Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 02-22-2001, 11:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Does anyony know of a good brand to use and is they any advice that I should know before installing one. What size lines should I use, is #12an big enough to use. Where is a place to but it on a Firebird. Should it be in the line going to the oil filters or in the line from the filters back to the block.

Old 02-22-2001, 11:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Does anyony know of a good brand to use and is they any advice that I should know before installing one. What size lines should I use, is #12an big enough to use. Where is a place to but it on a Firebird. Should it be in the line going to the oil filters or in the line from the filters back to the block.

Old 02-22-2001, 11:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Use an oil cooler thermostat. Best one I have seen is from Hayden. Permacool makes one too.
Number 10 lines are sufficient. One of the best oil coolers available is the Earls stacked plate coolers. They come in a wide variety of sizes, with a variety of AN sized hook ups.

Old 02-23-2001, 01:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What is an oil cooler thermostat?

Old 02-23-2001, 02:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The oil lines run from the block to the thermostat housing. A second set of lines run from the thermostat housing to the cooler. When cold, the thermostat directs 90% of the oil right back into the block (bypassing the cooler, thus allowing the oil to reach full temperature quickly...a good thing). As the oil warms up, the thermostat opens allowing more and more of the warmer oil to pass thru the cooler. This keeps you from overcooling the oil. The thermostat also helps minimize the pressure spikes the cooler will see, since there is always some amount of oil bypassing the cooler.

[This message has been edited by Tom McQueen (edited 02-23-2001).]

Old 02-23-2001, 04:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So I would want to put the filter first then T-stat then the oil cool, right. Does the T-stat restrict oil flow or is the inside of it big enough the it does not hurt flow.

Old 02-23-2001, 05:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Your hookup is correct. Filter first, then thermostat and cooler at the end. The passages in the Hayden thermostat are actually for #12 line. For normal use you step it down to a #10. I have no experience with the Permacool unit.

Old 03-11-2001, 12:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What about water to oil coolers. They look like they would be easier to package and the water would warm up the oil quicker.

Old 03-11-2001, 01:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have no experience with them. However, you are putting increased demand on your cooling system with this setup. Until its all hooked up, you really wont know if you have an overheating problem or not. You might need a larger radiator to handle the increased heat load.

Old 03-11-2001, 03:09 PM
Suspended

If you're on a budget, or are just cheap like me, pay a visit to your local hydraulic supplier. He can fabricate the necessary pressure lines for you for a mere fraction of the cost of braided lines.