Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 03-26-2023, 03:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Question Anyone know about MF Products Kentucky??

About 35 years ago I attended the Autumn Carlisle Swap Meet. Long time ago I know......

I bought some "MF Low Temperature Aluminium Repair Rod" from a seller there. He was trading as MF Products, distributed by Joe Lamb.

His address was 201 Herzog Rd, Paducah KY 42001 but no phone number on the info sheet.

I used his product on some pot metal lights and it worked really well. Easy to use, filed up the parts and they chromed remarkably well.

I still had a small amount left and as part of my business I need to repair some valuable, rare old light fittings. I found the remaining rods I had left and did a trial repair on these lights. Perfect repair. But I have none left and my investigations here in Oz cannot seem to produce the same type of product.

So I'm asking if this guy still exists??? I cant find him on a Google search but maybe someone in these forums can steer me in the right direction

Thanks
Ian

Old 03-26-2023, 08:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I probably had the same thing back then. It was popular at all the car shows. Car Craft was where I probably got mine.

Anyway, they probably all used the same kind of rods as sold by a lot of places now?

Harbor Freight and Amazon have them.
AlumiWeld (or something like that name) is a popular one?

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 03-26-2023, 10:53 AM

These rods are not all the same. I suggest you try the Hobart. Small packages on the shelf at Home Depot or Northern Tool.

Old 03-26-2023, 06:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobuddy View Post
These rods are not all the same. I suggest you try the Hobart. Small packages on the shelf at Home Depot or Northern Tool.
Thanks for the advice so far but I'm a bit in the dark here. Basically I searched for this stuff at the usual suppliers over here in Australia but they could not commit to it being the same as what I had originally bought in the US like I said, 35 years ago.

Sure, they would sell me some aluminium welding rods, various types but the concept of it being "low melt" defeated them. I guess it all boils down to the fact that they don't want any liability if it all went wrong.

What I have here is an antique cast aluminium chandelier, (made of pot metal in reality), quite a complex and valuable light fitting almost certainly made in Europe over 100 years ago. It fell from the ceiling and I've been asked to repair it. I tried to weld a broken plate using the left over rods I had from the USA and I was really pleased how it joined. You heat the pot metal and touch on the low melt rod till it flows into the broken joint. So the pot metal is obviously a higher melt point than the rod. Works fantastically.

So what I'd like a little more info on please is what is the product you call HOBART?? Does it specify its melt point and does it mention it is good for repairing pot metal?

Thanks in advance

Ian

Old 03-26-2023, 07:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hobart makes welders and stuff.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 03-26-2023, 08:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't have experience with pot metal repair but you are describing a soldering or brazing process (melting point of the rod being the only distinction).

I searched "low melt alloys for pot metal repair" and there are many advertised: link to search results

Is there any way to identify the composition of the rod you are looking for? If so, you might find a direct alternative. If not, you can try some of those advertised.

Does your rod have a flux core or coating? I would expect you'd need an aggressive flux to solder pot metal but I'm just guessing.

Old 03-26-2023, 08:43 PM

I just now saw you are in Australia. "Hobart Brothers" is owned by Illinois Tool Works who also owns Miller Welding so probably found at same welding suppliers. They make welding machines, supplies and a lot of welding filler metals. Brazing also. I found this contact on their website. Maybe Hobart isn't widely available in Australia, there is nothing on Amazon AU.

WELDING INDUSTRIES OF AUSTRALIA
5 Allan Street
Melrose Park 5039
, Australia
6(188) 276-6494
fuhai.liu@welding.com.au

My suggestion to try some is because the rods are not all the same. Obviously try it on some pot metal that is not rare or of value to see how you like it.

This stuff - https://www.hobartwelders.com/consum...n-qty-7-770206.

Last edited by Nobuddy; 03-26-2023 at 08:50 PM.
Old 03-26-2023, 11:50 PM
Senior Chief

Heybuck, I found this a while ago when looking into potmetal repairs. Maybe it will help you.
https://www.muggyweld.com/product/su...%20Pot%20Metal
It looks like the products are also available on amazon.

Old 03-27-2023, 08:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigGT37 View Post
Heybuck, I found this a while ago when looking into potmetal repairs. Maybe it will help you.
https://www.muggyweld.com/product/su...%20Pot%20Metal
It looks like the products are also available on amazon.
Hey Craig,

That looks amazing. I just talked to my client and they are happy for me to purchase this product to try it out.
I've decided I'm not skilled enough to attempt this full repair but I know a guy who is. The light fitting I'm talking about is very valuable so it needs to be done right.
I'll let you know how it all works out
Cheers, Ian

Old 03-27-2023, 06:33 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heybuck View Post
Hey Craig,

That looks amazing. I just talked to my client and they are happy for me to purchase this product to try it out.
I've decided I'm not skilled enough to attempt this full repair but I know a guy who is. The light fitting I'm talking about is very valuable so it needs to be done right.
I'll let you know how it all works out
Cheers, Ian
I’ve used the muggyweld and it’s pretty good stuff but as noted it needs flux. I’ve also used these low temp aluminum rods. They also work great, no flux needed, and they meet military specs. Just something else you may consider.
http://alumiweld.com