Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 05-21-2017, 04:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought one and passed another one on to a pontiac guy a few month ago.Just passed a std deck 303 block to a guy doing a Titus TA build.They are out there but most people dont know much about them and pass on them as they are not a "400" or "455" block.The 303 has the drysump provision.Tom

Old 05-21-2017, 04:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
I bought one and passed another one on to a pontiac guy a few month ago.Just passed a std deck 303 block to a guy doing a Titus TA build.They are out there but most people dont know much about them and pass on them as they are not a "400" or "455" block.The 303 has the drysump provision.Tom
Tom, do you know what the casting number was on that block?

Old 05-21-2017, 04:25 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
PERSONAL DEAL OR DID THE SELLER HAVE PICS TOO FOR THE 303 DRY SUMP???

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 05-21-2017, 04:29 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
A 366 NASCAR block is the block to find.Had a stock 4.155 bore and 3 in main.Heavy walls and joined lifter bores.Tom
Could have bought my buddy"s 366 Engine in the late 70s. Probably the ultimate
3" main block from the factory. Tom S has a way of tracking stuff down for sure.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 05-21-2017, 04:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tom,Ken Croche had the drysump pump,put the buyer and seller together,I think he is actually working with Nell on it.I sold him my cam for it.I think Jim Robertson is doing the IV headed std deck engine.I have not checked lately how the deal is going.The actual Titus 303 short deck engine is being built at Ron Shavers place.I took a set of foils over a couple month ago for it.It is going in a Titus car.Don Keefe had the engine,sold it to John Riconda and John reunited it with the Titus car.Some really neat stuff going on in the background of our hobby.There is a 303 std deck rotating assm on ebay now for a few month.I have some interest in it but not at his number.Tom

Old 05-21-2017, 05:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
Welter ran a Supercharged Engine long before he ever went to the Turbo Stuff.

Think the Supercharged Car was the one he had his bad crash in.

Learned something on the 389 SD Blocks, that they and the 61-62 421 SD block were the same block casting, no Pyramid on the back.

Tom V.
Really? Never knew Welter ever had a supercharger

Old 05-21-2017, 08:34 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbird View Post
Really? Never knew Welter ever had a supercharger
Think that was the car/engine he had his bad wreck in. I saw the parts for it at Butler's many years ago. Shiny (Polished) Finish Roots deal, if I remember correctly. This would have been after years of NOS and the a very short time with the Roots, and then the Single Turbo car.

Tom V.

Old 05-21-2017, 08:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
Think that was the car/engine he had his bad wreck in. I saw the parts for it at Butler's many years ago. Shiny (Polished) Finish Roots deal, if I remember correctly. This would have been after years of NOS and the a very short time with the Roots, and then the Single Turbo car.

Tom V.
I never knew John to run a supercharger either,and the only time i can remember him using NOS was when he was street racing the red 66 gto in the 90's,before he tubbed it. There were 2 firebirds that were wrecked,a 97 and the turbocharged 02. Maybe he had a supercharger and i didn't know about it,but i never saw it at the track.

Old 06-02-2017, 04:27 AM
Senior Chief

Default 389 sonic result

The sonic test has just come back and its kind of not what I was hoping for. One to six are what I was expecting but seven and eight are kind of shocking and not at all nice. The huge differance between frount and back is not what I have seen before and I was wondering if this is common. It was surgested to me that the block might have been sitting on its bell end with water sitting in it but it would seem unlikely to me that the corrosion would be that even around the clylinder.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	389 sonic 001.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	189.0 KB
ID:	456004  

Old 06-02-2017, 04:36 AM
Senior Chief

forgot to add block is at 4.090

Old 06-02-2017, 09:51 AM
Boost Engineer

Just a trivia type deal, Body was a lot older vs a 97 or the 02 Firebird bodies.
Think it was a car he had after the 66 and before the 97 car, but a long time ago and
the deal had a very short life.

You could ask when and where David Butler wrecked his car and what he was doing when he wrecked it and 95% of the people would not know that deal either.

Tom V.