Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 03-13-2001, 08:13 PM

I am going to start cutting open my filters for inspection and I have a couple questions.
1. Does anyone make a tool designed to cut them open.
2. What should or should I not be looking for? Obviously no chunks of metal, but there will be some minor particles in there.

Let the debate begin..................

------------------

Old 03-13-2001, 08:13 PM

I am going to start cutting open my filters for inspection and I have a couple questions.
1. Does anyone make a tool designed to cut them open.
2. What should or should I not be looking for? Obviously no chunks of metal, but there will be some minor particles in there.

Let the debate begin..................

------------------

Old 03-13-2001, 11:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You can find the cutters in Summit and Jeg's catalogs.

Old 03-14-2001, 08:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I can't say for sure, but on an engine with a few thousand miles on it, I wouldn't expect to find much of anything in the filter. The only "wear" that should be occuring would be the cylinder walls/rings and that should be a very slow, gradual process. Once an engine's broken in, the sharp edges in the cylinders and on the cam lobes & rocker tips have all been worn smooth and these parts should be working well together. I'd use a magnet on anything you do find. If it sticks to the magnet, then it's likely just your cylinders wearing, but if it doesn't stick, then it's bearing material and I'd start to worry. Theoretically, bearings with adequate oil supply should never wear out. I can say that I've torn down a lot of high mileage engines and the bearings were still in great shape, but the cylinders were all worn out.

Old 03-14-2001, 09:07 PM

Thanks for the replies. The motor is just broken in. The first two times I found some small particles but nothing major. I changed the oil and filter after the initial break in and after about 250 miles before I went to the track. I want to say the majority came from the bronze distributor gear, but the particles did not seme to be bronze in color.

------------------
BEWARE OF THE BLACK TRANS AM