Old 01-28-2024, 05:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Best heater core, 67 LeMans

I completely rebuilt the heating and AC system in the LeMans last year. It worked like a charm. I bought the replacement heater core for an AC car off of Rock Auto. I immediately found that it was different than the original, in that it didn't fit into the bracket that holds down the end that is away from the water necks. I made it fit, but now see that the stupid thing has shat the bed. Disapointing. I'll replace it, but wanted to see if anyone knows of a manufacturer that makes one closer to the original one, in size and fitment. I can't remember the name of the manufacturer that made the one that's in there now.

Old 01-28-2024, 07:59 PM

No answer, just questions. Was it aluminum or copper? Please give an autopsy report of where it failed.

Old 01-28-2024, 11:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I ordered my heater core through my local old school radiator shop. Expensive? yeah, a bit, but it was exactly like the original. Just make sure your shop knows what you want.

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Old 01-29-2024, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG68 View Post
I ordered my heater core through my local old school radiator shop. Expensive? yeah, a bit, but it was exactly like the original. Just make sure your shop knows what you want.
It would be great to find an old shop like that, but most seem to have dried up around here.....

Old 02-09-2024, 09:45 AM

I just rebuilt the hvac system on my 65. I purchased my heater core from our host. Lil pricey compared to aluminum cores , but fit perfectly…& all copper construction like OE…. I would suggest to make a restriction in hose leading into core… seams to be a life saver against premature failure (?). Not the hardest job to replace,but I sure would hate to have to redo so soon… sorry for your troubles Sprint…