67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 03-15-2018, 03:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 69 Convertible Quarters

I'm considering new quarters, 69 convertible, rather than continuing with patchwork I started. Does anyone know who makes the GM licensed panels? Goodmark, Dynacorn, Sherman? Best fit?

Old 03-21-2018, 04:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Not sure AMD has full conv. quarters yet.
Based on feedback pertaining to their other sheet metal, they have good quality.

Goldenstar also has full conv. quarters.

Regardless of brand, there are probably only 1 or 2 sources who actually produce them.

Even if you found NOS quarters, you should expect that some finessing is required. Fit to tail lamp panel, rear filler panel, upper B-Pillar to door.

Semper Fi
Old 03-21-2018, 07:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm in the same boat and bought 80% panels from Jegs. I won't attempt to put them on myself, but from what I've read putting on full quarters makes it a lot harder and more expensive.

Also, I can't find convertible wheel wells. I've head that hardtop wheel wells can me made to fit, but I don't know how they need to be tweaked. If anyone has experience with the wells I'd appreciate it.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:01 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by thews View Post
I'm in the same boat and bought 80% panels from Jegs. I won't attempt to put them on myself, but from what I've read putting on full quarters makes it a lot harder and more expensive.

Also, I can't find convertible wheel wells. I've head that hardtop wheel wells can me made to fit, but I don't know how they need to be tweaked. If anyone has experience with the wells I'd appreciate it.
The top seams need to be bent flat to clear the top mechanism. Pretty sure they did that at the factory as well, I'm pretty sure coupe and 'vert used the same parts after looking at a few different original 'vert cars. Get out the old medium weight maul and have at it.

Old 03-22-2018, 09:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68tpls400 View Post
The top seams need to be bent flat to clear the top mechanism. Pretty sure they did that at the factory as well, I'm pretty sure coupe and 'vert used the same parts after looking at a few different original 'vert cars. Get out the old medium weight maul and have at it.
Thanks for dropping this knowledge. Sounds doable.

Old 03-23-2018, 09:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thews, I did 69 Camaro partials some years ago and paid a body man, who did incredible custom work, to stitch in the sections needed. About 1400 invested plus my set up labor time cutting out the bad metal. I bought the Eastwood lead body working to level it up. But I am not certain I have the panels contoured well, and I can't easily hide the seams inside the trunk. That's why I'm considering starting over.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180323_195628.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	478821  

Old 03-24-2018, 02:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by einstein View Post
Thews, I did 69 Camaro partials some years ago and paid a body man, who did incredible custom work, to stitch in the sections needed. About 1400 invested plus my set up labor time cutting out the bad metal. I bought the Eastwood lead body working to level it up. But I am not certain I have the panels contoured well, and I can't easily hide the seams inside the trunk. That's why I'm considering starting over.
Wow... that sucks. My car has the lips cut in the wells and folder under, but it's not rusted.