Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 04-23-2014, 08:04 AM

Default Brake Booster and Master Cylinder help

I have a question concerning replacement of the Master Cylinder and Booster in my 74 FB. Will an NOS unit from a 78-81 Camaro work? I have no numbers on it. Another one I found is a NOS Booster for 71-74 GM brands. Stated to work on A, X and F body cars.

Would a rebuild of my master cylinder be a better option and just buy the NOS booster?

My master cylinder is full of fluid but when I ride the brakes to come to a gradual stop, the pedal goes away and I have to release and pump them. This just started a week ago when I took it out for a run. Probably a good idea to replace the 40 year old parts.

Any help would be great.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If the booster works why replace it? As for the master cylinder, you can rebuild yours if the bore is not pitted. Just hone it and install the replacement parts. If pitted it can be sleeved but why bother. Just replace it.

Old 05-04-2014, 05:18 AM
Suspended

many restoration services out there

Old 05-09-2014, 08:28 AM

I found 1 of the rear wheel cylinders was leaking. I replaced both and bled the complete system. Going to get a couple other things done and give it a shot. I hope that was the problem. If not, then back to the booster or master cylinder. Thanks for the advice.