Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 03-21-2001, 11:14 AM
On Vacation

Hmmm. Scott, good question.

Do the names Monitor and Merrimack ring a bell ??

Old 03-21-2001, 12:49 PM

check this out ... http://www.pontiacpower.com/kingstreet.htm

Old 03-21-2001, 12:54 PM
Suspended

Does the name "Quasimodo" ring a bell?

Old 03-21-2001, 01:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Does the name Pontiac **** ring a bell?

Old 03-21-2001, 02:54 PM
Senior Chief

After looking at the dyno sheet I have a question. Why does the oil pressure jump by 5.4 pounds when the nitrous hits at 4800?

Man, I hate commenting on this because I just know I am gonna get stomped, but I just don't see the purpose in pointing out that there are other brands that make more power for less $$$ on this board. How could anyone into pontiacs not know that?

I have a friend who popped for a 526" Hemi crate motor. Naaaasty street car. Way fun! It cost more than a Chevy too. He did it to be different. Same thing with me. I just don't find anything special about Chevies. I appreciate that they run good for low dollars, but _anybody_ can make one run. Big deal.

Old 03-21-2001, 04:21 PM

Gach, you are amazeing. I guess you just can not stand to see someone be sucessful. Granted you can probably make more horsepower cheaper with a bow tie,but who cares. I am truly thankful for the Butlers,Nunzie, the Kauffmans, the people at Indian adventuresand all the other pontiac people,encluding Fulper who in the last ten years have made the pontiac enthusiast able to compete in s/c s/stock, s/street or s/gas very easily. These people are extreamly dedicated to makeing a conventual pontiac engine competive again by spending lots of money and lots of time to come up with the parts we have needed to be competitive. If not for all these guys we would still be strugeling to get in to the nines, but instead you can build a 7 or 8 second car pretty easily. All of these engine builders shoud be commended for the things they have acomplished. I don't understand why you have such a problem with some one who is in busuness to make a prifit! I know that in my Optical busuness if I didn't make money I wouldn't be in business very long and I have survived by being competive and haveing a good product for 27 years. Just think of all the parts that are avalible now that we could have only dreamed about 10 years ago. What about the belt drive,tell me that isn't really slick. The Indian Adventures block despite what you think is an amazing piece, the Windsler and Edelbrock heads are fantastic,the rod and piston combinations, and yes the new cranks are just what we needed. If you would not be so jeleous of others you would be a lot happier person. Oh bye the way we will be fireing our new 505 Indian Adventures motor this weekend and will be at Heartland Park next weekend for testing. I think you will see some 7.50's out of this combination. Jim Brady

Old 03-21-2001, 04:46 PM
Suspended

A friend of mine built a Hemi for a customer's car.....

Consisting of all used Top Alcohol stuff (block, Stage IV heads, old 14.71, etc.), the car (a 3300# '70 Dart)went a 7.70 on its first trip.

Total engine investment? $8,000.

That sounds tempting, but remember that you'd have to use a Mopar unitbody POS to enjoy it in....

Old 03-21-2001, 05:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sez who, Scott? I'd enjoy that engine alot more in say....a '39-'41 Willy's coupe

Old 03-21-2001, 06:48 PM
On Vacation

LOL

I think I get the Pontiac **** one- LOL

But Quasimodo ??

I'm stumped- LOL

Old 03-21-2001, 07:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jeez, even I got "Quasimodo".....SANC-TU-ARY! SANC-TU-ARY !!! Get it?

Old 03-21-2001, 07:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Gach, I think you are a little off on your prices. You can call KRE and get a 833HP, 721FT-LBS, 504 cubic inch race motor (I think they would put it in a crate for you so you could call it a crate motor) starting at $14,000. It is complete carbs to pan and has all the good stuff. IA block, Wenzler heads, Moldex crank, GPR aluminum rods, Ross pistons, Custom sheet metal intake, Dual 850 Demon carbs, T&D shaft rockers, Comp roller cam and valve train, MSD. The reason they can make that HP with the chevy motor on pump gas is not just in the heads. Its in the cubic inches. Cubic inches can make up alot in a motor. KRE can make that HP with 128 less cubic inches. I wouldn't run my motor on pump gas but I made 725HP for under $9000.00. Pontiacs are closing the gaps on the Chevys. If you look at it the prices aren't that far off from each other anymore.

Old 03-21-2001, 07:35 PM
Senior Chief

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gach:
Your missing the whole point, no one offers a Pontiac motor making that kind of hp on pmup gas, Hell there not even making that kind of power with race gas.

Your talking 25,000.00 for a Pontiac motor that won't even come close to making 750 hp on pump gas for twice the price.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would have to disagree with you, somewhat, Gach. I am making very close to that HP with my factory block, Wenzler High Ports and I didn't spend more than that Chevy. I get my gas from the pump too. I am not trying to get into a pissing match with you but I think there are some factory block Pontiacs with cast cranks out there making even MORE horsepower than that Chevy...

Old 03-21-2001, 07:37 PM
Senior Chief

Actually I am making more horsepower than that Chevy, it does make a little more torque than mine. My motor is only a 462 too...quite small compered to todays monster mountain motors.

Old 03-21-2001, 08:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Blah blah blah Chevies are cheaper blah blah, Pontiacs are closing the gap, blah blah hemi, blah 750 horsepower blah blah. 32 responses and counting. Who the f^%k cares how much a Chevy costs?

Meanwhile the majority of real tech questions about PONTIAC engines get 0-3 responses on this board. No wonder Chevies are faster.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 03-21-2001).]

Old 03-21-2001, 08:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

3 years.....925 to 950 hp. Stock block. over 3600lbs and over 300 passes. Street legal. Low compression. Cost less then $8000 complete. Mid to low 9 second 1/4 mile passes. Dependability. Horsepower. Cost. Chevy eater, Ford eater and anything that runs on pump gas with a street tire and registered.
Next project: Blown, injected, alcohol fed with Nitrous Pontiac engine in the Nostalgia Funny Car. Mid 7's (Hopefully for Norwalk, you paying attention ED?, Hahahahaha)with the same "Dependability". Cost: A lot cheaper then Chevy with more fun.
Wheels in the air, trying to get there.
Blah, Blah, Blah. Yada, Yada, Yada
Next point Gach.
When a Fast ChevyFord beats another Fast Chevy/Ford, what's the point. Now when a Pontiac beats a Fast Chevy or Ford, heads turn and people talk.
BTW: Should have the new shortblock together next week for testing. So the Chevy Powered Dude with the T/A in Texas for the Southern Nats better get his money right!!!!! I take no prisoners and if I talk the talk, I'll walk the walk!!!!!!!!

------------------
NOS is like American Express.....You don't leave home without it.
http://www.angelfire.com/fl4/pontiacdude428

Old 03-21-2001, 09:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I went to Kauffmans web site, and price every thing out, just to make a compearsion. There's no price mention on the Super Cheif heads, but the Wenzler high ports are there for 4200.00, so I doubt the super cheif would go for any less, in fact my figure of fully ported super chiefs for around 6000.00, is probably closer. I doubt your going to get a head that flows 400 cfm, for 4200.00. I
just wanted to compear prices for a complete motor, compearing to the 632 cid. With tax and shipping, it came to 19,000.00. For a complete Dyno motor. Just about 4000.00 more. That's not adding what the Super Chief heads would cost over and above the Wenzler High port heads cost, and even then your getting a head, that only flows 365 cfm. Then you'd have to add, all the little extar's for running the tall deck block, to get up to that 609 advertize cid, not even close to 632
cid.

Block .................................. 3695.00
Moldex crank ............................... 2000.00
Rods GRP ...............................900.00
Pistons ............................... 650.00
Rings ...............................135.00
Main bearings ............................. 75.00
Rod bearings ............................. 45.00
Gasket set ............................. 65.00
Wenzler High
port heads
Heads ............................ 4200.00
Cam ............................ 270.00
Roll rockers ............................ 295.00
Shaft rockers................ 900.00
Push rods ...................135.00
Roller lifters .................320.00
Victor intake ............... 295.00
Cam bearings ............ 20.00
Oil pump .................. .45.00
Oil pump shaft ............. 18.00
Oil pan .................600.00
Head studs ................ 100.00
Engine bolt kit.................38.00
SFI Damper ...................295.00
Rear Main seal................. 30.00
Flex plate ................75.00
Valve covers ................ 295.00
Meziere billet
alum water pump ...............285.00
Full day Dyno ..............350.00
Distributor ................ 275.00
Valley pan ................. 35.00
Timming gear
Set ..............80.00
Intake port
work ................200.00
Engine assembly ..............500.00

Total with tax..... 18,426.00

Old 03-21-2001, 09:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dude, your exactly right, that's why I'm going with the bottle, I know I can go over that 750 hp mark with no problem, in fact I can come closer to 950 hp mark. After seening what you have done with the bottle, and still having dependabilty I'm convence it's the only way to go. Pretty cheap, for the price of a set of heads, and aluminum rods, I can get there, and still be able to take the wife out to dinner, once in a while.

Old 03-21-2001, 09:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Awwwww Gawd, can we end this right now?! Close the thread!!!

Old 03-21-2001, 09:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

Nice job on the pricing Gach.
However you left out the most important part..

Everything you said... +
Beating a high dollar ford/Chebby... Priceless!

Old 03-21-2001, 09:55 PM
Suspended

Gach: If you think Pontiac stuff is expensive, ask those '09 Chevy guys how much it costs to run a Lamar Walden-built '09 motor putting out 750 hp.

If THAT doesn't stun you, ask the Ford Flathead guys the cost of running one of THOSE things over 750 hp.

If you're STILL not convinced, ask the Hudson Hornet Twin-H Power guys how much it costs to get an inline Hudson motor to do 750.

But I'll guarantee you that if you asked each of those guys to drop what they're doing and run a BBC, you'd meet with the same responses you've encountered here.

"F" Jerry Bull.