Old 07-26-2022, 04:53 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakesupremo View Post
Thanks again for the replys. I definitely don't have all that you have shown dmorg1. Thats probably where the issue lies I have no retainer or even the rubber boot type thing!!!!
The boot is not so important but the retainer absolutely is. Without the retainer there is a possibility of the pushrod dropping out and that would put you in a very bad predicament.

Likely the correct retainer and pushrod will get you straightened out.

Ames part numbers FR213 KA, FR231 KB, FR215 KA, if you can't source them local.

79 Firebird
Old 07-26-2022, 04:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

wakesupremo, can you post some pics under there?

I know mp brakes had it right, my error, I have the 1" mc and I bought the complete kit, components for the manual system. pretty much just the pushrod.

no retainer or boot items, the picture of components looks like what I removed from the power brake set up.

Just looked at mine to be certain, my pushrod gos into the deep hole in the mc, then clevis to the pedal. after adjustment, its not coming out. no boot or retainer.

not doubting anyones expertise just following closely here. sometimes one small bit of input helps.

(for me i think my mc is bad) everything else looks good) pics r not to good may or may not be helpfull

correct me if i'm wrong here please do. same set up on my 69 gto. pushrod is in deep holed manual mc, after all adjustments, its not coming out period unless you dis connect the clevis.

Last edited by JUDGE3; 12-20-2023 at 10:55 AM.
Old 07-26-2022, 05:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

my kit came with just the pushrod and boot.

I dont have the boot on because I wanted to see everything as I was working on it. might put it on later.

so I just realized also, on mine it had/has a small bracket that reaches out to "make" the brake light switch. after converting to manual the original bracket would not work, I fabbed a bracket similar to the original. manual brake original bracket obviously was different.

does your car have a bracket for the switch?

Old 07-27-2022, 01:33 AM

Thanks again. My pushrod definitely can't come out so theres no issue there. As to putting pics up, I can take pics on my phone but don't know how to put them up. My light switch is on a bracket. There are 2 holes for the switch which, previously, I didn't realise. Now that im in the top hole the switch works but the issue is still the pedal return. I have totally re done all the brake lines last night but still havent bled them again. I will update once ive done that.Thanks again for the replys.

Old 07-27-2022, 07:06 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUDGE3 View Post
wakesupremo, can you post some pics under there?

I know mp brakes had it right, my error, I have the 1" mc and I bought the complete kit, components for the manual system. pretty much just the pushrod.

no retainer or boot items, the picture of components looks like what I removed from the power brake set up.

Just looked at mine to be certain, my pushrod gos into the deep hole in the mc, then clevis to the pedal. after adjustment, its not coming out. no boot or retainer.

not doubting anyones expertise just following closely here. sometimes one small bit of input helps.

(for me i think my mc is bad) everything else looks good) pics r not to good may or may not be helpfull

correct me if i'm wrong here please do. same set up on my 69 gto. pushrod is in deep holed manual mc, after all adjustments, its not coming out period unless you dis connect the clevis.

Judge3,

Thanks for posting the pic of the pushrod. I have not seen that type before and it adds clarity to the situation. The aftermarket is clearly different than the OEM. No flange end on it, so the retainer would be of no use with it.

The aftermarket is relying on the deep hole in the MC piston to keep the pushrod in place while Pontiac used the flange on the pushrod and a retainer to keep it in place.

Judge3,

I am curious as to the aftermarket adjustment procedure. Can you post up the aftermarket instructions for making the adjustment?

Also curious of your pedal height.

I may be missing something here but,

What I am not seeing in the aftermarket setup is a positive mechanical means to keep the pushrod in close proximity to the piston. It appears that they are relying on the brake light switch to act as a pedal stop in order to keep the pushrod from walking away from the piston.

And yes, every small bit of information helps.

Dave

79 Firebird

Last edited by dmorg1; 07-27-2022 at 07:12 AM.
Old 07-27-2022, 08:54 AM
Senior Chief

There's been more than one racecar destroyed from the pushrod falling out, please make sure everything is assembled correctly.

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan
Old 07-27-2022, 07:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Manual brake

Dmorg1, glad you asked about the instructions. its been awhile since my install, I followed all the instructions exactly on the pushrod install, cutting it etc. however I did put a new proportioning valve on and did not bleed the mc and p-valve together as the instructions show. i'm going to do that. gonna take a couple post for all the pics and some not to good, measured pedal height, no carpet in my car yet and was not sure of angle you were interested in.

anyhoot, interesting beings by my age figured i knew all there is to know about a brake system. always something to learn.

(being a retired aircraft flight inspector, safety is beyond fanatical with me. that pushrod has zero chance of coming out believe me. )

The Following User Says Thank You to JUDGE3 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2022, 07:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default pedal height?

5 1/2" floor to straight up bottom of pedal (no carpet installed)

angled from back looks like around 6" to top of pedal.

hard to see in the 2 pictures but its 2 1/2" of "bare" pushrod showing from firewall to clevis. I can't recall how far in the mc hole it gos but its deep.

Old 07-27-2022, 07:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default brake switch

yes, the only return stop is the brake switch. there was no rubber bump pad there, as I believe some cars have?

note the pedal height feels as normal when seated.

Old 07-28-2022, 06:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Anonymous View Post
There's been more than one racecar destroyed from the pushrod falling out, please make sure everything is assembled correctly.
Just saw a video the other day where he snapped his foot off the brake pedal and then at the other end of the 1/4 mile he had no brakes. Popped the pushrod right out of the MC because there was not pedal retention or stop. Luckily he just plowed up a bunch of sand at the other end.

Old 07-28-2022, 07:14 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUDGE3 View Post
Dmorg1, glad you asked about the instructions. its been awhile since my install, I followed all the instructions exactly on the pushrod install, cutting it etc. however I did put a new proportioning valve on and did not bleed the mc and p-valve together as the instructions show. i'm going to do that. gonna take a couple post for all the pics and some not to good, measured pedal height, no carpet in my car yet and was not sure of angle you were interested in.

anyhoot, interesting beings by my age figured i knew all there is to know about a brake system. always something to learn.

(being a retired aircraft flight inspector, safety is beyond fanatical with me. that pushrod has zero chance of coming out believe me. )

Judge3,

Thanks for taking the time to post up the aftermarket instructions. I now see how they are arriving at the pushrod length and clearance for various applications.

I was curious about the pedal height possibly being too high or too low but now that I see the pushrod must be cut to suit the application the pedal height will end up being very close to the factory spec.

Wakesupremo,

Disregard my previous posts on pushrod adjustment as that procedure will only work with the factory style pushrod and retainer.

I believe that if you follow the instructions that Judge 3 posted you will be able to get the pushrod adjusted correctly.

If you find that deep hole MC is actually bad after fitting the pushrod as per the aftermarket instructions ("the issue is still the pedal return") you can always swap back to the shallow hole MC but the factory style pushrod and retainer must be used.

Dave

79 Firebird
Old 07-28-2022, 07:33 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott70 View Post
Just saw a video the other day where he snapped his foot off the brake pedal and then at the other end of the 1/4 mile he had no brakes. Popped the pushrod right out of the MC because there was not pedal retention or stop. Luckily he just plowed up a bunch of sand at the other end.
Unexpected things do happen.

What makes the factory setup superior is that there is no pedal stop required. Even with the pedal removed the pushrod can not fall or be pulled from the MC.

Dave

79 Firebird
Old 07-28-2022, 10:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

a mechanical stop as the failsafe definitely needed especially if you're not 100% certain of the correct install.

Old 07-28-2022, 11:41 AM

Thanks again for all the help on this. I have now diss assembled everything again and, dmorg1 was correct. There was an issue with pushrod binding somewhere inside the M/C. I have given it a bit of a bench grind. The pedal now goes back another 1 1/2" . I have extended the pushrod so I have a tiny amount of freeplay and!!! I have brakes!!! Thanks again all.