THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 07-31-2011, 02:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default I will shoot that dog in the head

New neighbor just moved in. And they have a Rottweiler.....no chain...no fence. This morning I went out to the mailbox and the dog came off their property and onto the street....and came at me. They came running out and called the dog back (the dog was reluctant to go back to the owner).

If this dog comes off their property at me again, I will put a 9mm bullet in its head.

Thanks for the rant

Old 07-31-2011, 02:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

In past week here in Lansing papers, two cases of people being "charged " by dogs, dogs getting shot. Both shooters charged with felonies FWIW. Typical US legal system, protects the moron.

Steve

Old 07-31-2011, 02:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I know here, unless you have proof that the dog bit you or your livestock, it's a felony to harm the dog unless it's been deemed dangerous.

Blame the owners, NOT the dog. They can't control their dog and they should have to suffer the consequences, not the poor animal. Document what's going on and contact animal control, we've had similar issues in our neighborhood and it ended up in court with a local dog owner having a misdemeanor and a suspended jail sentence. If their dogs are even observed outside their house without a muzzle on, or outside of their fence at all, I think they get 150 days in jail. 2 of their dogs had already been deemed dangerous due to killing other owner's pets and they were repeatedly (and documented) outside the fence and off their property despite being warned, which is a big no-no. We haven't seen the dogs since, but they are not friendly people and blame everyone else for their dog's behavior.

Complete contrast to other neighbors when one of their (small) dogs actually bit my wife. She calmly approached the neighbor, explained the situation and we haven't seen the dog since. That's a responsible pet owner.

Do not antagonize or be agressive with the dog in any way or even if it does bite you, you'll have no recourse. Every dog gets one free bite around here, and if you antagonize it or get agressive, as far as the law is concerned if it bites you, you got what you deserved.

Old 07-31-2011, 03:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't care what the law is. If a dog comes at me, family, or pets aggressively I will defend myself or them and after I am done with the dog I am going after the owners next.

Old 07-31-2011, 03:34 PM
Suspended

Call animal control immediately and have them cited. Someone is gonna get hurt.

Here if a dog is off it's own property it's a code violation. If an animal is off it's property and is chasing, biting fighting or even menacing another animal (or human) you are within your rights to shoot the animal and the owner will still be charged with violating codes. Animal control will suggest you protect yourself and other animals if the owner will not.
If you don't kill the animal and there are two occurrences of code violations for chasing, biting, fighting or menacing the owner is ticketed twice and has to pay a bond and notify their insurance company that they have been cited for having a dangerous animal.

That means big bucks in premiums--they'll get rid of the dog.

Old 07-31-2011, 03:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidponcho View Post
New neighbor just moved in. And they have a Rottweiler.....no chain...no fence. This morning I went out to the mailbox and the dog came off their property and onto the street....and came at me. They came running out and called the dog back (the dog was reluctant to go back to the owner).

If this dog comes off their property at me again, I will put a 9mm bullet in its head.

Thanks for the rant
Have you talked to the owner? The dog needs to learn his new boundaries But he did what he is supposed to do.(be aggressive towards strangers and you are a stranger to him) The owner needs to teach the dog his NEW boundaries and I'm pretty sure if you make friends with the dog and let it know you're supposed to be there it won't go after you. Probably wouldn't give you a second look.

Old 07-31-2011, 03:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Have you met your new neighbors yet? It might be a good idea to introduce yourself and welcome them to the neighborhood. They may not be bad people. Give them a chance to do the right thing.

Old 07-31-2011, 03:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
Have you talked to the owner? The dog needs to learn his new boundaries But he did what he is supposed to do.(be aggressive towards strangers and you are a stranger to him) The owner needs to teach the dog his NEW boundaries and I'm pretty sure if you make friends with the dog and let it know you're supposed to be there it won't go after you. Probably wouldn't give you a second look.
Sleepy,
I was typing my reply while yours was being posted. You got me at the light!

Old 07-31-2011, 03:48 PM
Suspended

Good advice. Meet them--welcome them. Tell them the animal is aggressive and they need to constrain it. I wouldn't give any room for wiggle on them chaining the dog, personally. You'd rather not have to shoot him. I'd call Animal Control the next loose dog occurrence after you talk to them.
Good luck getting to the door!

Old 07-31-2011, 03:50 PM
Senior Chief

Pepper spray?

Old 07-31-2011, 05:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Buy some large "milkbone" biscuits. Make friends with the owners and the dog. My neighbors have three huge dogs that would bark and growl at me every time I was out in the yard. I decided one day to give them each a treat and now they sit at the fence wagging their tails when they see me.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 07-31-2011, 06:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

a thick steak seasoned with the proper ingredients is the answer

Old 07-31-2011, 06:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I like the milkbone biscuit idea, just soak them in antifreeze first.

3 Generations of "Beach Boys Racing" !

Everybody knows somthin.
Nobody knows everything !

1st time on a dragstrip, 1964. Flagstart !

"Thanks for the entertainment."

"Real Indians Don't Wear Bowties"
Old 07-31-2011, 06:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I told them they need a chain. I won't be waiting for their un-restrained Rotty to bite me, my kids, or my 83 year old mother. I'd rather be brought up on charges.

Old 07-31-2011, 06:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am a firm believer in animal rights.... Shoot the owners.

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles
Old 07-31-2011, 06:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My dog acts agressive (barking or growling) when she sees new people but when she aproches people she a big baby! I would agree get to know your neighbors and tell them maybe the dog is harmless if it knows you. No sense in getting arrested and charged over something that possibly could be fixed. I think the neighbors need to be more controlling of their pets if nobody knows who or how their dog is.

1968 lemans :In progress!
1970 Bonneville 455 HO convertible (survivor)sold
1969 firebird
Old 07-31-2011, 06:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68lemansman View Post
My dog acts agressive (barking or growling) when she sees new people but when she aproches people she a big baby! I would agree get to know your neighbors and tell them maybe the dog is harmless if it knows you. No sense in getting arrested and charged over something that possibly could be fixed. I think the neighbors need to be more controlling of their pets if nobody knows who or how their dog is.
What kind of dog do you have?

Old 07-31-2011, 07:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidponcho View Post
What kind of dog do you have?
Pitbull terrier

1968 lemans :In progress!
1970 Bonneville 455 HO convertible (survivor)sold
1969 firebird
Old 07-31-2011, 07:08 PM
Senior Chief

A couple of 1 inch by 1 inch cubes of foam soaked in chicken noodle soup works. Dog will eat it then won`t be able to unload his dung .Yippee let`s count how many people say I`m a moron. I`m only saying what I`ve read I HAVE NOT DONE this nor would I.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We had 2 dog shootings here recently in Anne Arundel county (in Maryland, one of the most liberal and anti-2nd Amendment states in the country). Both dogs were Pit Bulls, and not properly restrained by their owners. One person was charged, the other not, which is odd in Maryland...not even charged with unlawful discharge of a firearm.

Bottom line?

Shoot the friggin' dog if it comes at you menacingly...the hassle you'll go through will be less than if the dog takes a chunk out of your ass.