Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 10-27-2013, 09:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default New mechanical fuel pump - now flooding?

Had my fuel pump give out on me while doing a freeway run last month and replaced it with a parts store Airtex unit. A quick drive around the neighborhood seemed to indicate all was well.

Yesterday I ran some errands yesterday and it almost stalled almost every time I came to a stop. After a quick stop at the store I fired it up and it immediately stalled out. I took a peek under the hood and noticed the top of the carb was soaked in fuel. The car was facing a little bit down hill so I pushed to the other side of the lot where it was facing uphill figuring I could lower the float level a little bit. I was able to get it started but not without smoking out the entire supermarket parking lot. There was what appeared to be raw fuel on the tailpipes when I got home. You could clearly smell it.

All the plugs are soot black. I disassembled the carb and nothing looked extra out of order other than the accelerator pump looking a little tired. I'm going to go ahead and rebuild it since I have it apart.

Flooding has never been a problem. Is it possible this new pump is putting out too much pressure?

'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)
Old 10-27-2013, 09:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What make carb ?

Jim

65 Catalina sedan. Allen Thomas Performance 495. KRE Heads at 310cfm ported by SD Performance, ProSystems Dominator carb on ported Victor intake, P-Dude custom grind hydraulic roller, MSD ignition, 3.50 Moser/Ford rear. F-Glass front bumper by son Rob, rear by the old man and joint effort for trunk lid. 3950# w/driver. Best of 9.5761/139 on 175 shot, 6.01 /114 in 1/8.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:38 PM

If you are running a Quadrajet I am sure they don't like high fuel pressure (~4psi max).
Best bet it to put a temporary in line fuel gauge and see what you have.
Either ways I'd bet your have too fuel pressure.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdoro 68 View Post
Had my fuel pump give out on me while doing a freeway run last month and replaced it with a parts store Airtex unit. A quick drive around the neighborhood seemed to indicate all was well.

Yesterday I ran some errands yesterday and it almost stalled almost every time I came to a stop. After a quick stop at the store I fired it up and it immediately stalled out. I took a peek under the hood and noticed the top of the carb was soaked in fuel. The car was facing a little bit down hill so I pushed to the other side of the lot where it was facing uphill figuring I could lower the float level a little bit. I was able to get it started but not without smoking out the entire supermarket parking lot. There was what appeared to be raw fuel on the tailpipes when I got home. You could clearly smell it.

All the plugs are soot black. I disassembled the carb and nothing looked extra out of order other than the accelerator pump looking a little tired. I'm going to go ahead and rebuild it since I have it apart.

Flooding has never been a problem. Is it possible this new pump is putting out too much pressure?
Could be a foreign object was keeping the needle off the seat so the fuel was just pouring in. Too much pressure is always possible but it would have been flooding from the beginning. I run an Airtex and have zero issues with pressure.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYGOAT View Post
If you are running a Quadrajet I am sure they don't like high fuel pressure (~4psi max).
Best bet it to put a temporary in line fuel gauge and see what you have.
Either ways I'd bet your have too fuel pressure.
The 1972 Pontiac Service Manual says you should have anywhere between 3 and 6.5PSI for fuel pressure running the Q-Jet.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66bonne View Post
What make carb ?

Jim
'68 Q-Jet rebuilt to one of Cliff's mild recipes in his book about 6 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72LuxuryLeMansLa. View Post
Could be a foreign object was keeping the needle off the seat so the fuel was just pouring in. Too much pressure is always possible but it would have been flooding from the beginning. I run an Airtex and have zero issues with pressure.
I thought it might be junk in there too since the last pump let go but I didn't see anything out of the ordinary. I figured I'd tear it down and clean it really good anyway.

Maybe I'll see about picking up a reasonable fuel pressure gauge this week.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdoro 68 View Post
'68 Q-Jet rebuilt to one of Cliff's mild recipes in his book about 6 years ago.

I thought it might be junk in there too since the last pump let go but I didn't see anything out of the ordinary. I figured I'd tear it down and clean it really good anyway.

Maybe I'll see about picking up a reasonable fuel pressure gauge this week.
I'm looking at Airtex's website and for the '68 GTO with a 400 it has the pump rated at 5.25-6PSI pressure so this should not be a problem unless there is a defect. The large canister like I use on my '72 is rated between 6.5-9PSI and I don't have any issues. As far as not seeing any blockage it doesn't take much. If you are cleaning it you should also check that the needle is seating completely. There is a procedure in Cliff's book if you have it. If not I can type it up for you.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:19 PM
Boost Engineer

Lot of the current chevy and ford pumps are coming thru with the wrong springs per several of my buddies (at work) with those cars. Say the idle fuel pressure with a gage on the line is 7-8 psi. Check the fuel pressure with an accurate gage.

Most of the "fixes" have been installing a fuel pressure regulator before the carb.

One guy tried 3 different pumps with the same result.

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

+2 on too much fuel pressure. The 1967-68 carburetors still used the early float/hinge pin design, and they do not like a lot of fuel pressure. These early carburetors are pretty much limited to 6psi with a .135" fuel inlet seat and large stock float in them.....Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
The Following User Says Thank You to Cliff R For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2013, 07:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Any older sections of rubber hose that you may have on the out bound side of the pump to the carb sould get replaced with new hose rated for use with the new gas these days.
one.003" item of crap from the old hose will have the carb flooding out and old hose can do that at any time, most times when your 100 miles or more away from home on Sunday night in the rain!!!

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 10-28-2013, 05:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm running a factory metal fuel line from the pump to the carb so putting in an inline gauge or regulator is a little bit of a hassle without rigging some new lines and fittings.

Is there a particular brand of fuel pump that tends to be better than others? A new pump is less expensive than a pressure gauge so I may just gamble and order one along with a carb kit from Cliff and see where it takes me.

Old 10-28-2013, 06:34 PM

Buy another fuel pump.
Bought a napa one last year and the Qjet started flooding,
I figured dirt in the carb. rebuilt it, still flooded, took the carb apart again still flooded, bought a fuel pressure gauge and it would build to 12 lbs.
Got another pump, no more problems.
Hope this helps.

Old 10-28-2013, 06:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just ordered a Carter M4690 from RockAuto for about $30. Had good luck with their stuff in the past, we'll see if it helps.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had the exact same thing happen when I trusted an auto parts cheapie fuel pump. Pump was putting out way too much pressure. I went to the GM dealer and got a new AC Delco for a 69 GTO the one with the return line and no problems since.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Had a couple inquiries as to how this has been going. Between work and home projects I haven't had a lot of time to devote to the car lately.

The good news is I painstakingly refreshed my carb with one of Cliff's HP kits. The only thing I found that was obviously wrong was a missing check ball by the accelerator pump. I put the carb together last time so I'm the only one to blame for that.

Finally got around to pulling the Carter pump out of the package this afternoon. It appears to be the exact same unit as the Airtex so I'm not sure it will solve my problem.

The Airtex pump is stamped 40607 5112 while the Carter pump is stamped 40607 4812. Aside from the last 4 digits, every other stamping is identical. Guess I'll still install it and see how it goes. RockAuto doesn't list a Delco pump for '68, but they do for '69. However, all the other pump part numbers (Airtex/Carter etc) are different for '69. Is there any reason they would be different?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1463.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	249.8 KB
ID:	343514   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1465.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	343516   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1466.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	343517  

Last edited by Verdoro 68; 11-17-2013 at 09:55 PM.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:36 PM
Boost Engineer

The one pump has a return fuel provision so I would suspect that drove the part number change. All of the pumps are the same basic housing configuration. The lever arm construction and the pump spring typically set the pressure. Some of the old Carter Pumps had the "6-Valve" main bodies.

Tom Vaught

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Look closely. Both those pumps have returns.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:28 PM
Boost Engineer

Obviously I need new Computer Glasses!

There it was right in front of me. LOL!

That being said I retract the PN change being due to the Fuel Return provision.

Tom Vaught

Old 11-18-2013, 08:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Pontiac Fuel Pumps

Perhaps you have the incorrect Fuel Pump.

This is a photo of the different Pontiac Fuel Pumps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pontiac Fuel Pumps.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	343623  

Old 11-18-2013, 09:13 PM
Suspended

The pumps with the larger canister are generally for cars with A/C. The difference in the larger canister ones to is the way the feeds point, the way they point is weather it's an A , F,G or X body & the others are for the B&C body cars.