THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Water de-ionizers for washing cars.

All,

I was looking at this water de-ionizer from Costco for washing my cars.

Fortunately, I did a little bit of research. I learned (from the CR website) that this unit will yield 300 gallons before it's filter needs to be replaced. (at $90 a pop.)

Is there a cheaper way? I'm just getting tired of the "race" to dry the car before it spots. (particularly with my wife's SUV.)

Thanks, Chris.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I gave up washing my cars at home because of water spots and just go to a "Touch free" car wash in town. $6.75 for the works. Not perfect but no spots ether.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 08-18-2014, 09:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

spot wash her/it.Do it in the garage,no mess.

Old 08-19-2014, 12:17 AM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRR View Post
I gave up washing my cars at home because of water spots and just go to a "Touch free" car wash in town. $6.75 for the works. Not perfect but no spots ether.
$19.95 a month for unlimited washes here. I consider that the deal of the century.

Old 08-19-2014, 01:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have found and used the Mr.Clean wash kit.
found on e-bay.......loved it......the ionizer was great watching the little beads of water on the car.

Old 08-19-2014, 06:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Water spots come from hard water. I plumbed a softened hot and cold water line into my garage for use when washing cars when I built my home.

Based on the location of my attached garage to my utility room in the basement all it took was a bout 5' of pipe and two hose spigots.

Old 08-19-2014, 07:27 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRR View Post
Keep the car wet while your washing and dry with a towel, no spots. My car is black and as long as I do this it comes out great.

Old 08-19-2014, 12:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris65LeMans View Post
All,

I was looking at this water de-ionizer from Costco for washing my cars.

Fortunately, I did a little bit of research. I learned (from the CR website) that this unit will yield 300 gallons before it's filter needs to be replaced. (at $90 a pop.)

Is there a cheaper way? I'm just getting tired of the "race" to dry the car before it spots. (particularly with my wife's SUV.)

Thanks, Chris.
have you looked over at Autogeek?

those guys are really good at answering questions, that is where I got the info for the buffer I got

68 Firebird 400, YC 400, Hbeam rods, ported 670 heads (2.11i, 1.77e valves), 1.65 RRs, Torker 2 intake, Nodular Crank, Eaton Limited Slip, Richmond 3.55 gears, M-20 M4
97 Trans Am WS6, LT1, M6, FLP LTs, Cutouts, Flowmaster catback, Jet Airfoil, K&N air filter, MSD Opti and Coil
14 Fiat 500e 83kW motor, 24kWh lithium ion battery, +2 sized summer tires
Old 08-19-2014, 05:44 PM
Senior Chief

I just take a few drops of dish soap in a bucket of water in wich I dipp and squeese my buff (shammy leather?). Just keep the whole car wett untill you're finished washing it.

Old 08-19-2014, 07:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Always wash in the shade and I use one of those silicone water blade squeegees made just for cars. It gets 90% of the water off with one swipe but only on flat or gently contour surfaces.

Old 08-19-2014, 09:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm probably opening up a hornets nest but I use Meguiars Ultimate wash and wax for all my vehicles and that includes my 67 GTO. I do use the two bucket method mentioned in the following article.
http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-ultimate-wash-wax.html

Old 08-19-2014, 11:17 PM
Senior Chief

+1 on the two bucket method and keeping the car wet until you dry.

Two more helpful hints: 1) take the nozzle off your hose and let the rinse water sheet over your car panels - this tends to minimize water beads sitting and causing spots and 2) use Meguiars quick detail spray (or similar) and spray it on the wet car prior to drying off with micro fiber towel. It helps reduce water spots prior to towel drying and also helps maintain your wax job for longer.

Old 08-20-2014, 02:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
I just take a few drops of dish soap in a bucket of water in wich I dipp and squeese my buff (shammy leather?). Just keep the whole car wett untill you're finished washing it.
Oooh - don't ever use dish soap. Just like it's bad news on caked-on grease; it's bad news for your paint, too.

I guess there is no short-cut from the de-ionizers. I'm already using all the "pro" techniques mentioned - although I still use a chamois like the old days to dry. I pull the cars into the shaded garage to dry; haven't had a problem with spots, but it would be nice not to have to work so fast.

Last edited by Chris65LeMans; 08-20-2014 at 02:50 AM.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:29 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Sorry can't help you never wash this old heap. Yes that a 63 LeMans I parted out many years ago. Let the hate begin. Sorry?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan0011.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	373759  

Old 08-20-2014, 09:35 AM

wash in shade,use leaf blower to get 98% water off plus it gets water from behind chrome,mist with detail spray and chamois off.for a drying towel i use one from adams polish

Old 08-20-2014, 02:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris65LeMans View Post
Oooh - don't ever use dish soap. Just like it's bad news on caked-on grease; it's bad news for your paint, too.

I guess there is no short-cut from the de-ionizers. I'm already using all the "pro" techniques mentioned - although I still use a chamois like the old days to dry. I pull the cars into the shaded garage to dry; haven't had a problem with spots, but it would be nice not to have to work so fast.
I always thought the same thing about dish soap too, but its an old wives tale.

Pro's use it to strip wax before they do polishing

68 Firebird 400, YC 400, Hbeam rods, ported 670 heads (2.11i, 1.77e valves), 1.65 RRs, Torker 2 intake, Nodular Crank, Eaton Limited Slip, Richmond 3.55 gears, M-20 M4
97 Trans Am WS6, LT1, M6, FLP LTs, Cutouts, Flowmaster catback, Jet Airfoil, K&N air filter, MSD Opti and Coil
Old 08-20-2014, 03:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here in Texas you can wash your car with no spots as long as you dry it
quickly and don't let the water sit and sit on the paint. When I took my GTO to the
California POCI convention in 2006, I washed my car right before the popular vote show
was to start to get rid of the grime from driving it around the three previous days, and
was amazed to discover nobody was using the car wash hose setup at the host hotel. Usually there is a big crowd at the car wash on Saturday morning. I washed my car in the shade and dried it immediately and was shocked to find mineral deposits all over the car,
including the stripe decals and the glass. That's when I realized why nobody was at the car wash, the locals all knew better than to use that hose! It took me months to polish all the deposits off the car....what a mess!

Old 08-20-2014, 04:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtohurstjudge View Post
Here in Texas you can wash your car with no spots as long as you dry it
quickly and don't let the water sit and sit on the paint. When I took my GTO to the
California POCI convention in 2006, I washed my car right before the popular vote show
was to start to get rid of the grime from driving it around the three previous days, and
was amazed to discover nobody was using the car wash hose setup at the host hotel. Usually there is a big crowd at the car wash on Saturday morning. I washed my car in the shade and dried it immediately and was shocked to find mineral deposits all over the car,
including the stripe decals and the glass. That's when I realized why nobody was at the car wash, the locals all knew better than to use that hose! It took me months to polish all the deposits off the car....what a mess!
it really depends where, in West Texas, the water is usually pretty hard, and spots are easy to get.

I usually add some white vinegar to the water I am washing the car with to balance the PH

Old 08-20-2014, 10:46 PM
Suspended

Lightbulb

Watch your vehicle next time it goes down your local car wash line.
Q: What do you see near the end of the line?
A: High Velocity Air Dryers!

Often when hand washing our vehicles I keep them wet, as mentioned, use a window squeegee on the glass, and our Electric 180mph forced air TORO blower/vac from top to bottom. That's right - A Leaf Blower!
Works like a charm and sure is cheaper than those "Portable Car Detail Blowers" sold through Cal Car Cover, et al.

Two bucket method for sure.