THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 242177P View Post
Not going to stick my neck out too far, but a GM dealer is not the kind of place you pick up engineering prototypes.

If I had a nickle for every outrageous claim I've heard... Sometimes there is some basis behind them, but in my experience the majority are nothing more than fantasy.
I agree with you 98% - but I think you have to make an exception for Royal Pontiac.

Lots of interesting parts and cars flowed through that GM dealership.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 01-07-2010, 12:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree, except that some Pontiacs that were sent through PMD engineering made it to a dealership and were sold, and is stated as such on the invoice. Of course these aren't prototypes, BUT some prototypes and engineering cars WERE saved from the crusher. People need to understand the difference is between a prototype, a test car, and an engineering car. It's not always clear, and sometimes an engineering car becomes a test car, and sometimes an engineering car becomes a prototype.

Back to this 68 442 FWD - obviously, this 68 442 FWD car was a engineering exercise by Hurst, and it's a one-off car. After evaluation, this car MAY have been sold at a dealership, but as a used car. It would not have had anything to do with Oldsmobile Engineering, and there would be no warranty. Now because of Hurst's ties to Oldsmobile, I'm sure the story that the fellow gave that his relative claimed he "bought it at a dealership" may be true, and it may have actually have been at an Oldsmobile dealership, but it was a modified car and would not have had a GM warranty. In essence, this 68 442 FWD is a hot rod. It's a slightly different scenario when a dealership (such as Royal) drops a 428 into a 1968 GTO, because those cars still had warranties and were serviced as such. Or the earlier Yenko cars that had engines swapped, they were still warrantied by a dealership. This 68 FWD 442 is something that came out of the Hurst factory as a one-off. It did its job, Hurst received some ink in the media, and that was it. I'm sure the car was driven by a Hurst employee for some time in 1969 or 1970, and it probably ended up being traded in at a dealership later, perhaps an Olds dealer, but there are no ties to Oldsmobile.

Now what people have ignored through all this controversy is why would Hurst make a 68 442 into FWD? The only purpose I can see is, like I stated above, to get a little publicity for Hurst, and exploit the Oldsmobile FWD arrangement. Also, since Hurst was famous at that time for their wild all wheel drive "Hurst Hairy Olds" exhibition drag car, they wanted to promote the Oldsmobile FWD transaxle.

Now if Hurst had gone the extra step and removed the trans tunnel, that would make for a very interesting A-body interior!

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNoun View Post
Now what people have ignored through all this controversy is why would Hurst make a 68 442 into FWD? The only purpose I can see is, like I stated above, to get a little publicity for Hurst, and exploit the Oldsmobile FWD arrangement. Also, since Hurst was famous at that time for their wild all wheel drive "Hurst Hairy Olds" exhibition drag car, they wanted to promote the Oldsmobile FWD transaxle.
maybe. or they were looking into making an "all-weather" executive hot rod. As we all know our RWD cars unless heavily loaded in the rear are damn near useless in the snow. Maybe this was Hurst answer to an unasked question...

Old 01-07-2010, 03:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noun View Post
I agree, except that some Pontiacs that were sent through PMD engineering made it to a dealership and were sold, and is stated as such on the invoice. Of course these aren't prototypes, BUT some prototypes and engineering cars WERE saved from the crusher. People need to understand the difference is between a prototype, a test car, and an engineering car. It's not always clear, and sometimes an engineering car becomes a test car, and sometimes an engineering car becomes a prototype.
I'm pretty sure we're on the same page, but by way of a sidebar, here are the definitions that I live by:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post

Chronologically in order of level of refinement:

Mule vehicle: this is a previously completed vehicle that is modified by cutting/pasting/cobbling the new content. Typical usage is for engineering development/concept development.

Integration vehicle: can be either a modified existing vehicle or ground up build. Parts will be production design intent (mostly) off either prototype or production tooling. Can be either stall (stationary) build or line built. Typical usages are for engineering development or validation/durability testing. In the old days these might be called "Prototype" vehicles.

Manufacturing Validation Build - Nonsaleable: these are built in the assembly plant. Parts are production tooled (hopefully) but not saleable status yet. Purpose of the build is to validation the manufacturing process, highlight build problems that need to be fixed before mainstream production. Vehicles are fairly refined but have a "nonsaleable" (ie experimental) VIN and cannot be sold or titled. Typical usages are for Engineering and early Marketing uses. In the old days we might have called these "pilot" vehicles.

Manufacturing Validation Build - Saleable: built in the assembly plant. Parts are production tooled, fully saleable status, suppliers have proven they can meet production line rates. Purpose of the build is the next level of refinement in the validation process, continue to surface build problems that need to be addressed, and gain confidence in the ability of the process to meet line rate. Typical usages are for Engineering, Captured Test Fleets, and more formal Marketing events. We would call these "pilot" vehicles, too, or very early regular production vehicles.

Lastly there is the Start of Regular Production: these are the real deal. Regular high volume vehicles released to the public.
Note that, for pre-production vehicles, there is a distinction between the "vehicle owner" (ie, Engineering, Marketing, Durability, Validation, Design Studio) and the "vehicle type" (Proto, Pilot).

Having had the benefit of further though, I would say we need to add one more category: super low volume regular production vehicles. I would suggest that the Swiss Cheese cars and the Super Duty Tempest/Lemans would actually fall into this category, especially since the builds occurred in the middle of the model year.

I'll close by saying this: some of the parts in my collection are experimental parts from Pontiac engineering, delivered to Dick Jesse (many under the auspices of being "scrap" ). Dad liberated them from Dick's desk at Royal ...with Dick's permission, of course.

Ok - sorry bout that.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 01-07-2010 at 03:09 PM.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird72 View Post
well I do agree 100% with what you say also.... BTW, would you be interested in buying my NASCAR Ram Air heads?
I've chased similar stories. Even if it's a very slim chance, any lead on tunnel port 303 stuff is worth pursuing - but when it turns out to be a 4.9 T/A with an opened up shaker...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
I agree with you 98% - but I think you have to make an exception for Royal Pontiac.

Lots of interesting parts and cars flowed through that GM dealership.

K
Granted. I've never really considered Royal to be an ordinary dealer. A perfect example of something worth tracking would be the white 67 GTO (HO/auto) which they had. Without documentation, some might not realize the significance of this one. Connect the dots though...

Old 01-07-2010, 07:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Keith, we're on the same page, but you stated it better.

The only part I would disagree with is :

Manufacturing Validation Build - Nonsaleable: these are built in the assembly plant. Parts are production tooled (hopefully) but not saleable status yet. Purpose of the build is to validation the manufacturing process, highlight build problems that need to be fixed before mainstream production. Vehicles are fairly refined but have a "nonsaleable" (ie experimental) VIN and cannot be sold or titled. Typical usages are for Engineering and early Marketing uses. In the old days we might have called these "pilot" vehicles.

Some pilot vehicles were later sold through dealerships, so I would say "usually Nonsaleable".

We also have to acknowledge the fact that some prototypes were later taken out of engineering, and survive to this day, while others were destroyed. As we know, the Banshee(s) and some other prototypes (or concept cars) were not destroyed, and Pontiac would not be legally responsible if they were driven on a public road and involved in an accident. Some other prototypes were destroyed, even some that appeared like production units with some changes to the bodywork or the drive train. I guess it's on a case-by-case basis, if someone at engineering wanted a specific car, after they were through with their evaluation, and whether they had any "pull" to talk someone into allowing them to buy the car.

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebird View Post
Interesting. Though that Body tag is from a Cutlass Holiday coupe, not a 442... (33687 vs 34487)

Almost all 68' 442's were like that. The body's came down the assembly line as Cutlass's. It wasn't until they got the order sheet to see if were mated to a 442 or Cutlass. All 68 442's have 442 vins but the body tag (on most) were cutlass.

In 69 they rectified this situation.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNoun View Post

Back to this 68 442 FWD - obviously, this 68 442 FWD car was a engineering exercise by Hurst, and it's a one-off car. After evaluation, this car MAY have been sold at a dealership, but as a used car. It would not have had anything to do with Oldsmobile Engineering, and there would be no warranty. Now because of Hurst's ties to Oldsmobile, I'm sure the story that the fellow gave that his relative claimed he "bought it at a dealership" may be true, and it may have actually have been at an Oldsmobile dealership, but it was a modified car and would not have had a GM warranty. In essence, this 68 442 FWD is a hot rod. It's a slightly different scenario when a dealership (such as Royal) drops a 428 into a 1968 GTO, because those cars still had warranties and were serviced as such. Or the earlier Yenko cars that had engines swapped, they were still warrantied by a dealership. This 68 FWD 442 is something that came out of the Hurst factory as a one-off. It did its job, Hurst received some ink in the media, and that was it. I'm sure the car was driven by a Hurst employee for some time in 1969 or 1970, and it probably ended up being traded in at a dealership later, perhaps an Olds dealer, but there are no ties to Oldsmobile.

Now if Hurst had gone the extra step and removed the trans tunnel, that would make for a very interesting A-body interior!
It was stated that 6 of these were built and supposedly 5 destroyed. It's been rumored of another like it in Up State KY. I've heard it from a known Olds Collector around these parts. It was also stated that it was built for George Hurst himself, no doubt to promote the Toro transaxle (due to the Hurst Hairy Oldsmobile)

In the article and pictures, they DID REMOVE THE TRANS TUNNEL..

And for the record I would love to own a car that George Hurst had personally built for himself.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Kev, I don't know what I was thinking about the trans tunnel. Yes, they DID remove the floor pan. Thanks for correcting my mistake! Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.

P.S. - I mentioned the "1 of 1" because I too had read that the other 5 were destroyed long ago.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:45 PM

No problem Mike. Like I said it's rumored that there is one just north of here.
I first heard of it about 10-15 yrs back. I have a friend that knew the guy that had it.

I may see if I can get any info and/or pics. It is rumored to be Gold also.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:49 PM

Default 1968 front wheel drive 442 update

1968 Olds 442 converted to front wheel drive by Hurst using 455 Toronado equip. Car is undergoing restoration and will be at the Muscle Car and Corvette Nationals in Chicago this November. I completed all paint and body in Tucson, and car is back in Phoenix area with owner for reassembly. Car is featured in the latest edition of the "Hurst Equipped" book, looking exactly as it did when it arrived at my shop. Car stated life as a highly optioned black 442, then painted a very special gold by Hurst. I have owned/restored many Olds over the years, it is great to be involved in this unusual project.
Come check out this piece of history in November!

Old 08-12-2013, 06:53 PM

thank you for the info.

Pretty cool that you have been involved with the restoration of this incredible car!!

I'd love to take a trip to see this car.

1969 Oldsmobile 442 convert.
1969 Firebird Pro-mod project
69 Bonneville 428 4dr hdtp
1970 Olds 455 SX
1973 RS TypeLT Z28 Camaro
1973 Pontiac Ventura parts car
1973 Olds Omega
1978 Olds Omega SX
Various other parts cars.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The MCACN show is 30 mins from my house. Ill be there.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father&Son73T/A View Post
As a former 68 442 owner for 18 yrs,I loved my car, a FWD Hurst built is very interesting,but I would care less in owning one.
However it is very rare and intersting.
Another intersting note is that in 68 the ONLY 455 you could get from Olds was the badboy 455 Olds used for 68 Hurst Olds.
That was a 390hp,the highest rated Olds motor.......ever.
I have to see more info on this rare FWD to see what was in it,as only the HO 455 was available in 68 as far as I know.
Those look like Toranado hub caps/wheels.
1968 was the first year of the W machines I understand. I have a 68 Toronado W34 which has a 400 hp 455 (factory rated). Supposedly only somewhere between 111 - 118 built that year. (conflicting stories)

Old 08-12-2013, 08:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow, a 3-1/2 year old thread resurrected!

Interesting car, but as I had stated over 3 years ago, this car has nothing to do with Oldsmobile Engineering, and is not a "442 prototype" as the title of this thread suggests. The car was customized by Hurst, so essentially it's a custom car.

1968 was the first year for the 455, but the W-Machines started earlier, with the 1966 442 W-30.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeNoun For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2013, 10:53 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The 1968 442 w-30 is in my top 5 favorites. Besides the overall appearance of the '68 Cutlass, something about those red fender liners and lower forced air scoops make them very special. And they sound magnificent.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by T A 70 View Post
The 1968 442 w-30 is in my top 5 favorites. Besides the overall appearance of the '68 Cutlass, something about those red fender liners and lower forced air scoops make them very special. And they sound magnificent.
The 68 is a very special car. If I wasn't a Pontiac guy, Id be sooooooo into those cars. I cant remember the last time Ive seen one.

Its when I saw this music video in the 80's that turned me onto a 68 Cutlass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0lVmceDIts

Last edited by Old Blue 66; 08-13-2013 at 05:39 PM.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiak View Post
1968 was the first year of the W machines I understand. I have a 68 Toronado W34 which has a 400 hp 455 (factory rated). Supposedly only somewhere between 111 - 118 built that year. (conflicting stories)
54 W30's built in 1966.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father&Son73T/A View Post
That was a 390hp,the highest rated Olds motor.......ever.

What about the 1968 W-34 Toronado? 455/400

Old 09-12-2013, 06:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diego View Post
What about the 1968 W-34 Toronado? 455/400
I didn't even know about those......

1968 442-gone but not forgotten
"Oh,you can think about it,.....but don't do it!"
Sheriff Bufford T.Justice