I ask him do you ha e your original block? He says yes I do. I say are you sure, I only ask because and I send him a picture of the vin stamped in my block. He responds well maybe I don’t, guy I bought it from said the original block was one of the two he gave me. He does some research blah blah blah and comes back with nope it went to such and such a machine shop and they sold it to the guy I bought it from which is less then 20 miles from where the car sits today......
super cool!!

Old 08-14-2018, 06:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Congrats!

Would you know if the EUN was the same on the other engine as compared to yours?

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 08-14-2018, 09:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've got a couple of SD455 blocks I've acquired over the years. One of the cars was listed in the SD registry, the other two have never been listed. I'd love to know what happened to the bodies, and went as far as posting the last three digits in the SD thread. I haven't received any responses, even from guys who collect build sheets and VIN number data. My guess is the cars have long since departed, or are stashed in a garage somewhere because the owner lost interest.

It's worth making an effort to reunite the body and the motor, could make somebody very happy down the road.

Old 08-15-2018, 06:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Awesome! Nothing like getting an original block back with the car. I picked up my numbers block a little over a year ago for my '70.

1978 Y88 Trans Am W72/auto
1979 10th Anniversary Trans Am
1984 Trans Am
1993 Trans Am
1999 30th Anniversary Trans Am
2001 10th anniversary Firehawk #104
2006 GTO
Old 08-16-2018, 02:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTASSBIRD View Post
So, here is an update. The car was found completely by accident.
Is he interested in getting the block ?
Or already bought it from you ?

Not interested in buying it - just curious how that part played out.

Have seen some pretty bizarre scenarios arise when a car and a block have a chance to reunite.

Old 08-16-2018, 09:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sometimes things don't work out as expected when you find the car.

In the early 80s I bought a 1970 WS motor from a guy who had decided to put a Chebby LS7 in his car. I stuck the WS in the basement with other engines. Then around 2005 or so, I got a call from a guy who got my name from a friend, said he was looking for a WS engine. I told him I had a couple and I might have one that might date match his car, and I gave him prices on a short block and a long block with heads and intake. We got talking and he described his car, and how the previous owner converted it to Chebby power. The stories matched up, so I checked the VIN and found I had his original motor. I had already given him a price, but he felt since the VIN matched his car he still somehow owned that engine. He refused to pay my price, which was pretty much the going rate for a 1970 WS engine. He had a lawyer write me a letter demanding the motor and threatening legal action, which I ignored. He knew he had no legal claim to the engine, so a few months later he called and said he was willing to buy it. I was pretty irritated with the whole affair, so I told him I would never sell it to him. I later sold the WS to a guy I'd known for several years for a car he had picked up. He had his chance to make his car a numbers matching, but he decided to be an a-hole. I don't feel a bit bad about the way things played out.

Old 08-16-2018, 10:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho-mike View Post
Sometimes things don't work out as expected when you find the car.

In the early 80s I bought a 1970 WS motor from a guy who had decided to put a Chebby LS7 in his car. I stuck the WS in the basement with other engines. Then around 2005 or so, I got a call from a guy who got my name from a friend, said he was looking for a WS engine. I told him I had a couple and I might have one that might date match his car, and I gave him prices on a short block and a long block with heads and intake. We got talking and he described his car, and how the previous owner converted it to Chebby power. The stories matched up, so I checked the VIN and found I had his original motor. I had already given him a price, but he felt since the VIN matched his car he still somehow owned that engine. He refused to pay my price, which was pretty much the going rate for a 1970 WS engine. He had a lawyer write me a letter demanding the motor and threatening legal action, which I ignored. He knew he had no legal claim to the engine, so a few months later he called and said he was willing to buy it. I was pretty irritated with the whole affair, so I told him I would never sell it to him. I later sold the WS to a guy I'd known for several years for a car he had picked up. He had his chance to make his car a numbers matching, but he decided to be an a-hole. I don't feel a bit bad about the way things played out.
What a a-hole. Him and his lawyer.

Old 08-16-2018, 12:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

wow!?

that's unfortunate all around.

Old 08-16-2018, 01:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Zeppelin View Post
Is he interested in getting the block ?
Or already bought it from you ?

Not interested in buying it - just curious how that part played out.

Have seen some pretty bizarre scenarios arise when a car and a block have a chance to reunite.

It’s sitting in my garage waiting to find out, I was gonna sell it a few weeks ago (ironically it was actually listed on Craigslist in his city at the time this all took place). For now I’ll keep it and use it in my formula until either he ponies up the cash (for what it’s worth I didn’t try and jack the price up at all) or if I’m lucky decides to sell the car and hopefully I can match the two up that way.....