Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 03-20-2001, 05:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What's the largest diameter valvesprings you can run on a Pontiac D-port head before you run into problems? How big of a diameter can you go before you have to start worrying about rocker arm clearance?

What manufacturer's springs do you guys with roller cams like to use? Can you provide contact info for these companies?

I've looked at Comp and Crane's selections and they seem somewhat limited. Am interested in what companies like K-Motion and Vascojet have to offer, or any other suggestions for good roller cam springs.

thanks!
-Will

Old 03-20-2001, 05:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What's the largest diameter valvesprings you can run on a Pontiac D-port head before you run into problems? How big of a diameter can you go before you have to start worrying about rocker arm clearance?

What manufacturer's springs do you guys with roller cams like to use? Can you provide contact info for these companies?

I've looked at Comp and Crane's selections and they seem somewhat limited. Am interested in what companies like K-Motion and Vascojet have to offer, or any other suggestions for good roller cam springs.

thanks!
-Will

Old 03-20-2001, 11:45 PM

Will,
These websites have a lot of useful information on valve springs. www.racesearch.com,www.iskycams.com,www.crower.com or K-Motion @ 800-428-7891 in
Lafayette, In.
As far as diameter goes, I have relatively small diameter springs @ 1.550" OD. They have good clearance and still have over 600lbs. @ 1.30". Hope this helps.

Old 03-21-2001, 03:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Bob, thanks VERY much for the info.

At 1.3", how far are your valves open? I don't think I'm going to be needing that kind of pressure...

After this year, I MIGHT go to a different cam or may just upgrade the springs. In any case, I'd like to find something that can handle .640" lift at a 1.75" installed height. Hoping that such a spring exists as obtaining more installed height makes things really expensive, and frankly not worth it. Don't know how much pressure would be needed for that much lift either...

Thanks again,
-Will

Old 03-21-2001, 09:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Comp Cams pacaloy springs. 3rd year same roller springs. Always Titanium retainers. Cut the pockets to get the tallest spring you can run. I'll notch the rocker if I need more clearance.

------------------
NOS is like American Express.....You don't leave home without it.
http://www.angelfire.com/fl4/pontiacdude428

[This message has been edited by PONTIAC DUDE (edited 03-21-2001).]

Old 03-22-2001, 12:20 AM

Will,
In my opinion it would be best/cheapest to consult with the manufacturer for the cam you decide to use. There are a lot of factors that come into play when it comes to choosing valve springs.
Which ever type of cam you use , go with Pontiac Dude's suggestion and get the lightest/strongest hardware available. It's going to sting the wallet but with the manufacturers recommendations you should end up with a combination that last.