THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 07-15-2022, 09:57 PM

Its a simple but important answer. This needs to be digitized. This can be time consuming but with todays technology and some temp workers doing whatever manual scan etc part is needed. Not a real hard task...time consuming? Yes. An investment? Yes. Lets ask ourselves, how are Galen Govier records Kept? What about the Marti reports? Do they keep those records in digitized form or are they sitting in the same old steel file cabinets that came out of the same dumpster the films did...
Easy to stop the deterioration. This for sure was a great resource for documenting cars but, in the absence of a 3rd party verification source for a potential buyer of a car and with the ease to basically make any PHS somebody could desire, makes the fact that these films will eventually be gone along with the ability for a buyer to verify a car apart from some printed PHS that the seller is holding onto..This verification process is what has made many cars have multiple PHS reports run on them. Many Many cars have had many reports mailed out... I have heard also that reports run in recent years are scanned into a computer but....what is this set up? A real "secured" hard drive or some computer sitting on a floor?
In a case where such important documents exist for anything the Care Taker role is very important...Where does it go from here? What changes? We all know...
An important subject none the less.....

The Following User Says Thank You to RamAirBirds For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2022, 10:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I think it’s worth $100. I paid $120 hour to have an electrician come out- and there were several choices for that.

I would imagine it takes an hour to receive info, payment and find the data for a specific car.

This information is important to us, but I doubt it’s that much of an investment. By now most of the high end cars have their PHS with the car. I would be curious how many of these get done per month. Probably less than we think.

Old 07-15-2022, 10:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This is a little off topic but does anyone know how far back they go?

Old 07-16-2022, 08:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

they go back to early 60's.

I had one done for a 61 Pontiac years ago that had pictures of it with race lettering from IL. It had 421 SD heads and SD intake on it also. I heard it ended up in NC years later.

USPS Money Orders or Wal-Mart to Wal-Mart money gram wire transfer -preferred payments.

If Payment doesn't show up in 3-4 days, I move on to the next person that wants it.

Serious Inquiries Only - Shipping Isn't Free.
Old 07-16-2022, 09:14 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I can add that I’m one guy who paid $85 I think for a run of the mill 77 Trans Am just because I was curious and thought it would be cool to see some info I may not have had. Don’t know much about my car so it was worth a try for the money. One thing I was curious about was where the car was sold. Unfortunately when I received my copy the invoice was barely readable in a lot of it to include where the car was sold. I think I can make out MI but that’s it. It’s awful. I could decipher a bit here and there but I was disappointed. When I reached back out to whom ever is handling things the response I got was that sometimes the microfiche looks like that and there was nothing that could be done. I wish I’d known that beforehand especially if it’s a crapshoot. Maybe others, or most, had better luck than me. For me, $85, even $100, might be worth it if one wanted the info for any reason but to toss a $100 bill into a pot and wonder if what you get is even readable seems….expensive.

If there isn’t any reason not to, and anyone is curious, I’ll post my invoice. I will say I did discover my car was originally a W72 car which I hadn’t known before so I guess it wasn’t a total loss.

Brian
Old 07-16-2022, 10:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I got mine back when pontiac was did it for free but I also payed over 100.00 for the same car to get one from Canada since mine is a Oshawa car. I for one am happy that these services are even available all these years later and I've definitely spent 100.00 on worse things.

Old 07-16-2022, 10:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrffytr1 View Post
This is a little off topic but does anyone know how far back they go?
1961 is the earliest information they have available.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stuart For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2022, 12:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhill86 View Post
I can add that I’m one guy who paid $85 I think for a run of the mill 77 Trans Am just because I was curious and thought it would be cool to see some info I may not have had. Don’t know much about my car so it was worth a try for the money. One thing I was curious about was where the car was sold. Unfortunately when I received my copy the invoice was barely readable in a lot of it to include where the car was sold. I think I can make out MI but that’s it. It’s awful. I could decipher a bit here and there but I was disappointed. When I reached back out to whom ever is handling things the response I got was that sometimes the microfiche looks like that and there was nothing that could be done. I wish I’d known that beforehand especially if it’s a crapshoot. Maybe others, or most, had better luck than me. For me, $85, even $100, might be worth it if one wanted the info for any reason but to toss a $100 bill into a pot and wonder if what you get is even readable seems….expensive.

If there isn’t any reason not to, and anyone is curious, I’ll post my invoice. I will say I did discover my car was originally a W72 car which I hadn’t known before so I guess it wasn’t a total loss.
Yes - please post. Maybe some of us that are local here in Michigan can figure out where your car is from.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 07-16-2022, 12:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Whoa!

Had me going for a second there, Stuart! I thought we had the exact same post count.

K

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stuart post count.jpg
Views:	551
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	594421  

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 07-16-2022, 04:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
Yes - please post. Maybe some of us that are local here in Michigan can figure out where your car is from.

K
That would be cool, thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C24EC7EF-B423-443B-9CC5-BD54BEE456B6.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	231.3 KB
ID:	594445  

Brian
Old 07-16-2022, 05:19 PM
Boost Engineer

I hope that is not what you paid your hard earned money for.
JMO Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 07-16-2022, 05:56 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

That’s it.

Brian
Old 07-16-2022, 08:00 PM
Boost Engineer

The whole left side of the document is basically unreadable.

Sorry but that is truth.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 07-16-2022, 10:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Milner View Post
$110 is a bargain to me. I have some other GM/Mopar projects that I would love to have info like PHS offers.
https://galengovier.com/services/registry/

You know about Galen Govier, for Mopars?

Old 07-16-2022, 10:40 PM

My PHS report wasn’t very legible either but with the help of our resident PY experts I was able to find out a lot of things I never would have known about my car.

Worth it.

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...d.php?t=771194

Old 07-16-2022, 11:09 PM

I've gotten the packet for most of my cars over the years. It's been worth the money just to know the information on my cars. Fortunately most all the packets I've gotten have been clear.

Pontiac apparently did this at one point since I have a letter from Pontiac from 1989 that a previous owner had sent to them for information on one of my cars. It was just the one page of the invoice he got back.

I just sent in to PHS for the information on my 69 LeMans today. I was disappointed that they don't provide the paper packet anymore, but I still value the information.

Old 07-17-2022, 12:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I recently emailed GM and got the build/option sheet for my 2011 truck, thought that was pretty cool.

Old 07-17-2022, 09:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

In the mid to late 1980s, the information was provided free but service was erratic and was limited to late 1960s and later cars. I requested a number of build sheets directly from the 1-800 number Pontiac used, and they were provided free of charge. The pricing was marked out, but I suspect that was to prevent competitors from seeing what their profit margins were. A few months later, I requested another build sheet that I never received. I called back 3 - 4 months later to inquire and I spoke to a very nice lady. She said that function was not staffed by Pontiac, and it was staff working during their spare time and summer interns who pulled most of the build sheets. She said to be patient, it would come eventually. I think just a few years later, maybe 1989-1990, it became a paid service. My first PHS I had to pay for cost $35, and came with a lot of additional information. I haven't used their service lately, but it was worth the money.

Old 07-17-2022, 05:42 PM
Senior Chief

In 1983, when I bought my 1977 Can Am, I got the information from Pontiac. It had the Auto show flyer and a copy of the invoice with the prices dealer prices blacked out. It only showed the retail prices.

The Following User Says Thank You to jerry455 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2022, 02:33 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The older PHS packet included all of the engineering specs and also had many part numbers. It answered many questions that I had. The last one I got was the e-mail type and the engineering docs weren’t part of the package.