THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 07-28-2022, 09:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I looked at picture closer. I would think as you started the lift, things wouldn't be perfect so those bricks would slide or 'roll'. Carried a 428 and 455 short block out of junkyard. Couldnt get a crane in to tight. Took heads and intake off then 2 of us lifted it out of the car. The good old days.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sdbob For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2022, 10:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Probably the sketchiest engine lifting rig I used is one that I made from necessity. I made up an A frame from pipe, that we used to take to the yards that we would carry to the car put both sticks on the ground, leaning over the car. Then run a chain to keep it upright at an angle, and connect it to either our truck, or another car in the yard. Then carry in a chain fall, and put it in the apex of the A frame to lift the engine out. You had to pull the A frame with the chain, and be careful not to go past center, and end up with everything on the ground. Fortunately we never went past center when using it to pull an engine.

You had to be careful to get the engine over the core support, and then lower it while turning it sideways. It was crude, but it worked for a car that you couldn't get a wrecker to. If we were loading it in the truck we'd use another chain to tilt it past center and set it on the back of the bed. Or we'd set the engine on an old tire and drag the tire and engine out with a chain hooked to the truck, then set up the A frame again to load it into the truck. If I had to do that today, it would probably take me 2 days to do it.....LOL Back then (1976) a friend, and myself would pull the engine in a few hours, and be on our way.

Back then the guy that sponsored my race car would give us an engine out of his yard, but we had to get it out, and loaded by ourselves. He probably just wanted to see us struggle.........

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 07-29-2022, 08:06 AM
Senior Chief

Prior to our purchasing of an engine hoist in the late 80s, our lifting method consisted of a fairly inebriated neighbor with a front loader on his tractor.

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Anonymous For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2022, 09:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Productive teen era was made crazy by engine hoist rentals that had to be return by 5 pm the same day.

Bought the PAW hoist for ~$250 ~age 17'and still have it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Half-Inch Stud For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2022, 11:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

No big deal.
Used 6" thick tree limb with chain fall in 80s. Didn't even move it.
In 90s 2 4x4s vertically wedged on both sides of car under doubled up 2X8 joist beam in garage.
Bought engine lift in 2000? Used 2-3 times. Went back to old system. Easier and faster pushing car back vs wrestling lift with engine dangling around.

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100

Last edited by Region Warrior; 07-29-2022 at 11:20 AM.
Old 07-29-2022, 11:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Mike, like you I don't like engine cranes, and van engines are about the only time I ever have cause to use one. I usually borrow one for a van, never owned one myself.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 07-29-2022, 12:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You're not going to break a stout hardwood limb with an engine. I never thought twice about it back when l would do that. You could probably damn near lift the car.

Old 07-29-2022, 12:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just looked closer...Didnt notice cribbing...OMG!

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 08-03-2022, 11:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Back in the day...

We pulled engines many times when we were young and only owned basic hand tools.
Remove the trans, all the accessories and the cylinder heads so you are left with the short block.
Attach a length of chain to the short block using a couple of head bolts.
Slip a driveshaft through the chain.
Drink a few beers.
One person on each end of the driveshaft to evenly lift it up and over the front of the car.
Set it down on a tire.
Finish the six pack.
I could never do that today.