Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 02-26-2022, 02:33 PM
Senior Chief

Default Thanks Vintage Air

After having all the Vintage Air parts for about a year, the job finally started last week and is near done as we chip away. The bag with the modified hose kit showed the proper lines on the picture, but the actual lines were incorrect. Contacting Vintage Air they said the policy is to check the parts within 15 days of receipt etc. We explained the situation (delays for install due to real world things) and they said no problem, they will ship the parts free of charge and free shipping. Being in Canada, the border complications, and the ongoing supply chain show-downs, we were very surprised when the parts showed up at the shop two days later. I really tip my hat to the great service. Plus, during the install their technical responses have been top notch.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 76TA462 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2022, 02:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had Vintage Air in a '65 Chevelle. I was very happy with it. It was a challenge because it was a factory A/C car. The kit is designed to retrofit non-A/C cars. Plus I hooked it up to the factory vents instead of the Vintage Air ones. Good to hear that some companies still provide support when they don't necessarily have to.

Old 02-26-2022, 03:03 PM
Senior Chief

For my car (76 TA) is a kit for non-AC and AC. Mine was originally an AC car and fit was excellent. I see on the non-AC version for my car that the center vents mock into the console. For my car all the new plumbing went to the original AC places.

Old 02-26-2022, 04:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Last May I bought their SureFit kit for my Bird (original AC Car). It's likely I won't install it for another couple of months but I have inquired about parts and other issues and their customer service seems great so far.

'69 Firebird 400/461, 290+ E D-Ports, HR 230/236, 4l80E, 8.5 Rear, 3.55 gears
'64 LeMans 400/461, #16 Heads, HR 230/236, TKO600, 9inch Rear, 3.89 gears
'69 LeMans Vert, 350, #47 heads: Non-running project
Old 02-26-2022, 06:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, I’ve shot myself in the foot on my install a couple times so far and they have been great helping me out. I just hope the product is as good as the service!

Quite a contrast from my SMS experience. Who have decided the best way to handle my 18 month old order is to ignore me. Nice!

Oh well, I’m batting .500 with vendors. I guess I should count my lucky stars.

Murf

Old 02-26-2022, 07:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Murf, THe SMS fabric folks???? If so, I can't see why I'd ever waant to deal with them, the wait times I've seen from folks with Chevy pickups, is marked in years....

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 02-26-2022, 09:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bought my kit from them too. Good to work with. They even bought my old POA valve.

Old 02-26-2022, 09:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Glad to see they offer reasonable support for their product. I used an Original Air (division of classic auto air) kit for my 77T/A that was a factory AC car. I’ve read about a few people who used that kit and had success and were happy. Mine works, probably has room for improvement but the “fit and finish” I feel was lacking on a $1200 kit. Customer service was also nearly non existent.

I tried to obtain tech support and was forced to schedule a call from then a week and a half out. They never called for something like 6 weeks or so. I forget now but it was ridiculous. The weather turned too cold to troubleshoot so I’m waiting till spring now. I’m not one to badmouth a company but that was my experience. People interested in AC kits can make their own decision.

I can say if I did it again, I’d try VA.

Brian
Old 02-26-2022, 10:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 TRASHCAN View Post
Murf, THe SMS fabric folks???? If so, I can't see why I'd ever waant to deal with them, the wait times I've seen from folks with Chevy pickups, is marked in years....
Well, they offer stuff that other people don’t. If I’d have known how it was going to turn out, we’ll you know.

How you coming on that 400 build?
Murf

Old 02-27-2022, 12:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Well, they offer stuff that other people don’t. If I’d have known how it was going to turn out, we’ll you know.

How you coming on that 400 build?
Murf
Don’t ask... lol, a buncha funds went into a new natural gas line in Sept. To quote Forrest Gump “ that’s all I’ve got to say about that”.......lol

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 02-27-2022, 07:36 AM
Senior Chief

a question for ya'll AC replacers?... My 81 TA factory AC car will need AC once I get that far into it. Since the engine is CURRENTLY out...is it worth while to remove the suitcase and install the Vintage AIR replacement cover? I am about to put in a new heater core ANYWAY.
I have heard that the aftermarket AC kits are ....OK at best compared to OEM but I'ts a T-TOP car and I would RARELY be using AC (wife requirement). I currently use the AC in my truck 4 times a year....to make sure it still works. (other than the occasional defrost)

Old 02-27-2022, 09:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 TRASHCAN View Post
Don’t ask... lol, a buncha funds went into a new natural gas line in Sept. To quote Forrest Gump “ that’s all I’ve got to say about that”.......lol
I remember you telling us about that at GB.
Oh well, I suppose it’s better than getting blowed up. 😁

Keep after it!
Murf

Old 02-27-2022, 12:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I will have to say, two years ago (before pandemic), I ordered the Classic Air for my Lemans and any time I called, they answered and tech was great. Last year, I couldn't get anyone to talk to. They would email though. Last fall, I was on a Fl trip and took my old compressor and poa valve to them and they were there and busy. They sent me a check in a week. Hopefully things get better for them where they can answer phones again.

Old 02-27-2022, 02:31 PM
Senior Chief

67Firebird. With the inner fender out, the job is easier, much easier. As for the engine in or out, I would suggest that it would be easier to swap in the VA cover while the engine is out simply because you can stand in the engine bay, but its pretty easy with the engine in as well. If your paint is really mint, with the engine out you can avoid the leaning over the fender scratches. Previous to the VA, I had stripped out the “suitcase” and replaced it with an AC Delete cover with the engine in. Again, the big plus to that installation was the removal of the inner fender. Just my perspective for what its worth.

Old 03-01-2022, 09:31 AM

Way back --- I bought a 78 Formula 400 with factory AC. Shortly after, my neighbor got a new 79 T/A... the AC on both cars sucked! Decided to go with the VA set up on our 78 T\A because it couldn't be any worse. lol. The previous owner removed most of the original AC, so cost would have been pretty high to fix anyway. It's about 60% installed. Like has been said several times, life happens, motors go bad. etc.