Old 04-02-2023, 01:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Anytime anyone is within a half mile of me with those super bright blue headlights my instinct momentarily says "cop".

The Following User Says Thank You to Greg Reid For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2023, 08:35 AM

Hey guys, new member here. Just picked up a 66 Leman's and looking to upgrade the headlights as well. I know this thread is a few months old but hoping I could get some clarification on parts. I have two links of two different bulbs from the same manufacturer. Can you just confirm which one is the correct one to purchase that will fit in the 5 and 3/4 lens?

LIGHTENING DARK H4 LED Headlight Bulb, Hi/Lo Beam 9003 HB2 LED Lights 60W 12000LM Extremely Bright 6500K Xenon White Fanless All-in-One Halogen Replacement Conversion Kit, Pack of 2
https://a.co/d/1MG0niR

Or

LIGHTENING DARK H4 LED Headlight Bulbs, 20000LM 80W 6500K Cool White 9003 HB2 Conversion Kit Halogen Replacement - Pack of 2
https://a.co/d/2O1wchN

Thanks again for any help and happy to be a part of this forum.

Old 08-25-2023, 09:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Your second link are the ones I use in several cars. Work great.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
The Following User Says Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2023, 10:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

A few years ago, I put in Hella with halogen H4 bulbs. Now I notice they look like they are getting cloudy on the inside which would diminish the output. I had used the Hella because at that time it seemed like all the LED had a fairly large heat sink on the backside. I don't have enough space for that and would have had to cut the radiator support for clearance, so I used the Hella.

Now I am seeing some LED from Holley that look no larger than an old sealed beam. Anybody tried those yet? Not cheap even by LED standards.

Old 08-25-2023, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
Your second link are the ones I use in several cars. Work great.
Thank you FJ!!! I'll post how it turns out.

Old 08-25-2023, 02:42 PM
Senior Chief

Here’s the holleys but they are ridiculously priced . Super bright though and no mods to the buckets
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2485.jpeg
Views:	157
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	618784  

Old 08-25-2023, 03:01 PM

I have the Holleys (quad 4x6 setup) and they were better than my previous Philips LED replacements, which were already good except for an internal cosmetic melting issue. Good throw and brightness, exceptional cutoff, no glare for oncoming traffic. Only thing I don't like is the Holley logo smack in the middle of the lens, and I'd rather they were glass than polycarbonate.

Old 08-25-2023, 03:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have the 7" dappers...paid too much and the lo beam is disappointing - high beam is great which was my goal in deert country

I had to upgrade the flasher when I changed everything to LED...headlights should be fine tho

'74 T/A 455 Y-code SD clone

previously on Dawson's Creek:

'74 T/A 400
'81 AMC SX/4
'69 FB 350
Old 08-28-2023, 08:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfilean View Post
A few years ago, I put in Hella with halogen H4 bulbs. Now I notice they look like they are getting cloudy on the inside which would diminish the output. I had used the Hella because at that time it seemed like all the LED had a fairly large heat sink on the backside. I don't have enough space for that and would have had to cut the radiator support for clearance, so I used the Hella.

Now I am seeing some LED from Holley that look no larger than an old sealed beam. Anybody tried those yet? Not cheap even by LED standards.
I ran the hella's for a while too, and used the best bulbs i could at the time, and paineless relay. the relay kit certainly helped, and so did the good H4 bulbs
i swapped to Vision X lights, and without a doubt, a million times better.
not exactly the look i wanted, but it's grown on me
i like the halos too, adds brightness
they are nice and bright without being offensive, CLEAN white light, draws hardly any power. WELL worth it
Vision X is one of the best out there
Many big Rig guys LOVE them.
They light up the dessert roads so nicely, and i hardly ever use the brights, because man.... they light up like you are a jetliner coming in for a landing in the darkest of night, they are that awesome
not to mention super light, easy to install, and small in size.

Old 08-28-2023, 09:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It would be helpful to know if these housings people are buying/recommending are plastic or glass.

I prefer the glass housings I buy from Amazon. Plastic always seems to yellow over time, and/or the clear coating that they spray on the outside starts peeling after a few years in the Arizona sun here.

Don, are those Vision X the bulbs I see in some cars that looks like they have 10 eyeballs? Just curious. More of a modern appearance I think that looks fine on newer cars I guess, but not something I want to see in a classic. I didn't see a standard looking round headlight on their website.

I'm asking these questions as I'm open to other ideas and lots of great suggestions but have yet to find something that works/looks better than what I'm currently using and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 08-28-2023, 10:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sylvania hologens , nice & white / clear $10.00 per bulb / plug & play no mods

Old 08-28-2023, 10:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
They light up the dessert roads so nicely, and i hardly ever use the brights, because man.... they light up like you are a jetliner coming in for a landing in the darkest of night, they are that awesome
I once had a 68 Chev I had aircraft landing lights in the high beam sockets. Talk about bright. You had to be careful where you used them. I once checked how far away I could see some of those big green interstate signs. About 2 miles out. But they didn't have a lot of beam spread. About like spotlights.

Old 08-28-2023, 08:01 PM

I just got done installing these. Couldn't have been easier. Took 20 mins total. Not sure why my camera picks up the light as yellowish, but it is anything but yellow. It's a bright white almost on the verge of blue tint. I appreciate all the help!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20230828_232711942.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	619011   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20230828_232702284.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	619012  

The Following User Says Thank You to Mleads310 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2023, 10:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the update - those look great!

Old 08-29-2023, 11:21 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I used the MAD relay kit on high and low beams then installed halogen lights on my 69 GTO. Its as bright as most new cars and the light is white, not yellow.

Old 10-10-2023, 12:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
These are the ones I buy

https://www.amazon.com/LIGHTENING-DA...%2C140&sr=8-38

They are only a couple more dollars $43 vs $49 with 20,000 lumens vs 14,000. They also sell a version with 22,000 lumens but the price jumps to $75
I've had these in my cart since I saw your link.

Thought I'd bump the thread and note they're on sale for $39.99 for Prime Day.