The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 07-27-2022, 05:02 PM
Senior Chief

Default Front spoiler kit mounting without fender bolt retainers

So I have ordered a front spoiler kit for my 74 formula that originally came with the stainless wheel well trim and no front spoilers.
Has anybody had success mounting the two fender flares without using the fender mounting studs and maybe use a Hook Velcro tape or 3M VHB two way tape instead.My thinking is not to drill two holes in each of the original fenders incase for someone down the road wants it factory original.But not sure if either option is strong enough to secure the flares at 50 to 70 plus MPH.they might blow right off,LOL.
Any other options I am not considering?

Old 07-28-2022, 09:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

i cant comment on mounting the wheel flares without the main 2 studs since ive never done it, but many of the cheaper aftermarket spoilers dont have the inner brace with the studs like the factory or better quality ones do so they mount just using the small screws around the inner edge to fender lip & 2 on the bottom, they wont be pulled to the fender as tight as original types but they stay in place with just the screws.

Old 07-28-2022, 06:05 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
i cant comment on mounting the wheel flares without the main 2 studs since ive never done it, but many of the cheaper aftermarket spoilers dont have the inner brace with the studs like the factory or better quality ones do so they mount just using the small screws around the inner edge to fender lip & 2 on the bottom, they wont be pulled to the fender as tight as original types but they stay in place with just the screws.
Interesting never knew that.I have ordered the OER Urethan ones that are just like the factory did with the studs.But if the cheaper fiberglass ones did not have the studs maybe two way tape will work?

Old 07-28-2022, 07:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

the cheap repro ones i mentioned are flexible like the later 79-81 material, fiberglass would be hard like plastic. but for either type they mount to teh fender lip & bottom with small screws, that will hold them in place much better than tape.

Old 08-02-2022, 01:32 PM
Senior Chief

Oh I plan on using all the mountings other then the two stud mounts through the fender if possible.If not then I will drill the holes anyways. Done many.

Old 08-05-2022, 10:21 PM
Senior Chief

Got my front fender flares and fitment was tough with not drilling the holes for the two middle mounting studs ,so i just cut them off,as I found the flares are really secure without them anyways with just the small screws and tie in with front spoiler.No two way tape required.

Old 08-06-2022, 11:05 AM

If you decide you need some added strength try 3M Dual Lock velcro, it's a lot stronger than regular velcro

Old 08-06-2022, 12:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I run fiberglass spoilers on my 71 and they dont have the two center studs that go through the fender. They fit pretty good. Could be a little better, but they dont fit any worse than old original urethane spoilers.

They're mounted with 3 screws in the wheel opening, and the large bolt that holds the lower part to the center spoiler. The car sees a few thousand miles a year, including lots of highway driving and even some passes down the track. They've never moved.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National