Old 05-27-2012, 07:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Passenger side speedo cable routing

The new M22 I bought has the speedo cable entering (or exiting) the passenger side of the transmission tailcone. How is this cable routed? Chevelles seem to have another hole popped in the firewall...

Old 05-28-2012, 06:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think they all came from the passenger side, except for 64; Just my 2 cents, but whatever works.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:48 PM
Senior Chief

There is a bracket spotwelded on the pass side floorboard for a clip. Not sure about another-maybe bellhousing area. Also a jumper cable for the added length. I'm doing a manual swap also and thats the way I'm going. If you look at Loffens 71 Lemans thread, the bracket on the floorboard can be seen, page 24 I think. John

Old 05-29-2012, 04:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You can see it on the bottom of this picture, but it is on the drivers side

Last edited by Loffen; 05-29-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

thanks, loffen - I have almost the exact same car as yours except blue...

Old 05-30-2012, 12:18 PM
Senior Chief

I could have sworn there was one on the pass side, thanks for the correction. I seen the other thread, great info. John.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Look like the last picture has been reversed/mirrord ??? Do really not know what happend to it.. sorry about that one, but it is on the drivers side

Old 12-30-2012, 08:53 PM

Default Speedo cable routing for 71 455HO with M22 4spd

Guys, jumping in on this thread with some pics and comments. I'm working on the routing the speedo cable through the back drive linkage...my 71 GTO restro project. A couple of pics are attached showing how I've routed the cable from the passenger side of the tail shaft, up over the top of the bell housing and then through the keeper I've attached to keep the cable out of the linkage. I see Loffen's pics in this thread but I'm uncertain whether there's supposed to be a bracket on the floor board for a factory Hurst 4spd setup. I'd also like to get some comments in general on whether you guys think this routing is correct. thanks. Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	drivers side.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	307762   Click image for larger version

Name:	pass side.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	307763  

Old 12-30-2012, 09:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Steve, I just checked my original 72, and that is the way mine is routed, with the exception of the cable going into that keeper bracket on the drivers side, just before it goes into the body. I dont see that keeper bracket at all on my car. Mine goes in front of the reverse lock out linkage, and in this area, there is extra padding on the cable as it comes over the top of the Trans.

Last edited by PB; 12-30-2012 at 09:50 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:52 PM

Pat, thanks for the confirmation. Mine used to be routed like yours but that was before I picked up that little bracket at Ames. I'll have to add some padding as well near the exh manifold.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_71GTO View Post
Pat, thanks for the confirmation. Mine used to be routed like yours but that was before I picked up that little bracket at Ames. I'll have to add some padding as well near the exh manifold.
Yeah, it's funny cause there is no extra padding/thickness on that side. It sits just above the exhaust, and there really isn't anything on that side to make sure it doesn't come in contact with the exhaust.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I cheated and went under the trans using a fabbed bracket on the trans to bellhousing bolts - straighter shot than over the trans.

Old 12-31-2012, 04:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Muncie 3-Speed Speedo Cable Routing

My Survivor 72 GTO has the standard Muncie 3-speed w/ Hurst floor shift. This trans also has the passenger side speedo cable, but mine is routed under the trans. There's cable support clips on both of the lower trans to bellhousing bolts. I'm not doubting any of the members on this post, but drawing 483612 of the 1971 Assembly Manual shows both HD 3-spd & 4-spd going under the trans.
Since we're all looking for as much accurate history on our cars as we can obtain let me add this. I'm sure most of you know that the 4-speeds had a built in "Transmission Controlled Spark Switch" to operate the "Vacuum Advance Solenoid" and control vacuum to the distributor. The Muncie HD 3-speeds didn't have that, instead they used a 2 piece speedo cable with a speed sensing device (SCS speed controlled spark) between the 2 cables. When 38 MPH speed was reached the distributor vacuum advance would kick in. As I mention in the Auto-biography of my 72 GTO the short lower cable by the trans would break every 10,000 miles. After it broke twice I bought a 1 piece cable for a 70 GTO and eliminated that problem.
I've attached a picture of the underside of my car that shows the cable routing. I don't know how to post the large photos, maybe I could send my picture to one of you and make it easier to view.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	72 GTO Undercarriage.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	307814  

HPP Sept. 2014 https://www.hotrod.com/articles/1972...-gee-no-g-t-o/
YouTube MCACN 2014 http://youtu.be/1IPQVPevbxU
1967 GTO Conv
Old 12-31-2012, 05:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

YNOBIL, thanks for the info.

Here's how to do the large pic thing:

1. add you pic as you did
2. preview post, open pic
3. right click, then select "copy image url"
4. go back to the text body of you post, type "[img]" then paste the URL and then type "[/img]"

Old 12-31-2012, 05:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebird View Post
YNOBIL, thanks for the info.

Here's how to do the large pic thing:

1. add you pic as you did
2. preview post, open pic
3. right click, then select "copy image url"
4. go back to the text body of you post, type "[img]" then paste the URL and then type "[/img]"

Thanks Scarebird, I never thought it could be that easy.

1967 GTO Conv
Old 01-01-2013, 04:55 PM

Default Assembly diagram pic and mystery unraveled??

Thanks for the page reference in the assembly guide YNOBIL! I had overlooked this. I've got a copy as well. Of course, the page is pretty rough; it's hard to make out any of the small type. But, I've attached it here for everyone to look at. Here are my conclusions:

1. The speedo cable was routed *over* the tranny tail shaft on all 4spds and some 3 spds. On other 3spds and auto's the cable looks like it was indeed routed under the tail shaft...this again is based on my interpretation of a rough diagram after looking at the writing with a magnifying glass. I highlighted the route of the 4 spd cable in yellow.

2. I believe that my setup (prior pics) is correct with respect to the route of the cable through the back lock linkage using the speedo cable bracket I purchased from Ames (part number R158NM if anyone's interested).

3. Diagram "D" in the attached pic shows the floorboard bracket in Loffen's pic...looks to be on the driver's side to the rear of the back lock linkage, per the diagram.

Let me know if you agree. Steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Factory Cable Routing.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	307938  

Old 01-01-2013, 07:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Thanks for the page reference in the assembly guide YNOBIL! I had overlooked this. I've got a copy as well. Of course, the page is pretty rough; it's hard to make out any of the small type. But, I've attached it here for everyone to look at. Here are my conclusions:

1. The speedo cable was routed *over* the tranny tail shaft on all 4spds and some 3 spds. On other 3spds and auto's the cable looks like it was indeed routed under the tail shaft...this again is based on my interpretation of a rough diagram after looking at the writing with a magnifying glass. I highlighted the route of the 4 spd cable in yellow.

2. I believe that my setup (prior pics) is correct with respect to the route of the cable through the back lock linkage using the speedo cable bracket I purchased from Ames (part number R158NM if anyone's interested).

3. Diagram "D" in the attached pic shows the floorboard bracket in Loffen's pic...looks to be on the driver's side to the rear of the back lock linkage, per the diagram.

I agree that assembly manual is hard to read. In Line Tube sells one that's ten times better. I saw it over at "TRIPOWER"s house. Not only are the pages crystal clear but it's also a heavier grade of paper. It's twice as much money as the old one but what good is a bargain if you can't read it? Here's the E-Bay Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/71-GTO-Leman...9b9c35&vxp=mtr They also sell the 1972 supplement that no one else has

1967 GTO Conv

Last edited by YNOBIL; 01-01-2013 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Added 1972 supplement
Old 01-19-2013, 09:54 PM

Default Speedometer cable housing routing for '72 455 HO w/ m22.

I am the original owner of a '72 GTO 455 HO. I am in the process of trying to resore everything that I 'messed' with over the years.

If it helps, the speedometer cable housing on my car passes under the bottom of the transmission and loops around to the drive coupling. The are two spring steel clips fastened under the two large bottom mounting bolts that mount the transmission to the bell housing, and the cable housing is held in place by these clips. I would post a picture, but much of my car is in the 'exploded' view condition right now.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:57 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjansen View Post
I am the original owner of a '72 GTO 455 HO. I am in the process of trying to resore everything that I 'messed' with over the years.

If it helps, the speedometer cable housing on my car passes under the bottom of the transmission and loops around to the drive coupling. The are two spring steel clips fastened under the two large bottom mounting bolts that mount the transmission to the bell housing, and the cable housing is held in place by these clips. I would post a picture, but much of my car is in the 'exploded' view condition right now.
As I stated earlier that's how my 72 GTO 3-speed Muncie is. And the assembly manual supports this as well

1967 GTO Conv
Old 01-20-2013, 01:25 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:

Steve I should of pointed this out sooner. Your interpretation of the Assembly Manual is wrong. The dotted lines that represent the speedo cable mean that it goes under the trans not over. They would be a solid line if they went over the top.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Factory%20Cable%20Routing 71 Pontiac.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	310287  

1967 GTO Conv