Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 03-26-2023, 11:10 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default headlights

Hello, I have a 1967 GTO with the factory headlights. As most know they are not very good at night. I would like to upgrade to brighter lights. LED or something. I do not want to spend a fortune doing this. Can someone recommend some good inexpensive headlights that will be bright at night. I do not want to have to damage the headlight housing to fit the new lights.
thanks in advance
alan

Old 03-26-2023, 11:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I just put my T3 headlights on high....

Old 03-26-2023, 11:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The halogen headlights are the next step up from stock. I find them to be fine in most night driving conditions. Do your headlights produce white light, or do they seem reddish or dim? The factory wiring and switch can cause the headlights to be dim if the wiring connections are corroded or damaged. Also check the headlight grounds, there is one on either side of the car. Also make sure the system voltage is 13.8-14.7 when running, low alternator output or bad cables can make the lights dim too.

White '67 LeMans 407/TH350/Ford 3.89... RIP
Red '67 LeMans. 407/TH400/Ford 3.25
The Following User Says Thank You to chiphead For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2023, 11:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I kept hoping the Holley direct fit LED lights would come down in price. They supposedly fit with no mods and put out very good light. Alas, they haven't come down and the price to me is excessive.

Old 03-27-2023, 11:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I forgot about the lower amperage draw...an added bonus for our old cars with mediocre charging systems from the factory.

Old 03-27-2023, 01:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtospieg View Post
I forgot about the lower amperage draw...an added bonus for our old cars with mediocre charging systems from the factory.
Yep, easier on the headlight switch too. I didn't think much of that aspect of it until I installed a set on the Chevelle that I run a Sniper Stealth on, and have that digital readout on the voltage. I picked up voltage at idle with the LED change

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 03-27-2023, 08:19 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtospieg View Post

Speaking of low amp draw, I needed to replace a burned out turn signal bulb on an ‘05 Dakota truck that I used to own several years ago. Went to Autozone and bought a bunch of LED replacements for turn signals, brake lights, etc thinking I was forever done changing burned out filament bulbs.

However, my brilliance was foiled… the LED bulbs had such low amp draw compared to the filaments, the truck still thought that the bulb was burned out and was doing that “fast blink” when I engaged the turn signals. Doh!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Following User Says Thank You to Vid For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2023, 11:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Before changing lights you should try putting n a really kit, it puts direct 12 volts to light instead of about 10.5 after going thru switch etc.
I just have cheapy non halogen lamps and the relay made a lot of difference. Either build your really kit yourself or by a kit either on eBay or Amazon.
Ebay 234907695011 or Amazon. Painless wiring kit https://www.painlessperformance.com/wc/30814..

I used the headlamp dimmer switch output to headlamps to trigger the relays, and made my own wiring harness using new headlamp pigtails
from any part store, bought some packard wire terminals, and wired it in. amazing difference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Quad lamps.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	609731  

Old 03-26-2023, 12:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I simply use the conversion housings sold all over on Amazon for about $20 a piece that accept the H4 LED replacement bulbs.

For LED's I prefer the Lightening Dark LED's also sold on Amazon for about $50 a pair. After using several they are the only one's I've come across that project a very nice beam.

So for about $100 you can have very bright LED headlights that work fantastic.

I've converted the Chevelle, the Firebird, the Camaro, my sons Mustang, dad's GTO, and will likely do the Nomad and the Vega at some point. No modifications necessary on any of these cars.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2023, 08:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
I simply use the conversion housings sold all over on Amazon for about $20 a piece that accept the H4 LED replacement bulbs.

For LED's I prefer the Lightening Dark LED's also sold on Amazon for about $50 a pair. After using several they are the only one's I've come across that project a very nice beam.

So for about $100 you can have very bright LED headlights that work fantastic.

I've converted the Chevelle, the Firebird, the Camaro, my sons Mustang, dad's GTO, and will likely do the Nomad and the Vega at some point. No modifications necessary on any of these cars.
Trying to clarify something for myself here. There's no need to change the factory T-3 plugs?
Also, did you use the same recommended LEDs for your dad's four lamp setup? Are there separate high beam and low beam lamps or do you use the same lamp for all four?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greg Reid For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2023, 09:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
Trying to clarify something for myself here. There's no need to change the factory T-3 plugs?
Also, did you use the same recommended LEDs for your dad's four lamp setup? Are there separate high beam and low beam lamps or do you use the same lamp for all four?
No need to modify the plugs on the cars, the H4's come with a male plug already wired in. Yes used the same LED's for the 4 lamp setup. They just tell you on the high beam lamps the 3rd prong isn't used. It's literally just a plug and play swap, no different really than changing out a burnt incandescent bulb. Once you figure out how the H4 bulb is inserted and clocked you're home free.

Last edited by Formulajones; 03-27-2023 at 09:35 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2023, 12:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I use a relay on Halogens and it puts out decent light. But I'm getting older, and night driving is different than it once was. I also think we lose some tolerance for the lesser lighting with more exposure to the much better lighting of the newer vehicles that most of us drive most often.

Old 03-26-2023, 12:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott65 View Post
I use a relay on Halogens and it puts out decent light. But I'm getting older, and night driving is different than it once was. I also think we lose some tolerance for the lesser lighting with more exposure to the much better lighting of the newer vehicles that most of us drive most often.
Yep and that's the whole reason I've converted most of the old cars here. We drive them a lot and night driving as you get older, as some know, isn't as easy as it once was.

May as well join the club, all the new cars on the roads these days use LED's.

Old 03-26-2023, 12:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I will eventually. I just was holding out for the simple way to become at least a little more affordable.

Old 03-26-2023, 02:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I will eventually. I just was holding out for the simple way to become at least a little more affordable.
I know what you mean, especially with too many cars. I didn't do it for the longest time because of cost. Some of those kits are just down right crazy on prices, and too many options like halo stuff that I don't ever care to use, or look at on a classic car.

Tons of searching and trial and error led me to the conversion housings, which can also be expensive, but I found them on Amazon at affordable prices.

Here are the 7" I use, and they also sell the 5 3/4"

https://www.amazon.com/IPCW-CWC-7006...%2C118&sr=8-31

Then I tried 5 or 6 different H4 LED's and was just never happy with the light projection and the high beams never made a difference. I fooled around with that for a long time and probably spent more $ than I care to admit until I finally landed on Lightening Dark LED's and that was the ticket for us. Nice beam projection and the high beam actually works.

https://www.amazon.com/LIGHTENING-DA...s%2C135&sr=8-2

Hope that helps.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2023, 04:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
I know what you mean, especially with too many cars. I didn't do it for the longest time because of cost. Some of those kits are just down right crazy on prices, and too many options like halo stuff that I don't ever care to use, or look at on a classic car.

Tons of searching and trial and error led me to the conversion housings, which can also be expensive, but I found them on Amazon at affordable prices.

Here are the 7" I use, and they also sell the 5 3/4"

https://www.amazon.com/IPCW-CWC-7006...%2C118&sr=8-31

Then I tried 5 or 6 different H4 LED's and was just never happy with the light projection and the high beams never made a difference. I fooled around with that for a long time and probably spent more $ than I care to admit until I finally landed on Lightening Dark LED's and that was the ticket for us. Nice beam projection and the high beam actually works.

https://www.amazon.com/LIGHTENING-DA...s%2C135&sr=8-2

Hope that helps.
Do these fit without modifications to the bucket or bezel?

Old 03-28-2023, 05:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Do these fit without modifications to the bucket or bezel?
Yes, every car I've done here was a drop in replacement with no mods.

The Following User Says Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2023, 01:45 PM

I’ve put headlight relays on 3 different vehicles, all showed a big improvement even with old bulbs. I believe sealed beam bulbs get dimmer the older they get, perhaps just changing out the bulbs will get you what you want. Multiple companies make higher output halogen sealed beams, i have Sylvania Silverstars on my LeMans. I really like the light output and prefer halogen to HID because of the warmer color. I find the white light of an HID to be harsh.

Another thing you can do is disassemble the light switch, if I remember right it’s just a sliding brass bar that hits other contacts, just clean off the contacts and bar and lube it with dielectric grease.

Old 03-26-2023, 02:09 PM

I cleaned all my contacts and checked the grounds before putting in halogen bulbs for my low beams. Still running T3 for the high beams. It's working OK so far for my 68 y.o. eyes.

Old 03-26-2023, 02:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll check into it. Thanks!