Old 01-19-2024, 09:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Another 8 lug question

According to the information that I have Pontiac changed the 8 lug trim rings and lug nuts part way through the model year. The early ones have the 1960-61 style and the late ones have the 1963 style. Anyone know about when the change occurred?

Old 01-19-2024, 10:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You didn't say specifically but I assume you're talking about 1962 cars - I'm not aware of a specific changeover date.

Old 01-19-2024, 11:33 PM

Old 01-20-2024, 12:47 AM

Good link for original 8-lug parts listings and more (scroll to the bottom of each page and click Next to get through all pages):

http://www.teufert.net/pontiac/8lug/8lug.htm

HTH

Like Stuart, I am not aware of a mid-year (or late year) change in '62.

'63 Bonneville Convertible
'56 Safari
'82 Firebird SE
The Following User Says Thank You to Rachelsdad For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2024, 01:02 AM

The reference you linked does list "60-62E" and "62L-68" part numbers [Early / Late] for trim rings and the lug nuts. When that changed, don't know.

Old 01-20-2024, 01:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Rachelsdad the link you just posted shows an early and a late trim ring and nuts.

Old 01-23-2024, 12:18 AM

Now that I look more closely (vs just copy/paste a link from my bookmarks - LOL), I see you're right. I don't have any better info to offer with more exact dates. I'll keep my eyes open, but I doubt something like that is likely to surface any time soon.

'56 Safari
'82 Firebird SE
Old 01-23-2024, 05:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ed Giolma told me probably twenty years ago that the rims with the flat ring around the edge began to be installed in January or February of '62. He made no mention of the thin trim rings or acorn lug nuts changing during the model year. It was his opinion that the rims changed as each assembly plant ran out of the original style.

Old 01-23-2024, 06:38 PM

That sounds entirely plausible to me.

This kind of reminds me of what I went through when ordering my '82 Firebird SE. I ordered the car with a WS-6 performance package (oversized stabilizer bars front and rear, disc brakes all around, 15" wheels, and posi-traction). Because I ordered my car in what was considered "an incompatible color scheme" (charcoal grey exterior with camel tan leather interior), the dealer (Myrtle Motors, in Maspeth, Queens, NY) had to pull in some favors. The factory[1] advised that if I could wait for it, they would run me a one-off car at the end of the model year. Sometime around August, I was told that they had superseded the WS-6 with the WS-7, which was all the same except drum brakes on the rear axle. Why? Because Camaros & Firebirds shared common parts on an as-needed basis, and Chevy pulled the last of the disc brake axles, none were left. I took delivery of my car on September 29 of '82. Go figure!

---
1. All Firebirds and Camaros were built in Norwood, Ohio at the time, in the same plant - not sure before or after.

'56 Safari
'82 Firebird SE
Old 01-23-2024, 07:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61-63 View Post
Ed Giolma told me probably twenty years ago that the rims with the flat ring around the edge began to be installed in January or February of '62. He made no mention of the thin trim rings or acorn lug nuts changing during the model year. It was his opinion that the rims changed as each assembly plant ran out of the original style.
Ed probably knows as much about them as anyone.