Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 03-30-2002, 03:30 PM
Senior Chief

I WOULD APPRECIATE SOME ADVICE ON WHICH DITRIBUTOR TO RUN IN MY 408 THE MSD PRO BILLET,OR A MALLORY UNILITE?IS IT POSSIBLE TO RUN A MALLORY DITRIBUTOR W/A MSD 6AL BOX?? THANKS ALOT FOR ANY HELP .

Old 03-30-2002, 03:30 PM
Senior Chief

I WOULD APPRECIATE SOME ADVICE ON WHICH DITRIBUTOR TO RUN IN MY 408 THE MSD PRO BILLET,OR A MALLORY UNILITE?IS IT POSSIBLE TO RUN A MALLORY DITRIBUTOR W/A MSD 6AL BOX?? THANKS ALOT FOR ANY HELP .

Old 03-30-2002, 03:48 PM
On Vacation

I like the MSD unit. Never tried anything else. From what some guys say, it makes no difference, but I like the looks and proven performance that the MSD has behind it.

Ever race at NED?

Old 03-30-2002, 03:50 PM
Senior Chief

THANKS GOATMAN,AND YES I RACE AT NED ALMOST EVERY WEDNESDAY AND FRIDAY NIGHT.WHAT ABOUT YOU?,MAYBE ILL SEE YOU THERE.

Old 03-30-2002, 04:34 PM
On Vacation

I'll be there a little bit this year. I will run the Quik Street event a couple of times at least. Not my favorite track to say the least, but it is the closest.

Old 03-31-2002, 05:32 PM
Senior Chief

Does anyone else know if this can be done?Which distributor is better the MSD or the Unilite??Thanks 4 any info ..Happy Easter Everyone..

Old 04-01-2002, 12:21 AM

Mallory has always been a good dist.But MSD is better, more ajustment.

Old 04-01-2002, 12:33 AM
Suspended

When your Mallory unilight light burns out and you find out how much it costs to replace it you will wish you got the MSD. The light is well known for burning out on the Mallory and the MSD has a magnetic pickup that is alot less apt to fail. If you want to buy the Mallory I have one that's hardly used You can have for 100.00. When the light fries don't come crying! And yes I have the balast resister with it.

Old 04-03-2002, 05:04 PM
Senior Chief

Does anyone else feel like shedding some light on this subject???? Thanks Alot..

Old 04-03-2002, 08:57 PM

Mr 406,

I agree with Garry regarding the Unilite. My buddy had his burn out and he had to throw his old points back in to get his car home. He called up Mallory tech and they basically told him any surge in the electrical system can fry the eye. They are about $80 to replace too. They said he could run a surge protector which they sold but still wouldn't guarantee it. He is looking to go MSD now because he doesn't trust the unilite anymore. I also know someone else who had the same problem in his rock crawling bronco.

I run a high milage stock HEI with lighter advance springs myself. I plan on going with a new blueprinted one or maybe MSD.

Old 04-04-2002, 10:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

First, Mallory makes a lot more than just Unilite. You can get dual points, Unilite, MBI (Magnetic Breakerless Ignition) or with the same magnetic pickup that MSD uses. The points, Unilite and MBI are available with or without vacuum advance and with standard size cap or the large C9000 cap. Because of the size of the pickup, the magnetic pickup version is only available with the C9000 cap. So, when you say Mallory, remember that Unilite is only one of four types of triggering devices available.
Second, points, Unilite and MBI distributors can all be used with or without an external box. A magnetic pickup distributor MUST be used with a box. Since there are no electronics in a magnetic pickup distributor, it is naturally less likely to fail, however, if your MSD, Mallory, Crane, Accel etc box fails, you are walking home since you can't run off the distributor alone. But then again, boxes never fail now do they? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
Third, all the Mallory housings are made from billet aluminum and have been for several years.
Fourth, Mallory distributors are supplied with a YH advance (and have been for five years) that is fully adjustable from zero (locked) to 28 degrees of distributor advance. The only tool you need to adjust the advance is a Torx driver.
Fifth, Mallory distributors (if vacuum advance type) have the same YH mechanical advance, plus a fully adjustable vacuum advance. What else would you like to be able to adjust?
Sixth, if you order a Mallory C9000 with the magnetic pickup (84 series)(same pickup as MSD) the heat treated shaft is supported by an upper ball bearing.
Seventh, while it is rare, magnetic pickups will fail. You can order a Mallory 81 series that has DUAL magnetic pickups so that you have a built-in backup.
Finally, all electronics can fail. I was once stranded in the New Mexico desert in my GTO Judge when my stock OEM module failed in the HEI distributor. A friend of mine was once stranded at my house when his MSD 6 box failed (he was running a magnetic pickup distributor and couldn't drive home on the distributor alone). I know Uniltes can fail but I have used six Unilite distributors in six different cars over the last eight years without a failure. And these were street driven (some daily including my current driver) cars. So I know that not all Unilites fail.
Just had to get that out there.

Old 04-04-2002, 11:02 PM

I had the same thing happen to my Mallory Unilight as well. I replaced it with a Mallory dual point and the engine ran great, I never had a problem with the dual point. I now run an MSD and like that as well, haven't had it long enough to make a real judgement on it, but so far, so good.

Old 04-05-2002, 08:36 AM
Senior Chief

Thats some good info Thanks.

Old 04-05-2002, 06:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Run away from the light! I have lost two, never again!