Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 03-25-2001, 10:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've run into a hot start problem with my GTO's 455. The headers practically touch the stock starter (probably touch when startinng as engine vibrates). Are IMI starters reliable? My engine has just 10:1 but I think more clearance would be a good idea.

Old 03-25-2001, 10:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've run into a hot start problem with my GTO's 455. The headers practically touch the stock starter (probably touch when startinng as engine vibrates). Are IMI starters reliable? My engine has just 10:1 but I think more clearance would be a good idea.

Old 03-25-2001, 04:47 PM

I've had one in my '65 GTO for about three years and 15000 miles, no problems whatsoever!

Also has good clearance!

[img]http://photos.msn.com/imageserver/image.aspx?Image=HcZNnT9kkUh7v3gGH5Km42rZ7vcme1lp* UaM!VDE1BG*vgDalH3kuL5h3zNqazZzIGM4Vs6rS1*M8m6jwq2 RRzGpoEcUD1hew3uV4awBUsyFSmp5gkgscnHcokRZl*b8MCsY3 sAhyRgDddNSylRh*Q$$[/IMG]
Old 03-25-2001, 09:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Ditto, My IMI has NEVER let me down since installed.

Old 03-26-2001, 02:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Same here. I have one in my GTO and in Tempest.

------------------
Jim

Old 03-26-2001, 11:12 PM

'71 T/A I had the same problem, But got the IMI about 2 years ago it has good clearance and no problems, I did have to install the .40" spacer (inc.) as it was to close to the flywheel

Old 03-28-2001, 01:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have been using the IMI on my 12:1 474 for over 5 years and it has never let me down and cranks with the greatest od ease.

Tim Corcoran

------------------
65 LeMans 11.13@120

Old 03-28-2001, 01:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had a hot start problem with an IMI starter last year. It was on my car for over 4 years. When the car was cold, it spun over without a problem. But occasionally, when the engine was hot, the solenoid wouldn't kick in. I called IMI and they said they've never had this happen before. I decided to try a different starter, and soon discovered because of my ultra-tight header clearance, nothing else would work. I decided to order the same IMI starter. In the process, I found out they now have a version that's even smaller than the one I bought 4 years ago (it has an "N" after the part number). I ordered it from a west coast vendor.

After a 10 days of waiting, and my car sitting in the garage watching beautiful sunny days go by, I called the vendor and discovered the starter wasn't even shipped yet! I called IMI directly. These guys were the nicest, most professional people I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with. They not only called the vendor directly to cancel my order, but sold me the same starter at the vendor's price, and shipped it to me UPS Overnight, at IMI's expense! They went above and beyond the call, and because of this service, I highly recommend them.

BTW, my 455 spins over on hot days like a freakin' blender. All mini-starters sound a bit like a Mopar starter, but that's ok. You forget the "kee-kee-kee" sound completely once the engine fires up. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
Old 03-28-2001, 06:01 PM
Senior Chief

Who is "IMI"? What is their phone number?

Thanks!

Old 03-28-2001, 06:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pete - IMI makes small high torque starters. I thought I showed you one in my garage. I highly recommend running one of these, especially with the headers you plan to use. Their phone number is 562-907-9400, or 888-244-8675. They are in Whittier, CA.

------------------
Jim

Old 03-28-2001, 10:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The folks at IMI are great. They shipped me the shim to move starter back free of charge!
A real pleasure to do buisness with people like that....3-thumbs up!!!