THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 09-09-2022, 03:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzbk2l View Post
Sounds like a bit of a hodge-podge of laws there, but the registration fees are nice.

In emissions areas of AZ now, you can be exempt by having classic car insurance (I have Hagerty). Still get to have regular plates and drive whenever/wherever I want, but I'm emissions exempt and my 5-year tags cost in the $60 range.
Yeah, the last year or two I was in AZ I took advantage of the classic car insurance option.

66 GTO convertible 389/4 speed (parents bought new)
73 Firebird Formula 400/4 speed
74 GTO 455/4 speed
74 Grand Am
Old 09-09-2022, 03:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Just renewed

I just renewed the registration for my 67 GTO, no smog or inspection but the price went up again to $139.00. California can always make up reasons for why the vehicle registration has to increase.
I have gotten letters from the state saying they would pay me if I got rid of this OLD Car. Nope!!!!

#13 Heads -J069
Q'Jet .
8.2 Eaton Posi/3:55

Old 09-10-2022, 12:05 AM

Before I moved out of commiefornia in early 2020, registration for my 1984 Toyota pickup was $144. I'd hate to see the registration on a new car, especially with the sale price of something north of $75K.

I got notices for over 20 years from those bastards wanting to crush my truck. 17 HC, .01 CO, 21 NOX. Yeah, such a gross polluter

Now, I don't have to smog and registration is $34 for 2 years. F- You Cali!

The Following User Says Thank You to 59safaricat For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2022, 07:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59safaricat View Post
Before I moved out of commiefornia in early 2020, registration for my 1984 Toyota pickup was $144. I'd hate to see the registration on a new car, especially with the sale price of something north of $75K.

I got notices for over 20 years from those bastards wanting to crush my truck. 17 HC, .01 CO, 21 NOX. Yeah, such a gross polluter

Now, I don't have to smog and registration is $34 for 2 years. F- You Cali!
More people need to vote with their feet. It's the only chance of making it change.

Old 09-10-2022, 08:01 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default NJ

Classic plates for the Firebird one-time fee, with free renewal. no inspections and use hagerty for insurance.

They do chg 75 for my daily driver 1996 dodge ram 1500. I have paid more in registration and insurance then it cost when I bought it new in 1996.

Did anyone else with Hagerty see a brochure about buying carbon credits to offset classic
car footprint. There was a brochure in with my last renewal.

Gerry

1968 Firebird 400, 068 cam, TH400 & 13" Continental Converter, Auburn posi with 3:08 factory gears, Cliff's Q-jet resting on a 68 factory iron intake, DUI HEI and Ram Air pans and RARE Long Branch Manifolds
Old 09-10-2022, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 Canamman View Post
PA: One time historical vehicle fee, then zero renewals or inspections for as long as you own the vehicle.
I'm pretty sure that the above only applies if you register for an antique plate, which is "supposed" to limit your use of the vehicle. PA also has "classic" plates which still require an annual safety inspection, but not an emissions inspection.

Old 09-10-2022, 11:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72projectbird View Post
It's $35 here now.

They only check emissions through the OBD2 port. If they plug it in and see no CELs for emission related systems, you're good. They dont do any visual inspection. Plus I think after a vehicle hits a certain age they wont fail it for emissions.

For example, my GMC Sierra is my daily, and I have long tube headers, no cats, no egr, and no coffee can/purge valve. Still passes inspection no problem. And it's not that old.
From what I heard from my brother and father who are still in MA the inspection stations have camera's that inspect the underside of the car.