Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 03-06-2014, 08:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default do you use synthetic oil

If you have switched from conventional oil to synthetic did you notice any improvements? I'm thinking about going with a synthetic 5-30 or 10-30,mainly to see if there is an increase in gas mileage. Not expecting anything drastic,maybe a couple mor mpg per tank.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:19 PM

From what I read, gas mileage would be more related to oil grade (ie: 5W20 would have less resistance than 5W30, 30, or 15W40, etc.) Here is a link to some info on oil from what I believe is an unbiased source.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/top-...motor-oil.html

Old 03-06-2014, 08:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I use synthetic oil only in the 2009 truck. It came with that oil from the factory, and the factory camshaft is a roller type.
I will not trust the synthetic to protect and lubricate anything with a flat tappet camshaft. Get a good conventional oil for them. Look for the best zinc content you can find, or use a good additive.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've used it since day one in my Toyota Tacoma and with 126,000 miles it's been great. I also have used it since we bought the CRV, change it every 10,000 miles so the cost is negligible. I use conventional in my Ford Superduty & in the old cars, synthetic will leak out of places that conventional will not - I'd like to keep the oil in the truck & the cars.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 03-06-2014, 09:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
I've used it since day one in my Toyota Tacoma and with 126,000 miles it's been great. I also have used it since we bought the CRV, change it every 10,000 miles so the cost is negligible. I use conventional in my Ford Superduty & in the old cars, synthetic will leak out of places that conventional will not - I'd like to keep the oil in the truck & the cars.
An unfounded wives tale, no one has ever been able to substantiate that it leaks any differently than dino oil.

Myth: You shouldn’t use synthetic oil in an older vehicle. The myth is rooted in the idea that synthetic oil is “slipperier,” lower in viscosity, or not as compatible with seals and will therefore leak or leak more in places conventional oil might not. Again, completely untrue. Synthetic oils will enhance the engine protection in older vehicles just as they do for new engines.

Myth: Once you switch to synthetic oil you can never switch back. This is one of the most persistent myths about synthetic oil—and completely untrue. You can switch back and forth at any time. In fact, synthetic blends are simply a mixture of synthetic and conventional oils. It is advisable that you use the same oil for top-ups if needed, thereby giving you the best protection from the oil that you have chosen.

I use synthetic in all my cars, except my diesel pickup because I use the Frantz filter on my truck. So far I've got 2 1/2 years and 20,000 miles on that oil in a diesel just changing filters and adding makeup oil. Rotella regular oil, not part synthetic, or full synthetic. The oil filter is the key to being able to change filters instead of oil, oil filtered to less than 1 micron feels exactly the same as brand new oil right out of the container. I just changed the filter last week and rubbed both oils between my fingers to see if it still feels the same, and yes it does.

My wife's car has 160,000 on it bought brand new in 2008 runs like a new one. I expect it to go 300,000 miles without any engine related problems using Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 03-06-2014, 10:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Run synthetic in my Silverado, the wife's Mercedes (mineral oil VIOLATES the warranty) and the Focus. No problems at all. I keep telling some of you people that we've been using synthetic oil in turbines for decades. The oil change cycle recommended by the manufacturers is ON CONDITION. No metal in the chip detectors, no oil change,PERIOD.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 03-06-2014, 10:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

thin synth blend

Old 03-06-2014, 10:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I only use it in my cars that spec it. (My wife's Toyota, for some reason.) All my other cars - including the Pontiac - get dino stuff.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Everything I own with a roller cam.Tom

Old 03-06-2014, 11:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I never saw any advantages to using synthetic. However, if I had a vehicle that recommended it I would use it.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We have done back to back oil change on the dyno and picked up usually 5 HP

Old 03-06-2014, 11:55 PM

Fact or Fiction? I've always been told that's it's best to break in a new engine with Dino. What about a pontiac 455? Or just a bunch of hubris?

1968 GTO Convertible; Rallye Gauges, 4sp Muncie, 400 block, forged Eagle 4.21 stroke crank (455), forged SP pistons, forged SCAT H-beam rods, balanced rotating assembly, 87cc E-heads, Comp 985 springs, Ti-retainers, XR288 Hydo Roller Cam, Roller rockers,Torker II, AED 850HO. Suspension Mods: Savitske Touring-Plus Package; 17" Torq-Thrust M's; Grand Cheeroke gearbox; Strange Dana 60/True-trac locker/3.54 ratio; Wilwood's up front.

2009 Pontiac G8 GXP
Old 03-06-2014, 11:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
We have done back to back oil change on the dyno and picked up usually 5 HP
I saw 11 from a spark plug change. And that was cheaper than putting synthetic in the engine. I guess if your looking for max output, then I guess that's the way to go. Honestly I don't think I could feel the 11 or the 5 when I hit the gas, but good to know.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68GoatMan View Post
Fact or Fiction? I've always been told that's it's best to break in a new engine with Dino. What about a pontiac 455? Or just a bunch of hubris?

Myth: You should break in your engine with conventional oil before you start using synthetic oil. Again, there’s no manufacturer we’re aware of that makes this recommendation. Mercedes, Porsche, Corvette, some Cadillacs, Volkswagen, Hyundai and many other manufacturers’ cars come from the factory with synthetic oil.

My 05 GTO came with Mobil 1 in it and the first oil change I went with Pennzoil Platinum oil in it and continued to use Pennzoil Platinum in it, 94,000 miles later it uses no oil so I tend to believe in my own experience that it's a baseless myth.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 03-07-2014, 01:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I use Mobil 1 in everything I own and have for years. I bought my '93 Eldo with 48k, it now has 233K, synthetic oil since I got it. It did have a lifter tick on startup back then, haven't heard that for years. Still runs well, no visible oil burning. Coincidence? could be, but I'm not going back to dino oil.

Starting at cold temps is easy, even at -15 this past winter, cranks more easily than with dino oil.

It also does not sludge up..looking inside the breather on the Eldo, the head is clean.
I'm sold on it.

Costco 6 qts on sale $25.

George

Old 03-07-2014, 05:12 AM
Senior Chief

Question if you are running synthetic oils do you still or should you still use the zinc additive?

Old 03-07-2014, 05:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68GoatMan View Post

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produc...ont%2fbrk.aspx

Old 03-07-2014, 06:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm using Brad Penn semi-synthetic oil. It has an increased concentration (1500ppm) of “zinc” (zinc dialkyldithiophosphate a.k.a. ZDDP) already in it.

Old 03-07-2014, 07:44 AM

I never used synthetic. I bought a new sonoma 4cyl back in 99. It has 325000 miles on it now and still sounds great and does not burn oil. Oil changed every 3-4000 miles. Mostly used castrol gtx.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I run mobil 1 in the corvette as recommended and dino oil in all the rest