Old 05-21-2022, 01:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTASSBIRD View Post
Gonna depend on the plant. Van Nuys cars have really early Date codes. Recently saw. Numbers matching 4 speed 03A car with a Dec dated block. My 04A cars block is C100. Interestingly it has a lower vin the. This block being discussed and this block is C090. If your car is a Norwood car I’d say and of Feb start of March is about right
I appreciate the info. My car is a Norwood car and about 5000 VIN’s earlier than the block in this thread. There’s actually another board member here with a TA that’s just a few VIN’s away from mine (like 5-8 IIRC) but I don’t think I got an answer when I asked if he had any of the original drivetrain. I’m just curious more than anything. It’s interesting how these cars were assembled

Spotts Built 484" IA2, Highports, EFI Northwind
Terminator X sequential EFI fabrication and suspension by
https://www.funkhouserracecars.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to R 70 Judge For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2022, 02:15 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by R 70 Judge View Post
I appreciate the info. My car is a Norwood car and about 5000 VIN’s earlier than the block in this thread. There’s actually another board member here with a TA that’s just a few VIN’s away from mine (like 5-8 IIRC) but I don’t think I got an answer when I asked if he had any of the original drivetrain. I’m just curious more than anything. It’s interesting how these cars were assembled
Yea, the first part of March then. Yours is a little lower then mine and it’s the 10th.

Old 05-21-2022, 05:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My old 1970 Trans Am was built in the Van Nuys plant during the second week of April 1970 (04B). The original block was dated January 20, 1970 (A200) and the original M20 trans was dated April 2nd (P0D02A). The shipping date was May 11, 1970.

Old 05-21-2022, 08:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpoltzer View Post
Thanks for the kind words Fastassbird: The VIN on the block is:
20N 112586 . I am unsure how to tell if it is a firebird or GTO?? Dave
The car that motor came from was offered for sale out of Indiana in 2007, sans drivetrain. The PHS for it was included with the ad - car originally sold in Asheville, NC. The seller noted he had 30 other TAs for sale, and I think they may have been the cars formerly owned by Ed Waller out of Georgia.

Seems like a good chance the car is still out there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PHS Invoice.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	591287   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dash.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	591288   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tail Right Rear.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	591289  

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to keith k For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2022, 09:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith k View Post
The car that motor came from was offered for sale out of Indiana in 2007, sans drivetrain. The PHS for it was included with the ad - car originally sold in Asheville, NC.

Thats about as plain-jane a TA as you could get!

Old 05-21-2022, 10:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transamric View Post
Thats about as plain-jane a TA as you could get!
Yep I’d say that takes the cake for lowest optioned trans am.

Old 05-23-2022, 09:33 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Too cool. I got the motor from an owner in GA

Old 05-23-2022, 08:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I wonder if the 112586 car is one that I owned in the early 1980s. Is CC white?

In 1982, I bought an ultra-low option 1970 Trans Am from a guy that lived outside of Hendersonville, NC. I was living near Charlotte NC at the time, about 90 miles away. Hendersonville is about 20 miles from Asheville. The car was white 4-spd w/ 3.55 gears, black standard interior, console, and tinted windshield only. I especially remember the glass, because I wondered if the windshield had been replaced because it was the only tinted glass on the car. I owned that car before I knew Pontiac would send build sheets out, so I never had a PHS.

That T/A had been rode hard and put up wet before I got it. The original engine had been replaced with a later model T/A engine, but it still had the 12-bolt. It had rust starting in it, and that was 40 years ago.

I didn't have it long. About six months later, I found another 1970 T/A (also with the incorrect engine) that was in better shape and had a much stronger drivetrain. I sold the first T/A at either Autofair or the old Metrolina Car show at the old Charlotte Fairgrounds . I think it went out of state, but I don't remember where it went.

Old 05-23-2022, 10:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith k View Post
The car that motor came from was offered for sale out of Indiana in 2007, sans drivetrain. The PHS for it was included with the ad - car originally sold in Asheville, NC. The seller noted he had 30 other TAs for sale, and I think they may have been the cars formerly owned by Ed Waller out of Georgia.

this revelation is really neat.
FYI those seats are deluxe - which should be on PHS if they were original.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 05-24-2022, 07:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The dash doesn't have the grab bar, so the seats are probably redone/replaced.

The CC is for white.

Was a radio standard on the TA?

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 05-24-2022, 12:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My 1970 Formula was a low option car. It listed Radio-P/B as a $61 option.

I have the original window sticker for my 1970 T/A. The AM radio was also listed as a $61 option.

So I'm guessing it had a radio delete plate installed and no radio. The white 1970 4-spd I owned in 1982 had an aftermarket radio. I don't remember if it had a windshield antenna or aftermarket. That's been a long time ago.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	window_sticker_2.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	591440  

Old 05-24-2022, 01:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My '70 did not have a radio when new. When I purchased it it had an AM radio installed. Nothing listed on the documents I have shows a radio listed.

Old 05-24-2022, 03:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Mine had a radio as an option on the PHS. Right now the only station I get is WRA3.

https://youtube.com/shorts/gG15nb4FWeo?feature=share
Old 05-24-2022, 05:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I believe that the radio was always a cost option;
I held off on posting incase anyone might have had something more substanciated to share.

I had come to understand that the early cars always came with a windshield with the embedded arial even if a radio wasn't ordered;
I have been told that the windshield in the mid(?) 1970's changed with the radio option, because cars were being ordered without a radio when people got wind that the arial was already in the car - after that point I believe that a car being ordered without a radio, could have had a radio accomidation package so that an antenna didn't need to be added to a fender (or the quarter panel).

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 05-24-2022, 09:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by unruhjonny View Post
I held off on posting incase anyone might have had something more substanciated to share.
Yep - any radio would have been an extra cost option. With no radio called out on the PHS, the car would have been delivered with a block off plate.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Instrument Panel RH.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	591469  

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
Old 05-25-2022, 07:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhein View Post
Mine had a radio as an option on the PHS. Right now the only station I get is WRA3.
I heard that's a good station. I live on the east coast but my friend lives in Portland and he told me about it.

Old 05-25-2022, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unruhjonny View Post

I had come to understand that the early cars always came with a windshield with the embedded arial even if a radio wasn't ordered;
I have been told that the windshield in the mid(?) 1970's changed with the radio option, because cars were being ordered without a radio when people got wind that the arial was already in the car - after that point I believe that a car being ordered without a radio, could have had a radio accomidation package so that an antenna didn't need to be added to a fender (or the quarter panel).
Random information, but in the late 70's I worked for a company installing aftermarket accessories for new car dealers (radios, cruise control, side molding, vinyl, tops, and pinstripe), Dealers ordered the cars with the Radio Accommodation Package. This would include antenna, wire harness, and in some cases speaker openings or grills in the dash or doors. We installed look alike factory radio/tape players along with correct looking knobs, speaker brackets etc. Usually about 1/2 price of factory radio and dealer would pocket or deal the difference.

Old 05-25-2022, 04:36 PM

Very very cool dpoltzer much respect to you for trying to reunite the engine with the vehicle. You know how we’re obsessed with our Pontiac’s. Many wish they had a numbers matching. You know bragging rights and value. 👍👍

The Following User Says Thank You to jrunner For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 04:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks again for all of the great replies. Since the car that my WS motor once belonged to seems to be long gone, I will rebuild the motor and enjoy it! Dave

Old 05-27-2022, 08:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho-mike View Post
Sometimes these things don't work out the way you would think.

I bought a 1970 WS engine and the Muncie 4-spd out of a 1970 Lucy Blue Trans Am in the mid-1980s. The buyer went with a 454 and a M-22 after he spun a rod bearing in the original motor. About ten years later and after several new owners, a guy contacts me to see if I still have the motor. I told the guy I didn't want to sell it, but I would trade it for another 1970 WS in the same condition and $200 for the trouble. He didn't like that answer, so he decided that since the motor had the same VIN as his car, he had legal claim to it. He hired a lawyer to write a letter demanding his block stating he was willing to compensate me for what I paid. A friend who was a lawyer said he had no claim unless the car had been stolen. He contacted DMV enforcement and an officer called me, and essentially agreed that he had no claim to the motor. The guy irritated me enough to where I told him the motor wasn't for sale, and don't call me again. I had a few unknown people call me randomly inquiring about a Ram III, but I said I didn't have one. I held onto it for another twenty years before I finally sold it to someone in Texas. If the guy hadn't been such a jerk, he could have gotten both the original motor and tranny (which he wasn't even aware he was missing).
Wowser! Momma used to say, “you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.” That fellow could’ve used a lesson in civility and he got it!