Old 02-15-2022, 12:52 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Starter 1108436

So I was told my starter was a restamp and thought that was rude and did some digging around. Others from community even told me that the individual that said that devalued my starter. So I compared his to an original and his starter doesn't have the thick rim where the starters nose meets the housing. Could that be a factory error? Probably not. But to mock mine while yours is incorrect isn't cool. The following is a pic of an original and then his, they are different. But like he said don't loose sleep over it. Hmm that's not cool . I had a pontiac judge tell me mine is real and I showed it to a friend and he said it was. I got a long way to go on my restoration if you have something helpful to say to help me great. If you see I made a mistake tell me but to say I got a restamped part and to try to devalue my components isn't cool. I was told he also said my carb was a restamp. This is my hobby and I. Restoring my dad's car that's been in my family since I was 6 years old.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220205-190614_Messenger.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	584133   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220102-194931_Facebook.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	584135  

Old 02-15-2022, 10:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I could use the same starter for my 71 TA. But I could care less... it starts...and drives and is matching numbers on the main components. This is part of the reason I think the numbers matching guys (not saying you) will get a car and restore it for 20 years or more... waiting for that one thing, not just get it running and enjoy it. Even though it does not have the matching number starter, alternator or whatever. Guess what if it does not have the born with components other than tires or wear items it is not matching numbers to me. FWIW

Old 02-15-2022, 11:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Number matching

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dblnkldude View Post
I could use the same starter for my 71 TA. But I could care less... it starts...and drives and is matching numbers on the main components. This is part of the reason I think the numbers matching guys (not saying you) will get a car and restore it for 20 years or more... waiting for that one thing, not just get it running and enjoy it. Even though it does not have the matching number starter, alternator or whatever. Guess what if it does not have the born with components other than tires or wear items it is not matching numbers to me. FWIW
Yeah maybe im.getting a little Carried away lol
My point was this expert tried bashing my starter and his is an incorrect starter.but yeah this parts aren't that important

Old 02-16-2022, 02:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Nose cones can throw off an ID easily, and are easily swapped. Our dealer got a AC Delco reman for a 72 Trans am while I was there. It had a 1970 6 cyl. case on it, but built to spec with correct nose. We had just stopped doing in house rebuilds on Starters and alternators. Mr Goodwrench didnt like that I guess.

Old 02-16-2022, 07:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Pretty sure Steve Tischler restored the one in the picture. He’d know if it wasn’t original or not. I’m the end you can’t argue the number stamps. Either they are straight and the original numbers or not. To those of us who have hundreds on hundreds of hours studying reading and actually having owned a few originals the restamps are very obvious.

Old 02-16-2022, 09:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTASSBIRD View Post
Pretty sure Steve Tischler restored the one in the picture. He’d know if it wasn’t original or not. I’m the end you can’t argue the number stamps. Either they are straight and the original numbers or not. To those of us who have hundreds on hundreds of hours studying reading and actually having owned a few originals the restamps are very obvious.
Ok man so.you have hours of studying parts and didn't know your was incorrect and since you know everything and I'm new I'm not knowing right. Ha nice try man. Second you blame your starter rebuilder dude yours isn't like that original in the pic period. You see in the 80s starters looked like yours with part number on bottom cap opposite of nose. No thick rim so what people did was carefully stamp them. I liked you but your rude offensive and think.you know everything. Im.not hear to message fight but man up and take admitt your mistakes. Oh and remember that dates are not seen on ram air exhuast manifolds once installed on car, that's what you told me and that's a lie. Shame on you dude. Thin rimed starters are not real ram air starters. Like you said don't loose sleep over it.

Old 02-16-2022, 09:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Man. I see why you and Vickers get along so well. Once again you’d be wrong as normal.

Old 02-16-2022, 10:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Starter

Quote:
Man. I see why you and Vickers get along so well. Once again you’d be wrong as normal.
People I know have nothing to do with the fact yours is different from all pics of all originals I have seen and you say yours is original. I understand if it was an inexpensive item but paying top dollar for something that clearly isn't like an original is crazy, get my point. And to get treated poorly isn't cool man. I honestly don't care if im.right or wrong just look at the fricken pictures and compare the two. They not the same! Take care I'm out

Old 02-16-2022, 10:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramairnacho View Post
People I know have nothing to do with the fact yours is different from all pics of all originals I have seen and you say yours is original. I understand if it was an inexpensive item but paying top dollar for something that clearly isn't like an original is crazy, get my point. And to get treated poorly isn't cool man. I honestly don't care if im.right or wrong just look at the fricken pictures and compare the two. They not the same! Take care I'm out
That’s cause yours is a restamp 😂

Old 02-16-2022, 10:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
Nose cones can throw off an ID easily, and are easily swapped. Our dealer got a AC Delco reman for a 72 Trans am while I was there. It had a 1970 6 cyl. case on it, but built to spec with correct nose. We had just stopped doing in house rebuilds on Starters and alternators. Mr Goodwrench didnt like that I guess.
People also seem to forget that these were returned as cores to major parts stores and then sent off to be rebuilt and resold through the same major parts stores. Nose comes from a Pontiac. A Cadillac and Buicks just to name a few are interchangeable. There are actual posts on this forum of guys buying misc Cadillac and buick starters and getting 436’s in the box because it takes a lot of torque to turn over a 500 cubic inch Cadillac motor. Also forgot it seems is that these were built at multiple locations and shifts Many a Friday or Monday assembly has been discovered on this forum alone and I’m sure the Chevy guys have their stories. Best one to date is the 69 Trans An with the partial Chevy vin stamped in the ram air block. It if we go by what the OP is claiming that trans am must be a fake 🙄

Old 02-17-2022, 12:06 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Starter

Quote:
People also seem to forget that these were returned as cores to major parts stores and then sent off to be rebuilt and resold through the same major parts stores. Nose comes from a Pontiac. A Cadillac and Buicks just to name a few are interchangeable. There are actual posts on this forum of guys buying misc Cadillac and buick starters and getting 436’s in the box because it takes a lot of torque to turn over a 500 cubic inch Cadillac motor. Also forgot it seems is that these were built at multiple locations and shifts Many a Friday or Monday assembly has been discovered on this forum alone and I’m sure the Chevy guys have their stories. Best one to date is the 69 Trans An with the partial Chevy vin stamped in the ram air block. It if we go by what the OP is claiming that trans am must be a fake 🙄
Well that's funny because that old Crusty picture is a core from.a ram air 4 and compared to yours they don't look the same. Going off on all these tangents gets off track that comparing any original to your you will see the difference. On my other thread I just asked for advice on if I should run it or not since not correct date. You did help me and I thank you for my heads but your starter just doesn't look right to me. It's got no thick rim where it meets the housing man. That's a red flag if I ever seen one. Hear is a pic of a different of a low torque starter it has no rim. I realize the part number isn't the same but the low torque starter doesn't have thick rim. Take care man.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1645070643933589784911739016508.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	584251  

Old 02-17-2022, 12:59 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Well that's funny because that old Crusty picture is a core from.a ram air 4 and compared to yours they don't look the same. Going off on all these tangents gets off track that comparing any original to your you will see the difference. On my other thread I just asked for advice on if I should run it or not since not correct date. You did help me and I thank you for my heads but your starter just doesn't look right to me. It's got no thick rim where it meets the housing man. That's a red flag if I ever seen one. Hear is a pic of a different of a low torque starter it has no rim. I realize the part number isn't the same but the low torque starter doesn't have thick rim. Take care man.
See above and learn something. Also my J 70 starter on my 71. A car that’s been sitting in a field since 1985 looks identical to my March starter. Might stop and ask yourself maybe they got rebuilt by a pep boys sillier in the 70’s….. or maybe just maybe the assembly guy grabbed a different nose cone? I mean formula just said the same thing so now your gonna call him names and talk chit to people too? Might wanna remember it’s a REAL small community here. Just saying

Old 02-17-2022, 02:08 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Starter

Quote:
See above and learn something. Also my J 70 starter on my 71. A car that’s been sitting in a field since 1985 looks identical to my March starter. Might stop and ask yourself maybe they got rebuilt by a pep boys sillier in the 70’s….. or maybe just maybe the assembly guy grabbed a different nose cone? I mean formula just said the same thing so now your gonna call him names and talk chit to people too? Might wanna remember it’s a REAL small community here. Just saying
If I was talking **** to. You I'd let you in your face. Your starter isn't correct and if low torque noses are the same they would be on ram air starters. Yours is obviously not built right man and your credibility from my perspective has diminished alot. I don't care how big or small community is you should think about what I just said I bought off you parts not no more man. And all your bull **** stories are exactly that. Peace out. I'm sure there are group members that will pay top dollar for your starter now, if I buy a part it should be correct not to error assembly line part which sounds like a lemon part to me. Why would I think the part was rebuilt by pepboys when you said it was original. Get it ,your credibility is shot ,I trust very few people when it comes to.these type of cars good luck.selling it. Your not right

Old 02-17-2022, 02:16 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default The number 6

Quote:
If I was talking **** to. You I'd let you in your face. Your starter isn't correct and if low torque noses are the same they would be on ram air starters. Yours is obviously not built right man and your credibility from my perspective has diminished alot. I don't care how big or small community is you should think about what I just said I bought off you parts not no more man. And all your bull **** stories are exactly that. Peace out. I'm sure there are group members that will pay top dollar for your starter now, if I buy a part it should be correct not to error assembly line part which sounds like a lemon part to me. Why would I think the part was rebuilt by pepboys when you said it was original. Get it ,your credibility is shot ,I trust very few people when it comes to.these type of cars good luck.selling it. Your not right
Look at your 6 then look at the 6 on an original
1st puc is your and second pic is original. Not same font.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20220216-221439_Gallery.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	584252   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220106-215328_Chrome.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	584253  

Old 02-17-2022, 02:25 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
You probably shouldn’t talk chit in print them. Guess if I read that you said it, then I counts as you saying it to my face? I could care less what you buy. Haven’t you noticed every time you’d ask if I had a part I either didn’t have it or just traded jt? Man people this is what California core math gets ya. As my dad would say race o. Catchit someone will cover you up. It’s a correct starter and that is it. Notice no one else has chimed I about you saying it’s fake? Keep making yourself look a fool man. I could care less if you respect me or whatever we else you said. And for the record I never stated the starter was the original off the car dumba$$ I said it’s an original and guess what IT IS. Steve Tischler tore it apart and cleaned checked all the parts and it had ALL the high torque insides. Do you even know what that actually consists of? Oh yea didn’t think so 😂

Old 02-17-2022, 03:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The Following User Says Thank You to Transamric For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2022, 09:44 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Starter

Quote:
You probably shouldn’t talk chit in print them. Guess if I read that you said it, then I counts as you saying it to my face? I could care less what you buy. Haven’t you noticed every time you’d ask if I had a part I either didn’t have it or just traded jt? Man people this is what California core math gets ya. As my dad would say race o. Catchit someone will cover you up. It’s a correct starter and that is it. Notice no one else has chimed I about you saying it’s fake? Keep making yourself look a fool man. I could care less if you respect me or whatever we else you said. And for the record I never stated the starter was the original off the car dumba$$ I said it’s an original and guess what IT IS. Steve Tischler tore it apart and cleaned checked all the parts and it had ALL the high torque insides. Do you even know what that actually consists of? Oh yea didn’t think so 😂
From what I read and seen your 6 isn't like an original the 6 is off plus you admit it has an incorrect nose. It's probably. A good restamp and I'm not paying or trading anything for it. People can read this and judge for them selves. My car is mostly complete now, I have friends with simular cars and was helping them find parts that's why I asked you. You got negative criticism from the guys that been doing this for a long time man, now I see why. If it's no physical correct then there's the problem. It's like paying full price for a pair if defective hi end rims or buying a good quality jeans not sewed right. To me you don't have thick rim and your 6 isn't like the model core so .I'm not give you one cent. Make sure you tell the person you sell it to these facts. Having more than 1 starter that's like this is wierd too. Please share. Ha!

Old 02-17-2022, 01:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Those same guys I’m on the phone with everyday? The same ones who send screenshots of you talking CHIT? I have 4 starters. One for each car I own and an extra I found on Craigslist. Anyways Whatever bro cool story man. You can’t fix ignorant. I wish the best for your car.

The Following User Says Thank You to FASTASSBIRD For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2022, 06:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I probably should't get in the middle of a urinating match, but the original housings have a thick rim on one side and not on the other. This would seem to me to mean it (pic two in first post) is either a restamp or stamped on the wrong side of the case. The stamp should be on the side away from the engine. It could be a factory error or a restamp. I have seen quite a few odd stamps even double stamps and different fonts in the same line and these were all original. I have been rebuilding since 1975 and have seen a lot. So maybe yes matbe no

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stellar For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2022, 11:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellar View Post
I probably should't get in the middle of a urinating match, but the original housings have a thick rim on one side and not on the other. This would seem to me to mean it (pic two in first post) is either a restamp or stamped on the wrong side of the case. The stamp should be on the side away from the engine. It could be a factory error or a restamp. I have seen quite a few odd stamps even double stamps and different fonts in the same line and these were all original. I have been rebuilding since 1975 and have seen a lot. So maybe yes matbe no
You mean like this?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	D927A018-4C70-49C5-B820-93A5ADEEC483.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	584331  

The Following User Says Thank You to FASTASSBIRD For This Useful Post: