Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 03-21-2001, 03:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I need help with flow numbers on my D-ports. I have heard from various Pontiac guys and I have yet to get any concurrence on proper port shape. The only unanimous vote was leave the short side alone. From that point on I have conflicting info. My only question right now is: Do you square the floor up or not to get better flow? Thanks for any help, Eddy.

Old 03-21-2001, 03:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I need help with flow numbers on my D-ports. I have heard from various Pontiac guys and I have yet to get any concurrence on proper port shape. The only unanimous vote was leave the short side alone. From that point on I have conflicting info. My only question right now is: Do you square the floor up or not to get better flow? Thanks for any help, Eddy.

Old 03-21-2001, 11:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Gasket match,blend the floor & short side 1/2 way in.The long side would be blended all the way with the roof. The roof in the Valve Pocket is where it gets tricky.You want to remove as much material as possible without weakening the guide,going into a water-jacket or removing the swirl dam.This would be better explained visualy.

[This message has been edited by STripleduce (edited 03-21-2001).]

Old 03-22-2001, 12:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Get Pets's video, it's a great show and tell.

Tim Corcoran

Old 03-22-2001, 12:42 AM

Fasted,
The book called PONTIAC HIGH PERFORMANCE from H-O Racing Specialties,Inc gives a detailed cross sectioned diagram of how and what to remove in the intake and exhaust ports. Very easy to follow once you see it. If you can't get your hands on a copy , e-mail me and I'll scan it for you.

Bob Mullikin

Old 03-22-2001, 01:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have done some testing on this and what I have found is that is does not make a big difference. If the car is going to used on the street then I would not worry about it. But, if it is for the track the it is probable worth it. From what I have found when you do it, it helps out with the higher lift flow but does not seem to make a difference in the lower ranges. I am still testing this out so I could be wrong. As soon as I get my flow bench made i will find out for sure.

Old 03-25-2001, 07:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey guys, thanks for your helpful replies. We did what the Tripleduece said and gained 25 CFM on the intake and 12 on the exhaust. That suggestion of running the pattern halfway in on the floor and the short turn made the heads really happy. Thanks Duece and all, Eddy.

Old 03-25-2001, 07:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Good job "Fasteddy" & Oink1! What were the final flow #'s? How soon till engine assembly time?
P.S. Thanks for the help assembling my heads.
Phil

------------------
Too stubborn to do it the easy way. What else would I spend all my $ and time on?