Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 03-18-2001, 09:59 AM

Wow Jim great numbers I was on the dyno last year with my Ram Air 4 steel head motor at Kauffmans.I made 690 H.P, 635 torque.Did you run a vacuum pump at all? I want to try this as Mark said I could pick up an additional 10-15 H.P.I bought the pump from them but havent put it on yet.Do you know of anyone who could make a bracket for it?I think you have the right step hedder.I tried the 2 inch hedder and lost h.p. and picked up torque.I put my tri step hedders 2-21/8-21/4 into a 3/12 collector.I lost torque and picked up H.P.What kind of cam are you running?

Old 03-18-2001, 12:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Boykoman, yes I am running the Ford air pump from KRE. I used the factory C-shaped alternator bracket to mount mine. You can do it this way if you have the room in your engine compartment and are not running a factory fuel pump. You dont really need the top of the bracket where the adjustment is made. Mount the bracket in its original location, run a long bolt thru the pump to the head at the bottom of the bracket. Make sure you have your pulleys on because you may have to shim the bracket a little bit. I run the Moroso 64210 2 groove BBC pulley. The one on the pump is from the first car at the junkyard that was easy to get to. The air pump will now be hanging where the power steering pump used to be. Take a piece of 1/8"x1" or 1/8"x1 1/4" flat stock. You will take that and drill a hole in one end to bolt it to where the fuel pump used to mount. (I bolted mine right on top of the block off plate. This is also where I put a nipple to take my vacuum readings from. You will have to make a bend or 2 to get the flatstock to run under where the pump is now hanging. When you figure out your length and bends, make a slot in the flatbar to put a bolt into the bottom of the airpump for your adjustments. It is really a pretty simple setup, just sounds complicated. I will try to get some pictures posted for you to see what it looks like. Or if you want, have your pump handy and give me a call and maybe I can help you out over the phone. 215-598-7384

Old 03-18-2001, 01:25 PM

Thanks Jim I will call you later next week Im heading out of town for a few days.Dan.

Old 03-18-2001, 07:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Here is a picture of Jim Zeek's motor.

Old 03-18-2001, 10:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Zeek, do you run and alternater? Is that top bracket a pontiac one, or is that the Ford one, if so do you have a part number for it.

Old 03-18-2001, 11:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It is a Pontiac factory bracket. Not sure of part number. Yes I run an alternator. It mounts to the lower left (looking at the motor from the front) part of the motor plate. Then I took one of the long skinny a/c (I think) adjustment brackets and welded it to my frame for the belt adjustment. I'll try to have another picture of the complete setup so anyone can get some ideas on ways to make mounting easier.

Old 03-19-2001, 12:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ok, I have that bracket on my car now, it's a 1970 GTO bracket, none power steering. I bought it from Year One, and I believe they still offer it in their catalog. Have plenty of the long shinny brackets. Like to fine out what that Ford pump comes off of. Thanks for you help Zeek, and Scott for the picture, big help. How did you run the plumbing, looks like in the picture, your coming off the valve cover's then a tee into the pump.

Old 03-19-2001, 10:24 AM

Gach, I use a Ford vac pump from an '88 F150, I think off a 351. It's real simple to use, it already has the correct nipples on the pump. Ed

Old 03-20-2001, 12:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ed, thanks for the informantion, I'll be hunting for one, maybe pick up a new one from the parts store.