Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 03-25-2001, 09:51 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to PMD428

I was wondering if you can take a TRW or Sealed Power pistion and convert it into a floating style. Does this cost alot to do?
and if possible who does this kind of work?

Thanks
Tom

Old 03-25-2001, 09:51 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to PMD428

I was wondering if you can take a TRW or Sealed Power pistion and convert it into a floating style. Does this cost alot to do?
and if possible who does this kind of work?

Thanks
Tom

Old 03-26-2001, 12:00 AM

Tom,

It is possible to modify a TRW or Sealed Power (they were made from the same piston forging blank) forged piston to accept the locking rings necessary for a full floating piston pin. You would also have to use a shortened pin, or a special order pin, and the connecting rods would have to be modified with a bushing for to allow the full floating set-up.

This is not really necessary for the street if the proper clearances are used during the assembly, and the pin does not fit too tight in the piston boss. There are plusses and minuses for the procedure. The plusses: a little additional insurance against the pin seizing in the piston (if the fit is just a little too snug to start). It is easier to disassemble the piston/rod assembly for periodic teardowns. Negatives: Cost, and you have additional components, which could fail during extended use (the lock rings). The lock rings rarely fail, so that is really a negligible consideration.

Hope this helps.

K.

Old 03-26-2001, 04:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I would want to add up the costs of everything GP-K mentioned (pins, bushing the rods, modifying the pistons) and see if it doesn't compare to the cost of pistons that are setup for full-float already.

Or is this one of those deals where you stumbled into a set of pistons for cheap and just want to know if you can make them work?

-Will

Old 03-26-2001, 04:46 PM

I just got finished doing the same thing you mentioned. It was very expensive to go that route and you still have a TWR piston. I would just buy a good set of pistons.