Old 09-26-2020, 09:48 AM
Senior Chief

Default 1971 GTO fuel tank question

After removing the original fuel tank from the GTO, I see that the filler neck is tweaked and a little crushed as well as a big dent on the bottom of the tank. Looking at reproduction tanks reveals that none are exact to the original. I wanted to know what others are using for a replacement or is there a possibility of getting the tank restored by someone? Thanks.

Old 09-26-2020, 11:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

After asking here about 2 years ago about a tank for my 70 gto which also had a dent and a couple of repairs,I ended up getting a spectre tank from rockauto. Good price and looked pretty much identical to the original tank. Used my original sending unit.

Old 09-27-2020, 07:07 AM
Senior Chief

Spectra tank, had to bend the corners inward a little bit and went right in. If I had to do it again would get a stainless tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 09-27-2020, 07:43 PM

Lee, I'm picking up a 70 Tempest this week. Want me to check out the tank condition for you?

Old 09-27-2020, 08:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I also got a Spectra tank and it looked and fit like original. Got mine from Jegs. Be careful with the sender if you buy new. The one I got from Spectra was wrong. It hit the baffle and I had to get a different brand.

Old 09-28-2020, 09:37 AM
Senior Chief

Thanks fellows. I had not heard of Spectra before so this is good news. Do the original tank straps fit well on the Spectra tanks? Thanks for all the help!

Old 09-28-2020, 10:23 AM
Senior Chief

Used NOS and fit fine, make sure to use the original screws for the rearward strap end. Repros aren’t right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 10-07-2020, 11:23 AM
Senior Chief

Does anyone know what brand that AMES sells in the stainless steel tanks? I tried going to JEGS for a spectra tank but they had no listing for Pontiacs. Rock Auto site just spun endlessly after entering the search criteria. Tried the Spectra site and could not get it to come up with a part/tank number for the '71 GTO.

Old 10-07-2020, 01:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

https://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/p...rod/prd295.htm

I have there EFI tank in my 70, nice tank.

Old 10-07-2020, 09:21 PM
Senior Chief

https://www.autozone.com/fuel-delive...63497_127855_0

The Following User Says Thank You to CraigGT37 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2020, 10:46 AM
Senior Chief

Thanks for the help. I did finally find the Spectra tank at Rockauto so all is well. Thanks again!

Old 10-09-2020, 06:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

FYI, I bought the stainless version of the 70 tank from either Ames or PY (would have to dig out the receipt, but I believe it was not made by Spectra), and it would not fit between the frame rails until I cut off some extra metal on both sides, past the seam where they are welded.

Oshawa built 1 option Judge basket case. 463, SD KRE 295's, CNC'd factory intake, Cliff's Qjet, Stump Puller HR cam, RARE RA manifolds, Pypes exhaust, T56 Magnum, McLeod RXT clutch, 3.42 12 bolt. 24 year project almost done...
Old 09-24-2022, 10:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Restoparts?

I'm going to replace my tank in hopes of eliminating a rust source.

Good feedback in this thread - thanks for sharing.

It seems most are happy with Tanks, Inc. and Spectra. I can get Spectra through a local parts store and avoid shipping cost so I'm leaning that way.

Tanks Inc. shows out of stock until January so they aren't an option for me.

Ames offers "kits" which is appealing but I'm leary of their shipping costs and comments about their stainless tank not fitting doesn't build confidence. Does anyone know who makes their tanks?

Has anyone had any corrosion issues after installing a galvanized or Ni-terne tank? The original was obviously not stainless but the gas didn't have alcohol back then. Is stainless worth the cost?

Does stainless aggravate corrosion of the pickup/sender? Bolting galvanized steel to stainless sounds like a bad idea.

Anyone familiar with Restoparts? Looks like an OPGI brand also sold by Summit. They offer galvanized, Ni-terne, and stainless which makes me wonder if they are made by Spectra? Their stainless tank is $300 which seems a good deal if it fits but I normally don't look at OPGI.

Old 09-24-2022, 01:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm not sure rust is a big issue with the Spectra tanks. They are coated as opposed to just bare steel. I understand the ethanol with water issue, but they are coated to resist rust. I just use non ethanol or premium anyway to get away from that costly issue (messes up carbs, etc.).

Old 09-24-2022, 02:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Check your local parts store. I bought a Spectra tank for my 68 right over the counter. They had to order it from the warehouse but it was there by 1:00 p.m. and no shipping. The price was a little better than I had found online also. The disclaimer is that it was probably 10 years ago.
By the way, mine still looks brand new after having been on the car for a decade at least. I degreased it with lacquer thinner and sprayed it with clear.
On the sending units, I think you should keep your original if it still works. I've heard stories about some of the new ones crapping out after 5 or 6 years. Frankly, mine can be a little flaky from time to time... I replaced it with the tank.

Last edited by Greg Reid; 09-24-2022 at 02:42 PM.
Old 09-24-2022, 04:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs72lemans View Post
I'm not sure rust is a big issue with the Spectra tanks. They are coated as opposed to just bare steel. I understand the ethanol with water issue, but they are coated to resist rust. I just use non ethanol or premium anyway to get away from that costly issue (messes up carbs, etc.).
Thanks and understood. Ethanol-free gas would definitely reduce risk but it is expensive if I want to drive the car.

Spectra says "Ni-terne" which I interpret as pre-plated steel sheet with something other than zinc. (link to some info here) Yes, better than bare steel but if it only lasts 5 years, I'd be upset. My guess is it will last longer than that but I don't want to revisit a few years down the road.

Photos show the problem I'm trying to eliminate. The rust might be from the lines and not the tank but the 52-yr-old tank is going to be replaced as a starting point.

I don't think stainless is worth the extra cost for my beater but real-life experience will make me feel better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
Check your local parts store. I bought a Spectra tank for my 68 right over the counter. They had to order it from the warehouse but it was there by 1:00 p.m. and no shipping. The price was a little better than I had found online also. The disclaimer is that it was probably 10 years ago.
By the way, mine still looks brand new after having been on the car for a decade at least. I degreased it with lacquer thinner and sprayed it with clear.
On the sending units, I think you should keep your original if it still works. I've heard stories about some of the new ones crapping out after 5 or 6 years. Frankly, mine can be a little flaky from time to time... I replaced it with the tank.
Thank you Greg.

Have you had pump gas in the Spectra tank for 10 years and no issue? Sounds good enough to me and yes, I am leaning toward a Spectra tank through the local parts store.

Good warning on the sending units. My original is still working so maybe I can get away with just cleaning it up and replacing the sock. I'll know more when I pull it out, I guess.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180616_123839.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	599297   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180613_073205.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	599299  

Old 09-24-2022, 07:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, nothing but pump gas. Also, I don't believe there's any way that rattle can clear coating my tank is what protected it all these years. I was just noticing yesterday how nice it still looks.

Old 09-24-2022, 09:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks again Greg and tjs72lemans

Sounds like a plan - I can order a Spectra tank through Autozone or NAPA locally, but NAPA wants an extra $110 just because...

Old 09-24-2022, 09:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A little dirty but no rust at all.

Sent from my moto g stylus (2021) using Tapatalk

Old 09-24-2022, 10:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, that's holding up great for 10 yrs in a humid climate.

Hopefully the inside is just as clean!

I'm curious to know what I find when I drop mine... I expect rust. The car sat in Seattle for 9 yrs with old pump gas and I speculate the fuel absorbed a little moisture.

There were cars that looked like this sitting in yards so it was a wet place.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mossy.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	599303