Old 04-13-2008, 06:07 PM
Senior Chief

Default Bench Testing a Starter and Solenoid

What is the procedure for bench testing a starter and solenoid? Also What are the two small terminals on the solenoid? I only had one wire hooked up to the small terminal marked S. Nothing on the terminal marked R.

Johnny
Old 04-13-2008, 06:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

To bench test: connect a positive battery cable from a battery to the large bolt on the solenoid and the negative batt cable to the starter metal frame. Jump the "S" terminal to the battery positve (or the large bolt). Hold the starter down because it'll jerk a bit when the solenoid engages and the motor starts to spin.

You usually don't need the "R" terminal; some fiirebirds used it but generally "A' and "B" bodies did not.

George

Old 04-13-2008, 08:17 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks, that sounds simple enough.

Johnny