THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 08-18-2022, 07:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default It’s a bird, it’s a plane, it’s kinda a Pontiac?

So they’ve debuted a Delorean that is electric.
Guess that’s the closest thing to a new Pontiac?

Anyway thought I’d share it w you guys

https://youtu.be/6TzhI6H98OI

Many of you have read how I love my Tesla model X plaid and the fact it’ll click off 10 second passes all day long stock. Many haters out there too

So let the games begin on the Delorean.

https://www.ign.com/articles/delorea...t-pebble-beach

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!
Old 08-18-2022, 08:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It looks like any modern vehicle. Electric or not. If it had a different name on it, you'd never know who made it. That being said, it seems that most new vehicle announcements are electric. I don't mind one way or the other. Things change. Like I heard today that Streaming has overtaken good 'ole Cable TV.
I've never even sat in a Tesla. But I appreciate what they do. Got to say that the styling is getting to be dated they haven't really changed much.

Old 08-19-2022, 12:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66sprint6 View Post
It looks like any modern vehicle. Electric or not. If it had a different name on it, you'd never know who made it. That being said, it seems that most new vehicle announcements are electric. I don't mind one way or the other. Things change. Like I heard today that Streaming has overtaken good 'ole Cable TV.
I've never even sat in a Tesla. But I appreciate what they do. Got to say that the styling is getting to be dated they haven't really changed much.
The guy who styled the teslas is from my town. 😂
The performance of the Tesla is above anything I’ve ever driven from the factory, And. I’ve driven lambos and Ferraris amazing cars . In fact I raced 3 lambos w my Tesla plaid and beat all 3 !and it’s an SUV model.

Old 08-19-2022, 01:07 AM
Senior Chief

I see Delorean are late to join he game again. The time an EV was new and something different has disappeared. Tesla got it just right and created a company and sold a number of cars. I doubt another start up will be able to repeat what Tesla did.

As far as Tesla goes, all the larger manufacturers have hopped onto the EV train and will be able to a build better, faster and cheaper. Tesla will be broke and gone within 5 to 10 years.

Old 08-19-2022, 02:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Brengun View Post
I see Delorean are late to join he game again. The time an EV was new and something different has disappeared. Tesla got it just right and created a company and sold a number of cars. I doubt another start up will be able to repeat what Tesla did.

As far as Tesla goes, all the larger manufacturers have hopped onto the EV train and will be able to a build better, faster and cheaper. Tesla will be broke and gone within 5 to 10 years.
Idk about that the big 3 has sucked at building anything since the 70s Tesla has proven itself it’s got it down. Their cars are far superior to anything the general has ever put out.
Maybe if Pontiac was still around they’d have a chance but I’m unimpressed w anything they’ve made for a very long time.

My hellcat was a pretty amazing car but the Tesla has far eclipsed it. Anyone trying to knock Tesla down has a long road ahead . They are beholden to no one.
I like to think if Pontiac made an electric car that is what it would have been a Tesla so was kinda happy to see a Delorean that’s kind of close . . .

Last edited by Stuart; 08-19-2022 at 06:25 AM. Reason: removed political content
Old 08-19-2022, 08:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

An electric car conversion kit would be fantastic for our F, A chassis. Though there was a kit conv company.

Old 08-19-2022, 09:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

https://electricgt.com/shop/1967-1969-gm-a-body/

https://electricgt.com/shop/gte-413-ecrate-system/

These guys supposedly do an electric crate motor. Although I doubt that it's plug and play. They don't mention anything about where the batteries go.

On that note, the batteries are the weak link and the "final mile" of technology that they have not resolved. Imagine how fast the Tesla would be if it didn't have a 1,200lb battery to lug around. The equivalent of a full minivan's worth of people. So I'm thinking: how much stored energy is used just to move it's own batteries around? Whomever developes a new battery will be the world's next trillionaire.

Last edited by 66sprint6; 08-19-2022 at 09:28 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-19-2022, 10:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The electric forklifts we used at our plant ran 24 hours a day 365 days a year. The batteries slid out and another one slid in. (charging one while using the other)

Replacing a 1200 lb engine/tranny combo with a 1200 lb battery seems an even swap?

With further advancements in technolgy I can see when roads will have inductance coils in them and charge batteries while driving. (continuous charging)

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 08-19-2022, 11:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

How wide of a parking space will it need to fully open the doors ?

3 Generations of "Beach Boys Racing" !

Everybody knows somthin.
Nobody knows everything !

1st time on a dragstrip, 1964. Flagstart !

"Thanks for the entertainment."

"Real Indians Don't Wear Bowties"
Old 08-19-2022, 12:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post
The electric forklifts we used at our plant ran 24 hours a day 365 days a year. The batteries slid out and another one slid in. (charging one while using the other)

Replacing a 1200 lb engine/tranny combo with a 1200 lb battery seems an even swap?

With further advancements in technolgy I can see when roads will have inductance coils in them and charge batteries while driving. (continuous charging)

The grid isn’t ready for all these electrics they are promising. Won’t happen. In fact when I go to the super chargers already they are full in peak hours. The grid is already overloaded in many places.

The self driving is amazing these commercials you see w self driving not working have already been disproved . Over and over again . It’s just a political attack on Tesla.

Old 08-19-2022, 12:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Goat Racer View Post
How wide of a parking space will it need to fully open the doors ?
I’m assuming you mean because of the gull wing doors? They need less room than a regular door that’s part of why they did it that way. My Tesla has the same doors.

Old 08-19-2022, 02:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo69bird View Post
I’m assuming you mean because of the gull wing doors? They need less room than a regular door that’s part of why they did it that way. My Tesla has the same doors.
Interesting.

Everybody knows somthin.

Old 08-19-2022, 02:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Goat Racer View Post
Interesting.
If there’s not enough space on the side or above they sense it and they will only open to the point that’s safe also. Which can be kind of annoying but cool too.

Old 08-19-2022, 04:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
If there’s not enough space on the side or above they sense it and they will only open to the point that’s safe also. Which can be kind of annoying but cool too.
ALL cars and trucks should have that

Everybody knows somthin.

Old 08-20-2022, 01:32 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Idk about that the big 3 has sucked at building anything since the 70s Tesla has proven itself it’s got it down. Their cars are far superior to anything the general has ever put out.
Maybe if Pontiac was still around they’d have a chance but I’m unimpressed w anything they’ve made for a very long time.

My hellcat was a pretty amazing car but the Tesla has far eclipsed it. Anyone trying to knock Tesla down has a long road ahead . They are beholden to no one.
I like to think if Pontiac made an electric car that is what it would have been a Tesla so was kinda happy to see a Delorean that’s kind of close . . .
Ahh perhaps this is just because we have a different starting point to base our opinions on. I'm looking at this and thinking of BMW, Merc and perhaps VW and Peugeot (I live in Europe). I didn't for one second consider the GM, Ford, Chrysler comparrision. To be honest I don't have a clue about the new car market in the US.

Old 08-22-2022, 03:54 PM

This is the Delorean I want.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...ean-dmc-12-64/