Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 03-18-2001, 05:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Heard something about a electric type of vacuum pump (to convert for crankcase pressure usage). Corvette? Any info? Also interested in Wet sump type settings? Also with 14 different brands, companies, units, etc. who has tests on the best or easiest unit... belt or electric type.

------------------
NOS is like American Express.....You don't leave home without it.
http://www.angelfire.com/fl4/pontiacdude428

Old 03-18-2001, 05:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Heard something about a electric type of vacuum pump (to convert for crankcase pressure usage). Corvette? Any info? Also interested in Wet sump type settings? Also with 14 different brands, companies, units, etc. who has tests on the best or easiest unit... belt or electric type.

------------------
NOS is like American Express.....You don't leave home without it.
http://www.angelfire.com/fl4/pontiacdude428

Old 03-18-2001, 07:34 PM
Suspended

Brian Baker uses the "Austin Powers" brand.

Old 03-18-2001, 07:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The Moroso pump is the way to go. I tried the electric pump, it sucks 20 amps and barely makes vacuum. The Ford SVO crankcase evac pump is a good piece and (kinda)inexpensive, but I have had 2 of them lock up. It's also a challenge to come up with mounting brackets for it. I tried a brand new Aerospace Components vacuum pump on KRE's dyno just last weekend. Well, I sent it back to them, it's either defective or a real piece of junk. The Moroso is the most expensive of the units, but sometimes you get what you pay for. I put one on Paul Rash's car about a year ago and even after all the street miles he puts on the car, there was no sign of wear when I recently took it apart for service.

Old 03-18-2001, 07:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I know there is a Ford smog pump that some guys have converted to use as a smog pump quite sucessfully. I wish I knew the part number, or the application cuz I'd put one on my 65.

Tim Corcoran

------------------
65 LeMans 11.13@120
going into the 10's
this winter

Old 03-18-2001, 10:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Once again, Misus, you are dead wrong. I use the "Vac-U-Jak" brand, as recommended by you. Remember?

Old 03-18-2001, 11:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm looking to go with a Vacuum pump this year, but I also run an alternator, and use the 70 GTO alternator bracket, BBC double pulley on the balancer, with a real short belt. I'd be interested in were the Moroso one bolts up, which side of the motor, and how much? I read Zeek's set up, and
looks more like what I would need, any help would be appericated. Thanks Gach

Old 03-19-2001, 12:14 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Gach, The Moroso pump (about $369) can bolt on the passenger side allowing you to run a factory type alternator setup on the driver side. Jim runs a real small 1 wire alternator on the lower passenger side.

Old 03-19-2001, 12:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Your right, it's a little pricey. Sounds like it would be allot easier for me, I could use the empty pulley to run another belt, and put it on the passengers side. Now this is some thing I heard about the Moroso pumps, and it may not be true on a Pontiac, what I heard is that you have to be careful, because it will pull to much, did you have to do anything to the ones you've installed, to slow them
down, and thanks for the info, it's been really great and a big help, not having to case all this stuff, big time, and money saver.

Old 03-19-2001, 02:08 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

You're right, they can create too much vacuum and prevent the oil from returning to the pan quick enough. You can adjust the amount of vacuum by sizing the pump pulley. The trick is to buy the Moroso pump without a pulley and go to a junkyard a buy a smog pump 3 bolt pulley in a size that is 25% bigger than your crank pulley, this way the pump speed will stay under the engine speed and control the vacuum. I went to my local U pull it yard and walked around and pulled off 20 pulleys in different sizes. They charged me $1 a pulley. The Moroso billet pullies are like $35 each [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]
You HAVE to make sure your engine has tight seals all the way around or you are just throwing horsepower away. Your valve cover gaskets, oil pan gasket , front crank seal, etc, all must not allow any air in the crankcase. Remember, just sucking air out of the crankcase isn't going to do it, there must be a negative pressure (vacuum) inside the crankcase (about 14-15"). I have a vacuum gauge tapped into the fuel pump block off plate so I can monitor the vacuum going through the traps. If I don't see 14", something is wrong.

[This message has been edited by Scott R (edited 03-19-2001).]

Old 03-19-2001, 12:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A friend or mine races Fords and I have talked to him about putting a vacuum pump on my car. He said to go to the junk yard and get a pump from a Ford truck that has a 460 in it. He uses them and they pull around 15" of vacuum, plus they are dirt cheap. I am planning on putting one on mine before to long.

Old 03-19-2001, 07:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Are you sure about the application? Any year Ford truck with a 460? I wouldn't want to wast my time buying a smog pump, then making brackets and all, then it be the wrong pump.

Tim Corcoran

------------------
65 LeMans 11.13@120
going into the 10's
this winter

Old 03-19-2001, 09:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't have a Moroso catalog at home. Does Moroso require a notched type of belt or a regular V type of belt. How about the Ford pump?

Ron

Due to the current economic conditions...the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

Meet you at the finish line.....don't be late!
Old 03-20-2001, 01:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thats what he told me, any truck that has a 460 and and vacuum pump will do. He showed me the read out of what is pulls and hes has a vacuum of 13".

Old 03-20-2001, 09:12 PM

I use a Ford smog pump from a 1988 F150 with a V8. It has the correct nipples for inlet/outlet. If using gas and get oil into the pump they will last a long time. If using alcohol with all the water coming out of the valve covers they seize them up pretty quick, as does the moroso style. Moroso sells a rebuild kit which makes it nice. The ford mounts with the top hole to the block with a 1/4" plate behind it that extends down below the head. Put a slot in the plate for adjustment. Change the pulley on the pump to achieve the correct vacuum just as you would with the m-pump. I've got about $45 in my setup. Ed

Old 03-20-2001, 11:04 PM
Senior Chief

How does a vaccum pump work? Doesn't it suck the air out that is under the piston making it easier to move down the piston? Wouldn't it make it harder for the piston to go up the cylinder?

Old 03-21-2001, 12:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey Ed, do you have any photos of your brackets? I'm not much of a fabricator so picture would help.

Also anyone who uses the Ford vacuum pump have any photos of the brackets?

Tim Corcoran

------------------
65 LeMans 11.13@120
going into the 10's
this winter