Old 03-24-2023, 11:11 PM

well a micrometer is better suited for critical measurements like crank and rod journals I would trust a micrometer much more than a caliper digital or dial as far as this taper stuff ,,I only have 11 engines under my belt and never new about this.. then again I went to aircraft mech schools myself, so personally I would trust the manufacture of the product in this regard and in the flat tappet world use the lightest springs that will work in your set up, im using oem in this 068 install.. and brake in oil 10-30 best price is lunati on amozon ...this is what has worked for me in the past caught a deal on some USA made Pontiac lifters on flea bay a bit ago just know what you need to do 20 min or so and your done don't try any crazy stuff like fi or final tuning of your ignition curve till you get this done hold it at 1800 or so rpm and spike the throttle to encourage those lifters to spin now and then

The Following User Says Thank You to Nyairguard For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2023, 12:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

For me, the only way I got consistent measurements for lobe taper, and lifter crown was using a surface plate, V-blocks and a dial test indicator. Typical you'd see on a lobe is 0.00150 - 0.002. Lifter crown usually around 0.002.

Lifter crown can be tough to measure ... can't really just turn it upside down and indicate off the face because the plunger side is probably not perfectly parallel to the face. I'd chuck them in my lathe and get them running true then indicate off the face.

I only bother to check a couple of lifters in a set, and one intake and one exhaust on the cam.

Old 06-11-2023, 08:28 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyairguard View Post
Well I measured the lobes on each front to back differ slightly a little over a thousand but this is with a dial caliper I’m missing my 2-3 mike, never knew or thought about taper on a cam lobe learned something new. Not sure what is a good amount of taper from the pic you can barely see it Attachment 609531

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Does the cam say made in the USA?

Thanks
Old Joe

68 GTO Clone (Tempest) Wagon
Old 08-18-2023, 08:46 PM

sorry for the late response box stated use didnt look if it had it on the cam