Old 07-17-2018, 03:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by azbirds View Post
I had a 70 Formula that was carousel red with black interior. 400 4speed car. Sold it yo a nephew that promptly destroyed it!
bummer!

Thanks for chiming in!

I think that this is the first legitimate Formula that I have seen in this hue in a long time which wasn't mine...
there are many wanna-be Formulas, and I'm not knocking that, but seeing another legitimate paint code 65 Formula seems to be quite uncommon.

I love the bumperettes;
if I don't find someone who wants mine, I am thinking I may add them (along with one other thing) as a post-purchase "dealer added accessory"

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 07-17-2018, 11:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My 72 T/A also has the bumperettes and I do like them a lot! The hard part to them is getting ones with good rubber strips. No repops on the market. They are currently off the 72 because of that.

Old 07-18-2018, 12:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

i actually bought some nearly perfect rubbers off a member here several years back;
It took a looong time to find them, iirc I found the bumperettes from a wrecking yard in Rapid City SD circa 2002, and the rubbers were maybe around 2012!?

2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 07-18-2018, 12:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This has been in the back of my mind for some time:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dld View Post
... The spring color thing may have been to freshen up the car line in a sense buy marketing depart. just a thought .
Then yesterday I came across this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigborehunter View Post
Just to clarify further. "Spring Color" means it was a limited run for a certain time period. Manufacturers often drop and add colors through a year to meet demand. Spring promos are part of this drop and add cycle. This would likely be a color available from March to mid May 1971 before it is replaced with either a new color or one that is in demand according to 10 day sales reports. Goldenrod Yellow was used as a promo color in 1969, it changed name in the early 70s Storm Yellow then returned to Goldenrod Yellow with a tie in for the 76 Formula Firebird. Odd that no literature has turned up about Orbit Orange as a promo color.
So, if you look at the information presented:

1) Carousel Red was available for the full model year on Firebirds for 1969 - which extended into the first half of what would conventionally be the 1970 model year.

2) including earlier attachments in this thread, we now have three sources which state that Carousel Red (Code 65; aka 'Hugger Orange') was a "Spring 1970" model year colour.

And it looks like it is quite possible that my previous understanding of this being a 'special order' colour, was correct, but in the context of it only being available for a specific window of time during the 1970 model year.

My car is a 06A car, not knowing how far in advance orders for cars preceded the car actually getting built, it would seem reasonable to assume my car's order may have been placed in April, but no later than mid-late May... ??

It's too bad that I have not yet seen any GM material which has spelt out the "spring" colour order dates...

Old 08-21-2018, 04:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Is it possible "spring" color is just another way of suggesting the color was introduced midyear, regardless of season?

Because, in that case, it would make sense for all the colors.

FWIW, the midyear Mopar 1970 colors also appear on the 1971 chip page.

Old 08-21-2018, 09:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Look at code #51 "Golden Red Yellow". Is that a typo and should actually be golden rod yellow"? Just looks strange to me.

Old 08-21-2018, 09:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, looks like it.